PDA

View Full Version : OT - want to buy a new home stereo

falvrez
07-09-2004, 01:11 PM
yes way OT but nowhere else to turn. Makes me seem like a sad case but have had no luck with local small town shops.

I have a Panasonic home stereo system which takes 60 cds. It is bloody brilliant. Stick em in hit random and walk away and never have to take cds in or out again. This unit only cost $400 5 years but it is dead.

Now I'm trying to find another home stereo that takes an equal or even close number of CDs. Can't find one anywhere - most take 3 or 5 at the most.

Has anyone spotted a stereo that takes this many in recent time?
Getting sick of using the DVD player and TV to play CDs!

metla
07-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Why not plug the dvd player into the new stereo,and burn mp3's to dvd.

You could probbly fit your entire cd collection on 1 DVD.

Miami Steve
07-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Sony (http://www.sony.co.nz) have a 300 disc CD changer. Search for CDPCX355.

Cheers
Miami

basil
07-09-2004, 05:48 PM
We have a Sony 300 CD changer and have about 140 CD's in it. It's not old but it's largish and electromechanical like a jukebox, as opposed to newer types that record your CD's onto a hard drive. It plugs into the AUX port of the stereo.
Overall I think it's great - we have a wide range of music that we like and often set it on 'random' and it will pick a track from any of the CD's. Eg we have a CD of Sinatra 1940's stuff, and I wouldn't want to listen to the whole thing at once, but when you get it interspersed between Handel and The Eagles, it's pretty cool. You can also set up 'groups' of music and it will randomise within a group.
We bought it about three years ago but if I was going again, I'd look for a HDD type (don't know of any brands or models). This means no lag while the next CD is found - and you still have all the CD's to play in the car or elsewhere.

Exwesty
07-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I'd also suggest going the hard drive way. 90% of my CDs have been encoded as MP3's and are stored on my PC.
What it means as using Winamp or whatever program you choose, I can search and play any song within seconds, no lag changing between songs, I can play songs from a particular artist or album or genre.
If you're into networking you can share it out to other pc's within your home etc. Mines fed into a small midi system and certainly wakes up the house.
I have found I listen to a wider range of music than fishing in the rack for a CD. Yep I've got a 25 Disc player in the lounge, but on the PC I have the contents of about 200 CD's to listen to instantly.

In most cases using a decent encoder you won't even notice a difference in quality. If your really serious about quality then you could use a shim encoder, this will be half the wav file in size but retain a lot more than a 320Kbit mp3.

falvrez
07-09-2004, 06:25 PM
good suggestions but don't wanna have yet another PC in teh lounge for playing CDs...have got a good collection and prefer to just leave them in a home stereo (as we have been doing) and leave them be. And the one we have now (that's broken) is an all in one unit (not a seperate component) which is fine. Not after high fidelity, just convience...

so yeah still after a micro or mini system that stores heaps of CDs.
Rang up Panasonic today and their biggest unit holds only 8 - give me 60 anyday!

Poppa John
07-09-2004, 08:44 PM
I typed
"60 Disk CD Player" into Google & got hits,, if thats any help???? PJ

agent
07-09-2004, 09:14 PM
You'd expect that with the capability to hold that many CDs, they'd also put in the ability to have the next song chosen and ready to play as soon as the current one finishes. All it'd require is dual lasers, motors, and whatnot.

Sony do have the 300 CD unit (I think they stopped producing the 100 CD version), but it's just a component that you plug into, say, an amplifier.

Personal choice would be to go for a component stereo system, rather than something that tries (even if it is successful at trying) to do everything itself.

falvrez
08-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks PJ

I did try 60 disc cd in google but if you search NZ only you don't get any hits relevant to what I'm after...
I did find the Sony MHC-GSX100W globally but can't seem to find this one sold here. Bummer.

metla
08-09-2004, 09:53 AM
the 300 cd changer mentioned earlier is listed by what apears to be a nz site.

http://www.dvdshop.co.nz/shop/product.aspx?asin=B00006I5SQ

But the blurb futher down?....All Prices shown are in US Dollars. DVD titles are Region 1 encoded. dvdshop does not stock any items - all items are shipped from Amazon.com in the USA. Some Amazon.com shipping restrictions apply for visitors outside the USA. For any product or shipping queries, please contact Amazon.com. Thank you.

what a freakin joke,its amazon in a new skin.

