PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a web site

JJJJJ
04-09-2004, 07:23 AM
One thing that most people forget when setting up a web site. Who is going to want to read it?
Every second site google finds for me looks like it was written by a kid with no thought to contents.
Things that annoy me. Photos of the owner. Photos of "my bed room". Photos of "my cat", "my dog". You get the idea?
If you are starting out there's no need to post these to the web. Design them and then delete them.
A web site should at least have something of interest to others.
That's why I don't have a site.
Jack

Earnie Moore
04-09-2004, 07:39 AM
What are you putting into Google to find these?

I find Google is the best, but it has limitations, or to put it another way it is broken.
It works on the word content of each page, how many links going to it, and does not read the meta tag.

I got your message who wants to see someone else's dog and often I find google search frustrating, I did have a idea a couple of years ago but no one was interested.

JJJJJ
04-09-2004, 07:55 AM
I do a lot of genealogical research And quite often I just enter a surname into Google to get a wide a response as possible.
One that realy amused me was a woman who had about 20 photos of her four yong children doing all sorts of childish things, but no mention of her husband. And her e-mail address. I wrote and asked if she was looking for a father for number 5. Got a nasty reply from her husband. Lucky they were in USA.
Jack

Growly
04-09-2004, 08:48 AM
>Got a nasty reply from her husband

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Their relationship must be on the rocks for him to be so insecure about it...

Jen C
04-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Don't forget Jack that to these people and their friends/family, the website is of interest. The trouble with hosting your website on the public internet, is that other people like yourself who have no interest in their website can view it.

Some websites might look like a kid has designed yet (and might of been as well), but to the owner it is their work of art and I am sure they are proud of their effort. It is hard for most people to find a topic/subject for their website so the most common theme is personal photo's and blurbs about themselves. It is a great way of keeping far-flung loved ones up to date with the family events.

My own website is purely a photogallery. It is only intended for family and friends to view piccy's of various events and lets them grab a copy of any of the images they want. I am sure it is of no interest to anyone else who stumbles across it. I also host it myself and can easily block access to it by closing port 80 so it remains under my control.

I guess with your interest in genealogical research, you will find a lot of these "home-grown" websites. They must be of help sometimes tho? Have you ever gleaned information from a "home-grown" site that was relevant to your research?

JJJJJ
04-09-2004, 09:38 AM
To JenC. Yes quite often I get the name of someone of interest. That's why I persist with my searches.
Jack