PDA

View Full Version : Sasser writer busted

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2004, 03:23 AM
Yup, read all about it:
http://www.securitypipeline.com/news/47101996

There's a /. article too, but Ive lost the URL for it....

Chill.

drb1
11-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Can we take the little rodent out and hang him, perhaps buy his private parts.

andrew93
11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Quote from linked article :

"Sven Jaschan, 18, the hacker who was ratted out by friends eager to cash in on Microsoft's $250,000 reward......"

With friends that like who needs eneies?
:D

drb1
11-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Murray P
11-09-2004, 11:35 AM
He was caught in May guys don't get too exited ;) this was like his depositions hearing as would happen to you if you had done the same thing here and had got caught, different system there.

No doubt they'll drag it out bit by bit, it makes for good copy :p where there hasn't been a lot previously.

Cheers Murray ;P

R2x1
11-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, one down, a squillion to go.
I suppose with the peculiar logic (?) of the legal system, he will be punished according to his skill in writing a virus, rather than his intent.
It has always seemed strange that it is more reprehensible to be malicious and proficient, than to be a malicious incompetent.
(Maybe, since laws and penalties are fabricated by polticians, they wanted to leave themselves a 12 acre escape route in case of accidental discovery. )
R2

Pillar
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
If you wrote one of the best worms/viruses around, why would you tell anyone? Bragging? They can't find you if you do it properly but as soon as you tell someone then with all the huge rewards around they're likely to dob you in.

R2x1
11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
>If you wrote one of the best worms/viruses ar...

A rather interesting (and telling?) use of the word "best".

Jen C
11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
> If you wrote one of the best worms/viruses around,
> why would you tell anyone? Bragging?

It is called having an ego and greed. It is well known that most people just have to tell one person of their deed, and from that point on if money is up for grabs, mouths will open at some point.

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Its far from the best virus....
I would define the best virus as being:
Polymorphic (Dont want it being _easy_ to detect now do we)
Written in assembly (Nice, small, portable)
Self-replicates for XYZ amount of time (Say 24hrs) before doing something nice like fsck'ing the first 1024 bytes of a HDD (Kiss goodbye your partition table and MBR!)

...And I could go on, but why. The assembly code is out there, try vx.netlux.org, but I wash my hands of what you do with the .asm..... You make the best virus out there, come back to me, brag about it, and I'll dob you in (Who wouldnt with $250,000 up for grabs!).

Chill.

drb1
11-09-2004, 01:51 PM
> > If you wrote one of the best worms/viruses around,
> > why would you tell anyone? Bragging?
>
> It is called having an ego and greed. It is well
> known that most people just have to tell one person
> of their deed, and from that point on if money is up
> for grabs, mouths will open at some point.

Its who you run with. look at the late, and missed, Mayer Lansky.

That was an act you did not cross.