PDA

View Full Version : USB Data Link Cable

Tobas
07-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Recently I purchased a USL-1012 USB Data Link Cable from Warehouse Stationary.

The cable came with a floppy driver disk.

I installed the drivers onto my desktop and additionally my laptop. In both cases the drivers installed ok and of course I installed the cable between both computers.

No matter what I tried I could not select a file and transfer it to the other computer.

I went back to warehouse stationary but they were unable to be of any assistance. There were no instructions that came with the package and nor was there anything on the disk.

Guess the answer will be pretty simply, but any thoughts on how I can get the file transfers going?

Both computers have Win2000Pro.

Rob99
07-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Are the files shared

Tobas
07-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi Rob99

Not that I am aware of. I looked up file sharing in Help, but it also included printers i.e. File and Printer Sharing. Am I in the right area?

All I wish to do is copy a small database from the Desktop to the laptop, there will be no interaction between the computers once it is done.

Is file sharing needed to achieve this?

Graham L
07-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Even different brands have to work the same way. Go to Dick Smith's (http://dse.co.nz/) and search for XH8177. Use the more link in that page and go to the support page. There's a PDF manual which you can download and read. There' s also a driver package ... it won't do any harm to try that. :D It might work.

In Google, usb "data transfer cable" download and look at the 3rd link (meritline.com) and 5th (harddrives4less.com) will also have manuals and drivers ...

It might be something simple ... USB devices and their drivers are notorious for being fussy about which the computer sees first. :D Some hate the driver being loaded before the device is plugged in for the first time. Others won't work if the driver isn't loaded before the hardware is plugged in the first time. Some manufacturers tell you to do it one way in the instructions -- then it doesn't actually work that way. :_|

Your files will need to be in a "shared" directory, and in XP you need matching user/passowrd on both machines (or having the Guest account enabled in the host might work).