PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Plugin = Hangs Comp

sarel
04-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Hiya guys

Well until this morning I was quite happy with Firefox. No problems. Then I wanted to check a webpage, and Firefox said "to view this page, you have to install ....." and took me to the Shockwave webpage. I duly clicked yes, it downloaded and installed. B*gger, that is when the trouble began. Trying to connect to Clear (which I did quite nicely 10 mins ago) don't happen - the PC goes into the dialup mode and then freezes - no error messages, nothing. Not trying to connect - no apparent problem. I've tried to find the Skockwave folder - no luck. Can't even uninstall Firefox - no uninstall function. Any suggestions please?

P2, 355, WinME

By the way, I am typing this on the Boss's lappie so be quick with help - she's not home yet.

LOL

Sarel

sarel
04-09-2004, 03:54 PM
*bump*

Jen C
04-09-2004, 03:57 PM
What version of Firefox do you have? There should be an entry under Add/Remove for it. Have you tried shutting down Firefox completely and then restarting it?

Jen C
04-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Oh, and don't forget ME has System Restore which you can use to rolll back prior to installing the Macromedia plugin.

sarel
04-09-2004, 04:49 PM

No entry in Add/Remove, no entry in Startup - nothing. Yes, tried shutting down Firefox (and disabling all plugins) - no change

Jen, any idea where to look for Skockwave because I think that it the culprit, not Firefox. Search only give me a few non-related files?

Sarel

sarel
04-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Disabled Sys Restore sometime ago - had a Hijacker or two in the _temp directory (remember?)

Sarel

sarel
04-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Jen C

Thanks for the help. I Googled Flashplayer and downloaded an Flashplayer uninstaller and it worked well - I am typing this on the "previously-"b*ggered" PC. Any idea why Flashplayer will do this to a system and interfere with the dial-up?

Sarel

Jen C
04-09-2004, 05:05 PM
You should have an Add/Remove entry for Macromedia Shockwave still though under the control panel?

sarel
04-09-2004, 05:10 PM
No Add/Remove - that is the first place I checked. For that matter, there's no entry for Firefox, too

Sarel

pulling hair out
04-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi Sarel

I'm running windows xp sp1 and I downloaded that shockwave plugin when installing a screensaver SimAquarium which nearly broke my computer.

Look for a folder called "Downloaded Program Files" in Windows.

In mine = C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files.
Item is called Shockwave Flash Object.

Hope this helps.
Marg.

sarel
05-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks Marg

By the way - is that screensaver working - sounds interesting

Sarel

pulling hair out
05-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Hi Sarel.

It worked beautifully for about 10 mins. Then got into all sorts of problems.
Wiped out my normal wallpaper and gave me a black screen instead. Programs came up as a dark shadow before forming actual window. However there may have been some adware/malware etc attached to the "Free" screensaver which did this.

It did uninstall very easily though. And the screensaver, when working was beautiful to watch.

Please DON'T try it out on your wife's computer though. We can have a giggle reading your posts but can see where she's coming from when "blood begins to flow".

Have a good Father's Day if it applies.

Regards, Marg.

sarel
05-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the Fathers Day wishes Marg - yeah I've earned it.

Welllllllll, after about 25 yrs of marriage on get used to the violence and you learn to duck quickly. But no, she really get p*ssed off when the children (both > 20 yrs) or myself fiddle around on her lappie and we bugger it all up - more so the children that allow downloads on chat programs (not any more)

What's the name of that screen saver again?

Sarel