PDA

View Full Version : Modem goes online - nothing happens

Curly
11-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Checked FAQ but nothing helpful.

Toshiba Satellite 4360, 190 odd Ram, 40 gig HDD, Win2000Pro.

The system dials up OK and is connected at 52 Kpbs, the two little screens in the taskbar are there. Go to a webpage and a very small amount of data is transferred (300 odd) and nothing thereafter.

A toshiba data,fax modem is detected toshiba fax,data, Ver 5.41G6), in control panel and the diagnostics show that everything is OK.

I have deleted both the mail and internet accounts and re-installed them but nothing different happens.

Just prior to the machine dropping the connection, the message "The host pop3.paradise.net.nz, could not be found". Obviously this message is significant but where do I go to find the problem?

Murray P
11-09-2004, 01:31 PM
What email client and browser are you using, suspect changed server setting in these, ie, Internet Options > Servers

Cheers Murray P

Curly
11-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi Murry P, thanks for reply.

Using IE version 5 and Outlook Express version 5 as well.

Went to Internet Options > but could not find any reference to servers.

I should have mentioned that I deleted the previous mail and IE accounts and reinstalled same. The mail POP3 and SMTP details are quite correct. Yet I know it must have something to do with the setup and not the modem.

I have an account with Freenet, from the old Zfree days, and that produces the same result. That is it connects fine but no data transfers.

Bit stumped :-(

Jen C
11-09-2004, 03:58 PM
What about your firewall? Have you tried temporarily disabling it to rule it out?

Gorela
11-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Just as a matter of interest, are you running a firewall? Some firewalls (ZoneAlarm for instance) allow the user to "Block all Connections" and with this enabled you will have this type of problem ;)

Could be worth a look :)

brig
11-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Don't know about Windows 2000, but this happened to me occasionally when I ran W98........ reinstalling TCP/IP fixed it

brig

beama
11-09-2004, 07:13 PM
have you tried a ping
when connected
go to a comand prompt type in
ping www.myisp.co.nz

let us know the results

Curly
13-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Sorry for delay folks, work took me away unexpectantly.

To METLA - nothing happens for a while ,then- unknown host www.myisp.co.nz

To OTHERS - no firewall installed at present, well I have got Agnitum, but it is dissabled as I thought it might be causing the problem too.

I sometimes see the message something about svchost.exe and another sys???.exe. No sure about the sys etc as it was just a brief flash on the screen. Putting svchost into Google produces a large number of hits, some of which seem to conflict with each other. Some say svchost.exe is a virus, others say no, it is a part of Win2000. Need a techno person to spell it out for me.

There were a couple of other posts, but I cannot see them from this screen.

Thanks to all for your time and effort to reply. :-)

drcspy
13-09-2004, 10:01 AM
reinstall your winsock system files...........

mark c
13-09-2004, 10:18 AM
You're right about svchost sometimes scvhost, one is a legit part of windows one is a virus or maybe a trojan. I forget. Put one or the other or both into the search here at Pressf1 and read the threads about. Note the spelling, one is svc, the other is scv. HTH:)

Murray P
13-09-2004, 12:14 PM
> Went to Internet Options > but could not find any reference to servers.

Internet Options > Connections tab > check both Lan Settings button and Settings.

So your OE email account server settings are OK! If everything checks out reinstall DUN. I would also upgrade to later versions of IE and OE or ditch them entirely in favour of non MS products.

Cheers Murray P

Peter M
13-09-2004, 11:59 PM
reinstalling TCP/IP & re-install winsock system files. How is this done on Win 98? I have had this problem as well for a while and this might be the answer I need.

zqwerty
14-09-2004, 12:20 AM
svchost.exe is the ok one, scvhost is bad.