PDA

View Full Version : "Scan for hardware changes" on the desktop

Mike
09-09-2004, 03:38 PM
If I open up device manager (Win XP Pro SP2) and right-click on the computer name at the top of the list on the right-hand-side I get a single option to "Scan for hardware changes". Is it possible to put a shortcut to this option on the desktop?

Mike.

Murray P
09-09-2004, 03:44 PM
It's not much use without the Device Manager. I keep Control Panel in the quick launch area which is the fastest way I can figure of accessing Device Manager apart from right clicking My Computer > Properties but, that's in win2k.

Cheers Murray P

Mike
09-09-2004, 03:49 PM
> It's not much use without the Device Manager.

Well I figured that if I can get a shortcut to run the scan, it'd affect the hardware listed in Device Manager anyway. I shouldn't need to be able to see it on the screen to have it work, right? :)

Basically my (external) modem doesn't always load when I turn on the PC (because I don't always turn the modem on), so to get it to work when I want to use it I have to scan for hardware changes (after I've turned the modem on). It'd be nice to have a shortcut to do it for me without having to open up device manager.

Mike.

Babe Ruth
09-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Mike,

I would use the DEVCON utility available from Microsoft DevCon (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272) download and put the i32 version of devcon.exe in the windows or windows\system32 directory, then you can just create a shortcut using the command: devcon rescan and place it on your desktop.

Cheers, Babe.

Mike
09-09-2004, 04:30 PM
> Mike,
>
> I would use the DEVCON utility available from
> Microsoft
> DevCon (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb
> EN-US;Q311272) download and put the i32
> version of devcon.exe in the windows or
> windows\system32 directory, then you can just create
> a shortcut using the command: devcon rescan