PDA

View Full Version : Sygate stops network access

Davesdad
05-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I have 2 PCs, both running XP Pro. PC 1 connects to the internet via Cable modem using onboard network adaptor and connects to PC 2 via a 4 port switch PCI switch from DSE.
IP addresses are manually configured.
PC 1 has Sygate Personal Firewall installed. The problem I have is establishing a network connection between PC 2 and PC 1. Sygate is stopping the initial connection from establishing.
I have to disable Sygate, establish a connection then re-enable Sygate to access network shares.
ICS works fine as does network access from PC 1 to PC 2. I set up an advanced rule to allow access over the network interface for the IP addresses I use including broadcast addresses, all ports and protocols and all applications to no avail. The Traffic log shows some UDP traffic on port 138 being blocked but the blocked traffic does not have a running application

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get PC 2 to access PC 1 with out having to disable the firewall first?

Davesdad

Spacemannz
05-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Is SP1 or 2 installed on either?

And is XP's firewall on?? Umm you could try adding PC2's ip to Sygate?
if it gives u the option.

And is file/printer sharing enabled on PC1? Thru the LAN icon??

Davesdad
05-09-2004, 12:17 PM
> Is SP1 or 2 installed on either?
SP1 on both

> And is XP's firewall on??
XP firewall disabled

> Umm you could try adding
> PC2's ip to Sygate?
Thats done through the advanced rule
>
> And is file/printer sharing enabled on PC1? Thru the
> LAN icon??
File and printer shareing and Network neighbourhood enabled in Sygate and network properties
>
>
>
>
>

Spacemannz
05-09-2004, 12:22 PM
k Dave. What happens when u try and access PC1 from PC2?? Any errors? Does it hang the system??

Davesdad
05-09-2004, 12:35 PM
> k Dave. What happens when u try and access PC1 from
> PC2?? Any errors? Does it hang the system??
>

A error message states that the "network path cannot be found" and usually the icons for PC 1 disappear.

tweak\'e
05-09-2004, 12:43 PM
sounds like netbios is being blocked.

check your settings, netbios should be blocked from the net but not on the lan.

have you got the sygate ver that allows ICS to work ??

Davesdad
05-09-2004, 12:50 PM
> sounds like netbios is being blocked.
>
> check your settings, netbios should be blocked from
> the net but not on the lan.

I haven't seen a setting for netbios. I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

> have you got the sygate ver that allows ICS to work
> ??

I have the latest build released a few days ago

tweak\'e
05-09-2004, 01:11 PM
looks like ver5 free ver supports ICS, it must be about the only one that does so :)

Davesdad
06-09-2004, 12:00 PM
> check your settings, netbios should be blocked from
> the net but not on the lan.

The default netbios setting allows netbios on the LAN subnet but not any other addresses. Disabling netbios protection did not make any difference.

Spacemannz
06-09-2004, 12:06 PM
It sounds like a setting in Sygate somewhere uve missed. Since it works with it off and after u reconnect. I can't help, as I dont use Sygate

I use Nortons Internet Security.

johnboy
06-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Go to the Sygate Personal Firewall support forum and look thru the posts.
There are a few on network problems which might help to find what to do.
here (http://forums.sygatetech.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=500966a6f4b30ec9204ef4237961812 9&forumid=8&daysprune=30&sortorder=&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=25&pagenumber=2)
hth

Davesdad
07-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Problem solved.

A post on the Sygate forum suggested making an advanced rule to allow UDP on Ports 137 & 138, all IP addresses and no applications on the Network interface and move this rule to the top.

Thank for your help
Davesdad