PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic Prob

Old Rocky
04-09-2004, 09:46 AM
I was asked to partition a friends HD & install another OS for gamming only. I used Partition Magic 8 which I am familiar with & run 3 OS's on my on system. The installation of his second OS failed & I have no way to set the first partion active to try again as we wern't able to make backup discs. He has a 220G HD & OS's XP home. Any ideas?

drcspy
04-09-2004, 10:21 AM
USE THE gui on pm8 to make the 'rescue disks' these are just two floppies which allow you to boot to a pm gui and set active or do other stuff to the partition they are not individual to any system

Old Rocky
04-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Are you sure the backup disks are not individual to a system.
I tryed my ones but they didn't work. They work fine on my system though.

drcspy
04-09-2004, 03:06 PM
well I've used Pm boot floppies on several systems.........i have pm1 & pm2 as a set, (two floppies) and ya can boot any system with them as far as Iknow ............what you mean 'didn't work'..........did you have the system set to boot from floppy ?

Mzee
04-09-2004, 03:48 PM
1) Look for "PQ Boot" on the CD, copy this to an ME or 98 start floppy, boot with the floppy and then run "PQ Boot", you will be able to select thhe partition you want active.

OR

2) Use an earlier verson of PQ Magic (Dos)

OR

3) Use "fdisk" on 98 boot floppy to activate the selected partition.

Graham L
04-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Won't the XP installation CD allow you to use the FDISK equivalent? That should allow you to set the active partition.

Or use a Linux installation CD ... just go though to the paritioning stage, set the partition active, write the partition table (unchanged except for that) then Ctrl/Alt/Del or just power off.

Old Rocky
04-09-2004, 08:08 PM
It did try to boot from my floppies but would't go to the area where you can set the other partition active.
Thanks for your help & also to Mzee & Graham, I will try your solutions on Tuesday when I get my next day off.

Chilling_Silence
04-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Grab this:
http://www.sysresccd.org/

Use Qtparted to set it active. It allows full non-destructive repartitioning from a LiveCD, so no OS is required :-)

Chill.

Old Rocky
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
The FDISK found the prob. I had screwed up & had to start again.
Are now trying to break the 137 GB barrier.
The software that came with the Western Digital HD was a bit vague on this.

tommy
07-09-2004, 11:08 AM
> Are now trying to break the 137 GB barrier.
> The software that came with the Western Digital HD
> was a bit vague on this.

See this page. (http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_winxp.html)