PDA

View Full Version : New keyboard connection

Earnie
05-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi folks, today I splashed out on a new m/soft internet keyboard and an infra red cordless mouse. Two problems, firstly, the round connection plug for the keyboard is smaller than the one I am replacing, is there some sort of adaptor available that will allow me to connect either to usb or to the existing outlet on my case, I have had a look at DSE website and dont see anything there. Problem two, on putting cd for new mouse in to load, I was informed that the device is not supported by my operating system, this was in spite of the salesman telling me there would be no problem. Yes it does say on the box the min. sys. requirements and M E is not one. My question is, does anyone out there know of a similar product available that will be supported by ny operating system.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
05-09-2004, 10:36 PM
How old is the PC you're connecting it to?

Computers have shipped with a standard PS/2 port for some time now, the only other option for a keyboard was the old AT port which was about twice the size, but we're talking like 486 days here.

The "compatibility" thing will only be for the advanced buttons - a keyboard is a keyboard and will work on anything, just the extra feature buttons will require drivers.

Maybe a link to what you bought may be helpful.

Earnie
05-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks wtf, machine is only 2-3 years old and has had the odd upgrade in that time, keyboard installed ok from the cd, just the issue of the plug to be resolved. Looks as if a ps/2 to usb may be the way to go. Will return to f1 tomorrow for any other replies, 6am start in the morn.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
05-09-2004, 10:56 PM
If the machine is 2-3 years old there is virtually no chance it doesn't have a PS/2 port on it unless it's a Mac or other proprietary hardware.

How did your last keyboard plug in?

theother1
06-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Had the same prob with MS Internet Key Board. DSE do sell an adapter, can't remember price.

Rob99
06-09-2004, 12:43 AM
About $7

Earnie
06-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi wtf,
The brain is working a little better this morning, to clarify, should have said an upgrade 2-3 years ago involved new case and all contents including increasing ram, and as we were keeping the keyboard, mouse and printer, I can only assume the techie that did the work provided the connection for our old keyboard. It is a round plug, quite a lot larger than the one on the new keyboard. Anyway, it looks as if an adaptor is available, ta for your replies.

tweak\'e
06-09-2004, 11:20 AM
my guess is you upgraded to a super socket 7 mobo (k6-2 cpu ??) which is proberly the last lot of motherboards to still have AT connector for the keyboard.

only problem with the adapters is they don't always work.

as far as i am aware there is MS mouse drivers for winME so it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Earnie
06-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks tweak'e,
Yes, you are right on the button with your guess on the upgrade and cpu. Have just got home from DSE with an adaptor and am currently using new keyboard so all is ok. Like driving a new model of the car you have owned for years. Retailer from which I purchased mouse exchanged it for a ME friendly version, not cordless though but doesnt matter, next task is to install - fingers crossed. Thanks again to all replies.