PDA

View Full Version : yoper help

i-gordon
05-09-2004, 08:36 PM
I have yoper up and running on my p4 comp. Everything is OK except I can't see my windows partitions. I have found 2 scripts that are supposed to fix the problem. 1. is called
scanpartitions. 2. is called rebuildfstab, According to the forum I got them from either one is supposed to fix the problem. At the moment the are in files on the Yoper desktop. How do I get them into the system?. The instructions on the forum were way over my head, I'm hoping someone can give me some newbie instructions

Jen C
05-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Those programs look like Knoppix tools. Can you give a link to the forum where you found them?

It might just be easier to manually edit your /etc/fstab so that the window partitions are added.

i-gordon
05-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your reply Jen.

http://www.yoper.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=2382&hl=windows++partitions

bottom of first page

Jen C
05-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Well I took at look at those scripts. After extracting the package I moved the two scripts scanpartitions and rebuildfstab.sh to /usr/bin and ran them. Both complained they couldn't find a /etc/filesystem which is true, because there isn't one :p. I am guessing you have to make one yourself with a list of files systems as mentioned in that Yoper thread.

Personally I think it would be much easier to do this manually yourself. Do you know what partitions your Windows are on? (Are they both FAT32?)

1. Run in a root console (su -) window fdisk -l. This will list your partitions eg hda1, hda2 for example. I will use hda1 and hda2 as examples below, but you need to put in the correct hdXX's for your window partitions.

2. As root still, make a mount point for these partitons in /mnt and call it whatever you like eg windows & data (I am assuming you have two window partitions for this example).
mkdir /mnt/windows
mkdir /mnt/data

3. Use the Super User Mode file manager found under KMenu > Systemn> More Applications > File Manager - Super User. Enter root's password.

4. Go to /etc/fstab and open it up (it will open in KWrite). Add to the bottom of it:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat auto,umask=000,user 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/data vfat auto,umask=000,user 0 0

(Note the blank spaces and comma's). Save and exit.

5. On your desktop, make two icons for your Windows partitions:
Right click on the desktop and select Create New > File > Link to location. Under File Name enter in "Windows" and under Enter link to location (URL) enter in /mnt/windows. Click OK. Now test this out by clicking on the new Icon and seeing if your Windows partition opens up. You can make a second icon for the data partition.

Post back if you need more help. :)

PS* Are you a Aucklander? The developer of Yoper, Andreas Girardet, will be presenting at tomorrow nights LUG meeting which you are welcome to attend :)
Auckland LUG Meeting - Monday 6 September 2004 (http://www.linux.net.nz/taxonomy/view/or/2)

i-gordon
06-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Jen
Thanks for taking the time to help.
The instructions are fine I can follow these OK.
However my system is NTFS. WindowsXP is on A hard drive with 3 partitions. C:Windows. D:Files E: Music.
Yoper is on a seperate B drive Yoper, Swap, Home Ext3.
I tried your instructions subbing vfat for ntfs but it didn't work. I got a lot of error messages. Unable to find drive, Bad this, that, and the other. I should have written them down. After this I rebooted into windows so I could start Partition Magic and get more info on the drives. Then I got a lot more error messages from Partition Magic regarding the partition table. Anyway Partition Magic fixed the errors automaticly so I am now back where I started. Probably need a modified script.
Don't give up on me I want Yoper to work. This is the first Distro I have got working on this comp. P4 Asus mobo
I have tried Mandrake 9.1 & 10.0. & Ark. both had sound and network problems.
Xandros won't install at all, but it is working on my sons Athlon comp dual boot with WindowsXP. No issues at all.

Murray P
06-09-2004, 02:29 PM
You will need to make sure you have mount points in /mnt for every drive and partition you want to view from within Linux. For me, I found this easier by relating each windows drive or partition to its Linux equivalent description. Eg, drive C: = hda1, drive D: (partition of C: ) = hda5 (yours may differ). I made an empty directory in /mnt for each drive/partition then edited /etc/fstab as follows:

# Begin /etc/fstab

# filesystem mount-point fs-type options dump fsck-order

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto rw,exec,noauto,users 0 0
#/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/ auto ro,noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom,--,ro,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=4,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd9 / reiser4 defaults 1 1 <--- Yoper
/dev/hdd10 swap swap defaults 0 0 <--- Swap
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdwriter supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0,--,ro,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- C:
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- D:
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- F:
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/hdb2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0 <--- Boot
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- G:
/dev/hdd5 /mnt/hdd5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- H:
/dev/hdd6 /mnt/hdd6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0 <--- Mepis Linux
/dev/hdd7 /mnt/hdd7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- J:
/dev/hdd8 /mnt/hdd8 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0 <--- Mepis /home
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0 <--- E:

All except the Yoper and swap needed to be added to the fstab file.

You could substitute for eg, /mnt/hda1 for /mnt/win_C and for you situation you need ntfs where I have vfat and of course don't put the <--- X's in.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
06-09-2004, 04:45 PM
NTFS is probably not available by default. "ntfs yoper" to Google shoudl tell you. There is a driver available for that filesystem , and should work OK. But I would be inclined to stick to "RO" access. Microsoft don't tell people the full details of their file systems. It is still dangerous to write to non-documented file sytems. (vfat and its predecessor MS file systtems have been around long enough to be pretty safe) . Reading should do no damage.

It's a bad idea to mess with partition table entries with anything other than the partition utilitry belonging to the OS which uses the entry.
Especially when the problem is that you can't access a filesystem if you haven't got support for that FS. Software which "corrects" partition table entries (especially "automatically") scares me. :_|

i-gordon
06-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Another problem has come up. Somehow I have wrecked Lilo and I cannow longer boot to Yoper, I can boot to windows because I ran FIXMBR on the XP recovery program is there anyway I can reinstall Lilo without reinstalling Yoper.

