PDA

View Full Version : Conflict between Adaptec Easy Cd Creator and Adaptec Direct CD

Misty
05-09-2004, 11:04 AM
I run Windows ME. With my PC when bought came Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.05 and Adaptec Direct CD. The former for creating a CD, which I use for backups and the latter for copying from one CD to another.

The problem I have is that I have opened my Easy CD Creator and selected the files I want to back up but am told that this cannot proceed because the "E" drive (where my rewriteable CD is located), is in use by Direct Cd.

I cannot close Direct Cd because it does not appear to be open. A while ago I went into msconfig and changed things so that Direct Cd is not on the list of things for running when the PC is booted. Direct Cd does not show in the system tray.

I have tried closing Easy CD Creator and reopening but no joy. Same results.

I have tried shutting down the computer and restarting but the problem persists. It is one that occured many months ago and I do not know how it was overcome then.

Frustrated
Misty ?:|

Spacemannz
05-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Have you tried to use DirectCD for backing things up? You can copy and paste (into folders) you create on the CD, or drop and drag (so the files you drag appear in the root folder of the CD). If you haven't finalised the CD, I would say even tho u have disabled DirectCD from running, it would have to be running, in order for something to read the CD.

(As soon as u put the not yet-finalised CD into the burner). As it's DirectCD that will most probably read the CD, NOT CD Creator.

The 2 shouldn't conflict with each other, since they're BOTH from the same program.

Also, do you format the CD's?? Sometimes u have to. If so, how did you
format the CD/s?

Misty
05-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks Spacemannz

Things got complicated so will try to explain as best I understand

* Seems that the first disc became corrupted. I did a scan-disc using Direct CD and it said the repairs had been done. later however back to square one.

* Tried another disc therefore. However with Easy CD Creator I got the message again that Direct CD using.

* I changed config back again and re-booted the machine so that Direct CD ran on booting. Seems that this is the only way that Adaptec like it !

* I did a backup using Windows Explorer (and along the way Direct Cd like you said, -- I think !!). Anyway ran out of space so inserted another Cd. However although normally I can do the backup on one CD or perhaps part of a second, I was told that the 2nd Cd was not enough.

* It seems that using Direct Cd takes up a lot more space than using Easy CD Creator. Tried again with Easy CD Creator and this time had more joy.

* In total, I have a sort of a backup partly with each program.

* Next time will try again with just one. I think I will try again with Easy CD Creator. Nevetheless I have taken on board what you said. Also with leaving Direct CD starting in the background on booting.

* I guess, perhaps naively, that now I have all the additional RAM (320 or 304 effectively) that having Direct Cd in the background at startup will not slow things down so much as before.

I have lots to learn !!

Misty :|

PS - Perhaps I should look at updating my Adaptec, it is probably a bit pre-historic by now.

Bazza
05-09-2004, 11:52 PM
This problem is hard to understand. I have both Easy CD Creator and Direct CD. The Direct CD loads at startup, and shows in the sys tray.

It is always available whenever one needs to copy & paste files to the CDR. Just like using the CDR as floppy/HDD. It maybe the better option for backups.

The fact that Direct CD is running never interferes with using the Easy CD Creator for other purposes like CD to CD copying, music & data.

Sorry, this is not much help, but it's my experience with those two programs. There are several versions of them both. Maybe it could be a conflict between versions?

drb1
06-09-2004, 01:19 AM
> This problem is hard to understand. I have both Easy
> CD Creator and Direct CD. The Direct CD loads at
> startup, and shows in the sys tray.
>
> It is always available whenever one needs to copy &
> paste files to the CDR. Just like using the CDR as
> floppy/HDD. It maybe the better option for backups.
>
> The fact that Direct CD is running never interferes
> with using the Easy CD Creator for other purposes
> like CD to CD copying, music & data.
>
> Sorry, this is not much help, but it's my experience
> with those two programs. There are several versions
> of them both. Maybe it could be a conflict between
> versions?
>

Bazza,

This is operator fault, I had to learn this the hard way like you.

Neil McC
06-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Misty,I found long ago that using Direct CD for saving to cdr or cdrw gave me problems with accessing the data saved onto those discs.So in the end I uninstalled Easy Cd 5, which I'm using,and reinstalled it without installing Direct CD.So I always use the main program now,and have not had any dud readings since. Well,hardly any!! Using ME still too.I find CDRW's give more trouble,so hardly use them now.

Spacemannz
06-09-2004, 09:21 AM
You're right there Misty. As sometimes you have to format the CD, thru DirectCD, in order to use the CD. (with data files/exe files). This takes a bit of space from the CD as well.

When and if using CD Creator (for certain things like MP3 for example). The CD doesn't need formatting. This is like Nero. All you do is, chuck the CD, select the Mp3's u want, and in what order, you want them to play, then BURN as an audio CD.

It also depends what u backup. I wouldnt backup everything in any version of Windows. It'll be a waste of time. Just maybe files, you download from the net, (to save you getting them again), if you ever have to format.