Earnie Moore
08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi falvrez here is my donation.

Forget the complete stereo system, go for a discrete unit system,
Get a Amplifier, and a tuner, and a CD player, get the flow, this is what I did ##### years ago, I still have the amplifier, in fact I fixed it last night, one channel was beginning to fade away, I got a AM/FM tuner ### years ago, now last time I checked the AM stations, they had all gone away, if this happened to you, you could just the take the radio tuner in to get fixed and you could still listen to CD's in the mean time, get the flow, If you get a CD player, I would stay away from multi-stack units, when they need to be fixed the mechanical timing could be a worry to the service technician, pushing up the service bill, get the flow,

This posting has not been sponsored by "get the flow" oh dear how sad, never mind.

dipstick01
08-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Multi disc cd changers are becoming quite rare nowdays with the advent of mp3. Apart from the 300 disc Sony as mentioned (instruction manual states not to connect more than 4 in line lol) there are usually only the 5 or 6 disc units. However I have found my mp3 playing DVD player is more than ample for the job. I have half a dozen Cd's burnt (all with the originals please note) and I throw one on depending on the mood and what I want playing. Hell grab a 5 disc player and give yourself days worth of listening.

As for the all in one type stereos etc, and this includes Home Theatre, I suggest you look at a component stereo system. If some thing plays up or dies on you it can be replaced without buying an entire new stereo. There are some quite good quality units available from about $1500 up for complete packages. Hell we were selling some very nice Onkyo systems for $2000 including sub. I actually brought the next model up for myself

. Best way to buy a stereo is take your favourite cd into the shop. Make sure it is a song you know well and find the stereo that plays it back to YOUR ear the best. You will be told 1000000002 different brands models and other general crap but you are the person buying it so go with your preference.

falvrez
09-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Has anyone had anything at all to do with the Insight Solution Media Box? Found a review here http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=25

If using this beast I could dump my dvd player and stereo and have the one unit and hook it into the LAn at home for occasional visits to PF1.

Just worried they may be a troublesome beast since it uses Win XP...
But price around $500 inc GSt which I thought not too bad, If it comes with XP Home and XP home is $X how can they sell this unit for $500? I relaise they doesn't include a monitor and it's a low cost CPU but seems very reasonable. Speakers even (by reading reviews) seem to have good quality output.

Any experience with this unit?

Thanx again

Pete O\'Neil
09-09-2004, 09:48 AM
> Thanks for the advice guys.
>
> Has anyone had anything at all to do with the Insight
> Solution Media Box? Found a review here
> http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=
> howpage&pid=25
>
> If using this beast I could dump my dvd player and
> stereo and have the one unit and hook it into the LAn
> at home for occasional visits to PF1.
>
> Just worried they may be a troublesome beast since it
> uses Win XP...
> But price around $500 inc GSt which I thought not too
> bad, If it comes with XP Home and XP home is $X how
> can they sell this unit for $500? I relaise they
> doesn't include a monitor and it's a low cost CPU but
> seems very reasonable. Speakers even (by reading
> reviews) seem to have good quality output.
>
> Any experience with this unit?
>
> Thanx again

A modded Xbox would do the same job and it would be cheaper too. The system listed above just uses a EPIA CPU and Mobo you could buy it locally and build it yourself. I think your heading in the right direction though, CD changers are a thing of the past, converting your music to MP3's or whatever gives you more options. Perhaps look a buying a nice amp and 5.1 speakers and then build a small multi media PC/Xbox/EPIA. Being based on a PC means that if new media formats are released chance are that you can download a codec or peice of software and be able to uses that new media. If you using a componet such as a DVD or CD player you'd have to go out and get a new componet to use the new media.

Plus imagine all techy fun you can have building and configuring your own media system :D