PDA

View Full Version : AGP 2x?

icyred
06-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Got a neighbour whose ancient computer, a cobbled together jobby based around a Compaq mobo, with a Pentium II Cpu (didn't look at rating of CPU), has spat the dummy on its AGP card, a compaq-supplied, or so it appears, MatroxG2 2x AGP. I've loaned them an old 2x AGP that I had sitting around, so they can continue using their computer, but obviously they want to get their own card, if they can. Do 2x AGP cards still exist, or would it be easier to try and source a PCI 3d Card ? As I understand AGP, the later (e.g 4x etc) cards use different voltages, so are obviously not compatible with a 2x slot. If there is something that I've missed, and there is another workaround for this, please let me know-otherwise does anybody know where I can source a 2X AGP card ? Obvously, given the age of the system, cost should be at a minimum-they were talking, prior to me analysing the problem, of buying a whole new system (from Harvey Norman, would you believe ?-I had to have some stern words with them about such crazy talk !!!)-I don't know where they're at now , whether they would want to keep going with what they have if the video card problem can be sorted economically. Anyway, enough from me-now it's time for your suggestions !!!!

Cheers

Icy

metla
07-09-2004, 12:00 AM
I would suggest a 20 dollar pci card,and a new comp.

Just not one from Hardly normal.

icyred
07-09-2004, 12:12 AM
cheers mets

> I would suggest a 20 dollar pci card- sourced from ?
>
> Just not one from Hardly normal.-made this clear to them again tonight. haven' t seen the specs of what they were looking at, and prepared to shell out the best part of three grand on, but told them that if H/N are charging three grand, I'd be pretty sure an equally good system could be put together elsewhere for under $2k, even if it means me throwing in the assembly etc free of charge as a neighbourly gesture. means they get to keep a grand in their pocket, which has got to be good !!!

cheers

icy

icyred
07-09-2004, 12:14 AM
sorry-cocked up the add-ons to the quotes, but I'm sure you can work it out !!!!

icy

metla
07-09-2004, 12:16 AM
They could get a doominator for 3 grand.....

As for where to get a 20 pci card?....ask a local comp store or fix-it-guy.

I used to acumilate them like a rash.

icyred
07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
> They could get a doominator for 3 grand.....

yeah, but as much as their 11 year old son would argue otherwise, think it may be a bit beyond what they would really get value out of-liked the look of some of your pentium 4 packages though. what's your shipping policies/rates- if anything does come of this, may give you a yell. would you supply packages not put together , thus saving you the labour ?

cheers

icy

metla
07-09-2004, 12:31 AM
I would do anything and everything.

I can give a quote including courier.

What part of the country?

icyred
07-09-2004, 12:35 AM
> What part of the country?

hawkes bay-will keep posted as to developments from here

cheers

icy

tweak\'e
07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
excuse metla....must be having a blonde day, theres no need for a pci card.

4x cards are 2x backwould compatible includeing voltages. any 2nd hand or new 4x agp will do fine. omly problem would be some 8x cards (some are backwould compatible but some are not).

unless there are a game player a budget card will do fine, eg sis315, gf2mx/4mx/5 series.

metla
07-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Blonde day you say?

The thinking behind my advice is that a comp running a 2xagp would have to be quite old,and if the agp card has failed then the entire system is probally getting near the end of its life.

Hence common sence would dictate following the cheapest and easist solution,a quick look on pricespy has pci cards for $1,and most comp stores would give them away.

Get the comp up and running as cheaply as possible,and if it fails again throw it away,all the while making plans for a complete replacement.

tweak\'e
07-09-2004, 12:08 PM
with a resonable video card its still a good system, there is no point downgradeing it by useing a crappy old pci card exspecially one that is older than the pc is (which is more likly to fail). any decent pci card is going to cost more than an agp card (new cards that is).

an old p2 system will proberly run everything they need just as fast as a new system.

Rob99
07-09-2004, 12:13 PM
icyred why do you not sell them your old card?

metla
07-09-2004, 01:32 PM
So your saying invest money in an old and starting to fail comp rather then fix it for next to nothing?

Ah well,2 different views on the issue can't hurt, Im sure the thread starter will come to his own conclusions.

mejobloggs
07-09-2004, 07:40 PM
>a quick look on pricespy
> has pci cards for $1,and most comp stores would give
> them away.

