PDA

View Full Version : Recover from HD Failure

toddh
05-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Help, my Hard Drive in Toshiba 2410 has almost failed, well it 'will not boot and makes a 'rrrh'noise, so I have purchased a new HD and started again but want my outlook data file off my old HD, I also purchased a USB ext storage device that the old HD goes in, the computer can see the drive but shows no data or directory structure, is it possible to get data off this old drive (assuming it still spins and is capable of working) Please help. Thanks,

whiskeytangofoxtrot
05-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Probably not easily, if you couldn't operate the machine off it then you're probably out of luck.

You may need to take it to a data recovery company to retrieve what they can.

Rob99
06-09-2004, 12:40 AM
When you reinstalled I take it you are using XP did you select NTFS.

Merlin
06-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Yes - all things are possible.

Most of it revolves around either the size of your wallet either to purchase reputable software to do the task or to pay someone to do the task.

That neither data nor directories are seen indicates that either the file allocation tables or boot sector (depending on how the drive was formatted) are corrupted.

Essentially if the drive was DOS formated, recover the data to another drive or if NTFS formated recover the backup boot sector.

Modesty is the art of encouraging people to find out for themselves how wonderful you are
- Anonymous

toddh
06-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi, When I reinstalled the software I used the original recovery disk from Toshiba, so yes it was Win XP Pro on both hard drives, any suggestions ? Cheers. Todd.