PDA

View Full Version : KVM switch and ADSL problems

Odin
04-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Ok this is gonna sound weird, but is it possible for a KVM switch to stuff up a adsl connection or has all been a coincidence. My brother just gave me his KVM switch to use so I could make some more room in my room by getting rid of the extra monitor. However no sooner do I connect it all up my Internet connection starts cutting out on me. The router would actually disconnect but my ADSl was still active. I could ping the router and connect to it through web interface but had to manually connected again the my ISP.

I checked with both MY ISP and telecom and they said there was nothing wrong at their end. So I decided to unplug the KVM switch and things seem to be back to normal, though it is too soon to tell.

Has anyone heard of this happening before and is it even possible, has me stumped . I am going to leave the switch off for a day or two and see if things stay ok, then I am going to connect it again and see if the same problems occur. Any insight would be appreciated, I honestly didn't think a KVM switch would have any impact on an adsl router.

godfather
04-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Can't see any connection either.

The PC would not even know a KVM was being used. No software is required. No hardware is "installed"

Assuming only the router is external, ethernet connected. Sorry but clairvoyance has failed me in this regard tonight.

Odin
04-09-2004, 10:46 PM
That's what has got me stumped. The only thing I can think of is the way the KVM sends a signal that keeps the mouse/keyboard alive but that still doesn't make any sence. Maybe it is nothing more than a coincidence, hopefully when I try the switch in a day or 2 then nothing strange will happen and I can blame telecom for the problem. After all that is all telecom is good for, blaming your problems on :D :D

drb1
05-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Is the kvm sharing power with the router or something else of relevence.

Is There any posibility of interference betweeen cabels (cant remember the propper word).

like rapping a cabel around a monitor body sometimes it will affect the display or ariel cabels sometimes cross feed.

Odin
05-09-2004, 04:26 AM
> Is the kvm sharing power with the router or something
> else of relevence.

Nope it has no power supply at all, although some do this is one of those that don't.
>
> Is There any posibility of interference betweeen
> cabels (cant remember the propper word).

EMI (Electro Magnetic Interferance) Nope to that also the KVM cables are well away from the lan cable and the router in all the way downstairs .

Thanks for your reply, it is a strange problem though that is currently making my hair hurt due to all the un-natural brain activity going on within my skull, maybe thats why I don't think very much it hurts :D :D

drb1
05-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Ugh,

Crazy white man device

Odin
05-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Yeah we should all get rid of computers and go back to using Smoke Signals :D

drb1
05-09-2004, 09:02 AM
You smoke um peace pipe, your head pain, go fly with eagles.

drb1
05-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Being serious, the KVM could be drawing just enough on the +5v to upset on board power supply. This is really reaching for something.

You could probably test for this (Simply) by disconecting something else, or by a temp install of a larger p/s, if you one about.

Apart from that ?

godfather
05-09-2004, 10:22 AM
This was what I was referring to in the "clairvoyance" statement, but we still don't know.

What method does the router use to connect to the PC? USB or Ethernet?

Is the KVM using PS2 or USB for the Mouse part?

If the answer in both cases is USB, there is the causal link. Probably power on the USB hub.

But getting the info seems to be like pulling teeth.

Odin
05-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Ah me understand now kimosabe (I don't know how to spell Tonto american indian, or engrish for that matter) :D

Router is using LAN eithernet Cat5 UTP. The KVM is uning PS2 for both keyboard and mouse (I haven't seen any KVM switch that support a USB mouse and/or Keyboard, If you know of any tell me where I can find them I want one)

So far my internet is still stable hasn't disconnect yet although it may be too early to tell.

godfather
05-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks for that info.

No causal link there as I see it.

I blame UFO activity.

drb1
06-09-2004, 12:32 AM
> Thanks for that info.
>
> No causal link there as I see it.
>
> I blame UFO activity.

May be Computer smoke um, Peace Pipe.

Usb (Supporting) KVM, I also am interested, Especially dualview with OSD.