PDA

View Full Version : DSE ADSL Router problems

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
We just got ADSL and a DSE ADSL Router. My parents computer is happy with it, it works fine and they're on win2k pro sp4. But I'm on winxp sp1 and I can ping the router, but that's about as far as things go. When I have the router switched on and start my browser, it just does nothing until it times out, (10 seconds). I followed the instructions very very carefully in the setup manual. Either my browsers (IE, MyIE2 and Firefox) are acting silly (highly unlikely) or windows is stopping my browsers from using the router.

Could someone help me?

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I also configured my firewall to allow all incoming connections from the router and my parents computer.

Billy T
07-09-2004, 04:32 PM
How are you sharing the router? Is it via a switch, hub or network connection?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 05:44 PM
The DSE ADSL Router is a router/modem if that answers your question. I don't know that much about networking, just basic IP configuration.

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I think the router is a hub, but I have both pc's networked to it.

Jester
07-09-2004, 05:46 PM
If it is a XH1149 or XH1169 router it has 4 ethernet ports so that's how it would be shared.

First, ensure that the router is set up for more than one Ethernet connection:

Check in the configuration (from the PC that does connect ok, type http://192.168.1.2 in the browser and enter 'admin' as username and 'password' as password (if you haven't set up a new password - which I would do asap).

Now click on LAN on the left hand side under 'Configuration' and ensure that the 'User Mode' is "Multi User". If not (that is, it is currently Single User), change it to Multi User.

Also ensure that DHCP Server is ticked, and, for simplicity, put a tick in System Allocated DHCP address pool selection.

Click "Save these changes and restart the router" and reboot the router.

If it still doesn't connect, go to the network properties in your PC and click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click Properties. On the General TAB, ensure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

You may need to re-boot your PC.

Let us know how you get on.

J
:D

andy
07-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Need more data.
What type of router - model?
How have you set up your network? Did you use the XP wizard?
Does the router issue your machine with an IP address or have you set it manually?
If the router has a built-in DHCP server like the DSE XH7916,1149, or 1169 models, you are probably better off obtaining the address automatically.
If you are connecting via a hub, you may have to set the address manually though - depends on the hardware.
Are your IP address and the routers address on the same subnet?
- the router address should be something like 192.168.1.2 and yours should be in the range 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.240 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
How is your parents PC connected. Is it via a USB connection to the router or a network connector (rj45)?
Is it connected in the same fashion as yours?
Do you have a firewall operating that could be blocking access?

Regards,
andy

Growly
07-09-2004, 06:04 PM
I think you need to set your gateway - but DHCP should do that for you.

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 06:05 PM
No change, I think it has something to do with the proxy settings.

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 06:12 PM
It's a XH1169, both have their IP's selected automaticaly. Didn't use the XP wizard. It's not connected via a hub. We both have zone alarm, so yea, we have firewalls but it seems to work with my parents just fine. Finally, what do you mean by "Is it connected in the same fashion?"

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2004, 06:16 PM
They are both connected directly to the router using straight DSE cat6 cables. I have onboard lan where my parents computer has a DSE network card.

Jester
08-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi again

So, the router is set up as multi-user? Try unplugging the other PC's cable and see if that makes a difference.

Check that the cable isn't a crossover cable. Try using the other PC's cable.

You shouldn't need to enter in any gateways on your PC, but if you do want to, use 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0

Turn off your firewall, or ensure that addresses in the local range (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 should do it) are allowed unrestricted access.

Go to DSE's web page, enter XH1169 as the code, then click the support link and read the FAQ's there.

falvrez
09-09-2004, 07:44 AM
I had the same sort of problem recently with the same router - ended up flashing it and now it works perfectly. Downloaded latest bios from DSE website.

Had to try a coupla desktops to find one that would work with the USB connection and the flash programme, but after that plain sailing.

andy
09-09-2004, 08:33 AM
the problem could be in your pc. I had similar difficulties with my setup. I could not get the onboard NIC to connect to the internet. It is a VIA mobo and I think it had something to do with the VIA 4-in-1 drivers. I eventually gave up, bought a $16 PCI NIC from DSE and it works fine. As this seems to be the only difference in the setup of your 2 machines, it may be worthwhile putting the NIC from your parents PC into yours and see if it works.
andy