PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Laptop Hard-Drive

richards01
05-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Are there any gotcha's for doing the above?

I have a 15Gb Toshiba hard drive - MK1517GAP installed in a Toshiba laptop (satellite S3000 running XP Pro). I need a bigger drive!!!

The installation kit on the hard drive is very simple, and should be easy to undo and install on another suitable 2.5 inch hard drive. I am just a bit worried about all the pins being compatible and any BIOS issues.

Also, is there a trivial way of moving everything from one drive to another? What considerations do I need to concern myself with? Software-wise, I have Powerquest's Drive Image and PartitionMagic to help me.

beama
05-09-2004, 11:55 PM
welcome Richard

if you think you may have an issue with
>I am just a bit worried about all the pins being compatible and any BIOS issues.
ring your local Toshiba agent and ask them
As far as powerquest I can only think of one problem an that is if the version of powerquest you have does not reconise NTFS file system (check your powerquest documentation), If you dont use NTFS it should be a breeze.
good luck watch for more advice from other forum members

theother1
06-09-2004, 12:08 AM
have a look in Sept AusPC magazine there is a whole article on up specing a note book. You may know everthing in it all ready but just fyi.

Graham L
06-09-2004, 04:52 PM
There's no "trivial" way of moving 15GB. :-(

The pinout will be no problem ... there are 44 pins, and the space inside laptops is so cramped that you'll' find it impossible to get the cable upside down. If you get the drive upside down, the cable won't fit.

If you've got 15GB, the BIOS should handle a bigger one ... though I suppose I'd ask Toshiba if I was putting in 120GB or so. ;-)