PDA

View Full Version : Router/Firewall Question

CarlH
06-09-2004, 10:27 PM
I was about to buy the Dynalink RTA770W when I noticed that the spec for its firewall does *not* include Stateful Packet Inspection (unlike the RTA300).

How important is this for a home setup? I'd always thought it was a sign of a "good" firewall!

Murray P
06-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Seems a bit strange they would not include that, my RTA 210 has it, not that I use it on my 2 comp network or know how to set it up correctly without doing some reading. Is there a firmware upgrade that includes it perhaps, you could fire off an email to Dynalink support, I've found them very helpful in the past.

NAT and a good software firewall will take care of most anything your likely to encounter. One esteemed member of this forum swears by NAT alone.

Cheers Murray P

CarlH
06-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks Murray. I've emailed Dynalink - this will be a good test of their consumer response!

I'm not entirely sure what SPI is, I've just read that it's a "good thing".....

Raymondo
06-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Try this:

http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N815.webopedia/B1403475;sz=336x280;ord=2004236684?

CarlH
07-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Not sure what you mean by that Raymondo!

CarlH
07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Here's Dynalink's reply:

"No it doesn't have stateful packet inspection (SPI) it has whats called a ip packet filtering firewall. Essentially works along the same lines."

If anyone can decode this and offer any advice as to whether it makes any difference for a home wireless network I'd appreciate it!

robsonde
07-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Also referred to as dynamic packet filtering. Stateful inspection is a firewall architecture that works at the network layer. Unlike static packet filtering, which examines a packet based on the information in its header, stateful inspection tracks each connection traversing all interfaces of the firewall and makes sure they are valid. An example of a stateful firewall may examine not just the header information but also the contents of the packet up through the application layer in order to determine more about the packet than just information about its source and destination. A stateful inspection firewall also monitors the state of the connection and compiles the information in a state table. Because of this, filtering decisions are based not only on administrator-defined rules (as in static packet filtering) but also on context that has been established by prior packets that have passed through the firewall.

A SPI system is over kill in a home network.

robsonde
07-09-2004, 06:33 PM
> Try this:
>
> http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N815.webopedia/B1403475;z=336x280;ord=2004236684?

me thinks you pasted the wrong link.......