What!? Where?? Cheapest one I see is $60. I have a dodgy AGP 1x card that mucks up in linux a bit, and I would very much like a cheap pci card, as AGP 1x is hard to find.

icyred
07-09-2004, 10:44 PM
thanks to all above for your helpful suggestions

update on the situation, having been back today (didn't have time for any testing yesterday beyond switching on and seeing if computer responded without beeping a bios code), is that while the insertion of the 2x AGP Card in the appropriate slot allowed the computer to start with no apparent issues, upon closer inspection there are issues, namely:
1)in Device Manager, display adapter is displayed as a "standard PCI device" or something similar. PCI device ????
2.) full range of display settings not available, i.e. only options for colour are 2 or 16, only resolution option available is 640 x 480.
I know there's got to be something real basic I'm missing, but not particularly on top of my game at moment-some sleep would probably help !!!

cheers

icy

tweak\'e
07-09-2004, 10:49 PM
> So your saying invest money in an old and starting to
> fail comp rather then fix it for next to nothing?
>

no such thing as investing money in a pc full stop.

its simply a matter of, do you fix a pc so it runs worse than it did orginally or fix it so it runs the same or better ?? considering the cost between the 2 is minimal ,$20-60 (2nd hand or budget new card), the concluion is fairly simple.

metla
07-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Its the driver,the most basic one available is a standard vga pci driver,so thats what win98 loads on.

tweak\'e
07-09-2004, 10:51 PM
sorry icyred i didn't see that new post.

you simply need to install the video card drivers :)

icyred
07-09-2004, 10:56 PM
yeah soon as you say it it's so obvious-told you I'm not on top of anything lately. now I need to dig out the driver cd from wherever it's buried in the terribly organised (not!!!!) room that we call a study/office/junk room (the only clear path across this room is the one from the door to the computer). think I'll look tomorrow though-as mentioned before, sleep would probably be a better idea at moment

cheers

icy

icyred
07-09-2004, 10:56 PM
yeah soon as you say it it's so obvious-told you I'm not on top of anything lately. now I need to dig out the driver cd from wherever it's buried in the terribly organised (not!!!!) room that we call a study/office/junk room (the only clear path across this room is the one from the door to the computer). think I'll look tomorrow though-as mentioned before, sleep would probably be a better idea at moment

cheers

icy

metla
07-09-2004, 10:58 PM
> its simply a matter of, do you fix a pc so it runs
> worse than it did orginally or fix it so it runs the
> same or better ?? considering the cost between the 2
> is minimal ,$20-60 (2nd hand or budget new card), the
> concluion is fairly simple.

Its more a case of getting an outcame as close to what the "client" wants as possible,do they want to spend money on an old,out dated comp nearing the end of its practical life or just get the thing running for as little as possible?

My recomendation to anyone with a comp of that age is to tread lightly.

icyred
07-09-2004, 10:59 PM
as if more proof was needed-now I'm posting damn messages twice!!!!!!

goodnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

icy

tweak\'e
07-09-2004, 11:03 PM
its a p2, its not that old. they are still good pc's. i wouldn't call it outdated by any stretch of the imagination.

metla
07-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Thats just a matter of opinion,parts have to be aquired second hand....thats what i would call obsolete.

icyred
07-09-2004, 11:05 PM
>
> My recomendation to anyone with a comp of that age is
> to tread lightly.
>
exactly-these are the second group of people who have come to me for advice on a vintage computer like this, and they got the same basic answer as the others-"Don't spend any more than $50, and all that will do in any case is just to maintain equilibrium"

talked to them again tonight and now she's been eyeing up a Dell !!!!

cheers

icy

tweak\'e
07-09-2004, 11:19 PM
lol metla

most pc parts only have a product cycle of 6 months to a year, in your book that would make 90% of pc's obsolete and not worth fixing.........lmao.

even on an old p2 system the only 2 things that are not replaceable with new parts would be motherboard and cpu. with everything else new parts will fit and work.

any pc is worth fixing properly unless the pc simply isn't capable of running the tasks the owners ask of it.

metla
07-09-2004, 11:27 PM
>>most pc parts only have a product cycle of 6 months to a year, in your book that would make 90% of pc's obsolete and not worth fixing.........lmao.

2 years is about as far as you can strech it,without needing to upgrade some existing working parts as well as the faulty item.

Its a commercial reality that i have to provide a garentee and value for money thus its my position to recomend on a viable solution that offers worthwhile results and value for money.

In other words its up to my judgement to outline to the client where to draw the line.

I fail to see what you find amusing about the harsh reality of computer repair,infact i can normally sell an A-Grade ex-lease system with full warrenty for less then the cost of injecting life into an obsolete comp,and yes a p2 is very obsolete.

KatiMike
08-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Imao ?:|

metla
08-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Just to cap off my input to this thread.

In my view a machine that old is best fixed for the cheapest possible amount,the comp is obsolete,near worthless,and coming to the end of its expected lifespan.

It's no skin off my nose if Tweak has an opposing view and i don't seek to change his mind.

drb1
08-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Metla,

Why you waste time, Fight with them over musem pice P2, I waiting to read version 2 your Display adapter article.

tweak\'e
08-09-2004, 11:00 AM
>Just to cap off my input to this thread.

darn, just when this was getting to be fun :D

the whole point here was simply its not nice recommending to "fix" the pc so it is not useable :( exspecially when cheap parts are advailable new and second hand.
its an old sales trick, knee cap the product so they have to go buy a new one :(

and yes i'm still waiting for the video card faq rc1 and final :)

>>Imao

katimike..... LMAO stands for laugh my ass off :^O

KatiMike
08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
ta tweak'e , getting a bit blind I think , thought it was imao :8}