PDA

View Full Version : Works 4.5 Database

Scouse
08-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi Folks. An old friend has asked for help. Bit beyond me. She has a membership list on 4.5. One of the fields is ADDRESS and is filled with full address such as 45 Williams Street. She wants to create a new field for just the street number and leave only the street name in the old field. A manual task or is there a quick and dirty. Big membership list. Reason is that she wants to sort the list by STREET. Thanks

godfather
08-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Works is a "home edition" of a database, without any fancy parsing tools as far as I am aware. Its very basic.

I do not think there would be any easy way, as I suspect that there is no strict format to the numbering. Some 1 digit, some 2, some 3 and alpha ( a,b,c) included?

Scouse
08-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi gf. Appreciate your thoughts and agree totally. The start of the various street addresses is just as you surmised, from one to four characters. My old friend thinks that my meagre knowledge is all magic but in this case I'll have to admit defeat.

tutaenui
08-09-2004, 11:16 PM
I don't know the answer to this but if anybody does it will be on the Works newsgroup on the Microsoft site.

Scouse
14-09-2004, 10:42 AM
hi Folks. Back again. Decided to manually create two new fields, NUMBER and ROAD. When records have been manually copied from the old STREET field, it will be deleted. NUMBER is created as GENERAL because it will need to hold alpha/numeric for house numbers, flats, etc. As soon as an entry is made in this field for, say, 3/8 - flat 3 in number 8, the field descriptor and all records held under that field change to DATE format. Any simple way of preventing this. Thanks.

tutaenui. Thanks but I could not identify an answer there. Help appreciated.

Fire-and-Ice
14-09-2004, 10:53 AM
> NUMBER is created as GENERAL
> because it will need to hold alpha/numeric for house
> numbers, flats, etc. As soon as an entry is made
> in this field for, say, 3/8 - flat 3 in number 8, the
> field descriptor and all records held under that
> field change to DATE format. Any simple way of
> preventing this. Thanks.

Make it a text field, not general. ;-)

beama
14-09-2004, 10:59 AM
try this
Save the database file as a csv then use excel to extract (the data) to the new feild ( i think the function is "left" )then import back to works (open the modified csv in works database , then save as works database).
Again I havent tried it except to that I just checked my version and it allows a save of file type csv so I am presuming it will allow also a import of a csv

Scouse
14-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi Folks. Thanks Fire/Ice and Beama. The TEXT field covered it nicely. For some wierd reason I had assumed that TEXT would not permit numbers...... Doooo.