PDA

View Full Version : Can I distribute any Linux Distro freely?

willie_M
06-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could replicate and sell the versions of linux that are payed for such as Lycoris, Xandros and the Pro versions of Linux.

I understand that linux being free is not necesarily for free of cost, but freedom.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Nope - Certain Liscence agreements prevent the distribution and redistribution of binary formats at Zero cost. You can probably get the source for these and distribute the source code however!

Chill.

willie_M
06-09-2004, 04:00 PM
eh waht? That was kind of confusing the way you formed that stement chill...

Graham L
06-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Read the GPL. :D It covers what you can do and not do. It is contained as a file "COPYING" with all software covered by it. Including that file is a condition of the licence. Some of the retail packages contain non-GPL applications. Copying those is not "free".

You can make copies of their freely downloadable distributions and sell them at a reasonable prioce to cover the costs. I am sure that if you copy a retail copy containing non-GPL, licenced applications, you will get into (expensive) trouble).

As far as the "Linux OS" goes, they are selling the support they offer their customers. If you want to get rich on their efforts, remember that while people will pay moderate copying charges, they won't pay you retail prices for NO support.

If you can match the support the commercial vendors offer, make your own distribution and put your name on it. You certainly can't sell a straight copy at full "retail" price as "Lycoris" (e.g) because that's their trademark.

Have a look at www.copyleft.co.nz and see how Philip runs his business.

But there are lot of people doing this. Look at trademe. There are probably easier ways to get rich. Start a religion. ;-)

drb1
06-09-2004, 07:46 PM
There are probably easier ways to get rich.
> Start a religion. ;-)
>
>
>

So true, But my thats a big coat.