PDA

View Full Version : Fax Server on SBS2000

xrman
09-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I am trying to setup the SBS2000 fax server so users can fax from their desktop. I have added an external 56K fax/data modem (which is on the microsoft HCL list). The server and modem communicate fine (tested with hyper terminal) and I can use hyper terminal to dial an external phone or fax with no problems. However when I try to send a fax thru the fax server it goes into the queue, the transmit/send/receive lights on the modem flash briefly then go out, and the fax server console reports that the line is unavailable. The modem is plugged into a DSL splitter not that, that should be a problem?, as I can dial phone/faxes with hyper terminal without any problem.

Any help most appreciated.

Spacemannz
09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
I dont think fax modems will work thru DSL since its digital. Faxmodems arent. It'll (the faxmodem, will have to be plugged into a normal phoneline/jack).

xrman
09-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Should have made this clearer sorry, the fax/data analog modem isnt plugged into the DSL modem itself, it is plugged into the "phone" connection of the splitter, the DSL modem is plugged into the "ADSL" connection of the splitter. I can make calls thru the analog modem ok using hyper terminal so the problem must be with the fax server setup or some other area, ie ISA (have checked ISA but nothing found as yet)

Spacemannz
09-09-2004, 03:49 PM
This ms site might help

http://www.microsoft.com/Resources/documentation/SBS/2000/all/reskit/en-us/sbrk0007.mspx

Spacemannz
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Arrghhh! That link stuffs up.

CYaBro
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Fixed link (http://www.microsoft.com/Resources/documentation/SBS/2000/all/reskit/en-us/sbrk0007.mspx)

xrman
09-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the link, nothing obvious yet, however in a couple of places it does note that the modem should be connected/configured before installing the fax server. In my case the fax server service was already installed (prior to my joining the company) before I connected the modem, so will try uninstalling/reinstalling the fax server.

ugh1
09-09-2004, 04:51 PM
> I am trying to setup the SBS2000 fax server so users
> can fax from their desktop. I have added an external
> 56K fax/data modem (which is on the microsoft HCL
> list). The server and modem communicate fine (tested
> with hyper terminal) and I can use hyper terminal to
> dial an external phone or fax with no problems.
> However when I try to send a fax thru the fax server
> it goes into the queue, the transmit/send/receive
> lights on the modem flash briefly then go out, and
> the fax server console reports that the line is
> unavailable. The modem is plugged into a DSL splitter
> not that, that should be a problem?, as I can dial
> phone/faxes with hyper terminal without any problem.
>
> Any help most appreciated.

Sounds like the modem is not seeing a dial tone.

Check the fax software to see if it thinks you are on a PABX as it may be telling the modem to look for a different dial tone. Also check it is not trying to dial an outside line...