PDA

View Full Version : reformatting a txt file

nick01
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi

I have received a heap of information that has been downloaded from an intranet. The material was sent to me as txt files.

When i open these files I find that the software that loaded the information initially into the web pages has inserted 7 spaces to the left of each row of text and at the right hand end of each line is a return.

When this is downloaded into a Word file it takes heaps of time to make it useable.

I came across a programme some time go that would strip the returns from the end of the lines of text. i can't remember where.

Thanks

antmannz
08-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Highlight a return then choose Find & Replace. Replace All with a space.

antmannz
08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Actually, scrub that.

Highlight the return and the initial spaces (as below) in the next line, then select Edit, Replace and Replace All with a space.

eg.
This is row 1 |<-- highlight from here
to here-->|This is row 2

nick01
08-09-2004, 04:10 PM
I am using Word 2000

I selected the return and the 7 spaces on the next line and replaced all with a space. Hit replace all and it said that it had reached the end of the file and no changes were made. Selecting next instead of replace all it couldn't see that the next line was the same.

godfather
08-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Use replace in the normal manner.

In Find, type in 7 spaces
In Replace, leave it blank.

You should have the options to also replace a paragraph mark (return) with nothing, just use More - Special. (assuming Word 2000 has those 2 options)

Billy T
08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
ClipCase is a free utility that will do all that for you. It cleans up multi-forwarded emails and all sorts of formatting rubbish with just a few clicks.

Find it Here (http://www.dougworld.com/clipcase.html)

Originally recommended in PC World. Make your cheques out to:

Billy T's Shady Enterprises (Retirement Fund).

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

nick01
12-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi Billy

Thanks for that it works just fine.

Regards

Nick