PDA

View Full Version : Firewall/Antivirus combos

barmypom
09-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi there,

At the mo I'm using Norton Internet Security 2003 on a Dell Inspiron 4000 PIII 850Mhz.
Runs fine and I quite like Norton. However, I reckon it's a bit of a system hog and my machine takes a while to start up. I might reserve it for my faster pc and find something more lightweight for the laptop.

Can anyone suggest a combination of antivirus and firewall programs that take up very little system resources and are easy to use, and at least as robust as Norton?

I tried Agnitum Outpost once, but that was along time ago.

Cheers.

Mike
09-09-2004, 07:07 PM
>> and at least as robust as Norton?

It'll be hard to find something as robust but using very little resources. You could get something that works, but the better you want it, the more it'll use.

Suggest AVG for antivirus and Kerio for firewall. I'd avoid Zonealarm if I were you (I may be biased though - I have never had much success running ZA on a number of different PCs).

Mike.

godfather
09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I second the suggestion of AVG and Kerio

Murray P
09-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I've used Kerio & AVG in combo with no problems. Recently shifted AV to Nod32 which seems to take up even less resources than AVG and is more configurable as to how, when and what it scans if you need to back it off a bit more. Certainly nothing like the resource hog that Nortons is.

I used Outpost a while back but it had a bug in win2k so I changed to Kerio. Not a bad firewall though and I believe they fixed the bug. Zone didn't impress me too much at all, however some people swear by you give it a whirl but personally I'd go straight to Kerio or Outpost.

Cheers Murray P

barmypom
12-09-2004, 09:16 AM
And the free versions of Kerio and AVG work perfectly fine?

Fire-and-Ice
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
They most certainly do. ;-)