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Captive NTFS is what you'll be after :-)

i-gordon
06-09-2004, 06:51 PM
> Captive NTFS is what you'll be after :-)

More info please

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Google for it man! (http://www.google.com/search?q=Captive+NTFS&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Murray P
06-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Hope nothing I said led to your Yoper Lilo packing a sad i-. Basically I shot my Mepis Lilo by trying to add Yoper to it without knowing what I was doing and ended up in a similar situation with no OS out of 3 bootable. You could try reinstalling Yoper over the top but select the "This is an upgrade" option rather than the new install and hopefully it will rebuild your Lilo conf. If it was Graham, Chill or Jen, no doubt they would boot a Live CD distro and fix it from there, so awaiting their instruction would be the best advice I can give you.

Cheers Murray P

i-gordon
06-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Murray,
Thanks for the help
Not the first time Ihave wrecked the bootmanager and I will probably do it many more times before I get Linux working on this anti Linux computer.
I usually get around the problem by reinstalling. I was hoping there was a shorter method.

Chill,
I did a Google on the captive ntfs, far to complicated for me. Do I really need to study this.?

Murray P
07-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Samba has a work around to NTFS does it not, could this be employed to access your windows files.

Cheers Murray P

i-gordon
07-09-2004, 01:54 AM
Some success, I have my windows partitions showing up in filemanager but I cant access anything unless I go into root. I tried to alter permissions while in root and I got a warning about protocol devices not supported. blah blah.
Any ideas anyone

Murray P
07-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Can you copy and paste your fstab file here? for others to check of course :)

Cheers Murray P

i-gordon
07-09-2004, 06:10 PM
> Can you copy and paste your fstab file here? for
> others to check of course :)
>
> Cheers Murray P

Unfortunately I have reinstalled Yoper again before I read your message.
I have done the editing of fstab again as I thought it was, but I'm back again where I was after Jen C gave me the original instructions.
This is the error message I got from from this

mount: wrong fs type,bad option,bad superblock on dev/hda5

or too many mounted file systems

Please check that the disk is entered correctly

f# Begin /etc/fstab

# filesystem mount-point fs-type options dump fsck-order

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto rw,exec,noauto,users 0 0
#/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/ auto ro,noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom,--,ro,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=4,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdwriter supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0,--,ro,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/Files ntfs auto,unmask=000,user 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/Music ntfs auto,unmask=000,user 0 0
~
~
~
~
~
"/etc/fstab" 16 lines, 825 characters 1,0-1 All

stab

Graham L
07-09-2004, 06:19 PM
That's probably trying to mount the NTFS partition before the FS driver is loaded. Won't work. That's exactly the error message I would expect for that. ;-)

Next step is to get the FS driver loaded before then. ;-) If you downloaded a package, it will have had files with names like README and INSTALL which are text and will tell you what to do.

Or put a couple of lines in /etc/rc.d/local.rc like modprobe nameofntfsmodule
mount /mnt/Files
and change the "auto" to "noauto" in fstab.

rc.local is done last of all in the boot sequence.

i-gordon
07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Success again. unmask = umask
framing iriot

Thanks everyone OK now

Graham L
07-09-2004, 06:27 PM
unmask .NEQ. umask :D

And people call some of us "pedants" (or worse) when we say that spelling matters. :-(

fstab, and all the other configuration files only have to be exactly right.

So, another happy Linux user. ;-)

Jen C
07-09-2004, 06:47 PM
> Thanks everyone OK now

Good to see you got it all sorted i-gordon :)

Now you have to admit, that doing this yourself manually was a much better self-education exercise rather than running a couple of scripts which would of done this automagically for you in the background. Somethings are better done yourself. :D

Bit late for the party now, but if you had a live-CD such as Knoppix, you could of easily reinstalled LILO for Yoper rather than having done a full reinstall. You just boot the machine with the live-CD, mount your Linux / HDD partition, chroot to it and then enter in "/sbin/lilo", and it is done! Although, if Yoper was a recent install and you had no personal files saved in your /home, reinstalling Yoper only takes 10-15 minutes tops anyway. :p

Everyone Linux Geek needs a live-CD stashed somewhere nearby, especially if your distro of choice does not have a recovery mode on the install disk. (Yoper doesn't).

Murray>
Now you have helped getting i-gordon sorted, don't you have some unfinished homework to do on your Yoper system? ;\

Murray P
07-09-2004, 08:20 PM
> Now you have to admit, that doing this yourself
> manually was a much better self-education exercise
> rather than running a couple of scripts which would
> of done this automagically for you in the background.
> Somethings are better done yourself. :D

Definitely words of wisdom there Jen.

> Murray

> Now you have helped getting i-gordon sorted, don't
> you have some unfinished homework to do on your Yoper
> system? ;\

Sshh! stop your mythering woman X-( I'm trying to read TFM, my head hurts ?:| and I've got sand in my eyes :( and I can't see the screen if I put B-) on plus...aha! just got called for dinner, gotta go, see ya latter........slink........slink....... :8}

Cheers Murray ;P

PS. Nice going i-

i-gordon
07-09-2004, 09:16 PM
> Now you have to admit, that doing this yourself
> manually was a much better self-education exercise
> rather than running a couple of scripts which would
> of done this automagically for you in the background.
> Somethings are better done yourself. :D

2 Days. 3 Installs. 100 Brain fades all because of 2 n's
I am 67 yo and my learning curve is a bit flat these days. Just recently it went a little uphill.
Thanks Jen C you had it right the first time.

Now I've got this little network problem, but I am going to fix it myself.

Thanks again everyone.
Ian