PDA

View Full Version : 4 IDE slots have been taken up...can I use SATA?

Jase1
03-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi guys :)

Right now all 4 of my IDE slots are full, 2 are used by a CDWriter while another by a DVD drive. The other 2 are taken up by my 2 HDDs. My MB has 2 SATA slots and I was wondering is it possible to add in extra HDDs into those SATA slots while still have my 2 HDD in the IDE. My motherboard is a P4P800-VM, I also have updated to the lastest Bios plus I'm running WinXP Pro.

Thanks alot ^^

Jase Sen

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Yup, you need something like this adapter. (if its IDE hdd's you're getting). If not, connect the SATA to the connection, on the motherboard.

BUT u need power to connect to the SATA/s. You need a SATA power adapter. And an extra molex power connection from the power supply.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4138359606d1ff3a273fc0a87f9906f1/Product/View/XH6799

It might pay to get a bigger power supply, if your one atm isnt big enough.

You may also have to enable the 2nd master/slave in the BIOS.

And go to control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management. Hopefully the sata/s should appear there. Highlight one/them right mouse button, and select format.

It looks like this adapter needs an extra floppy drive power connection.

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Oops that should read

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/413838b205056a782740c0a87f9906b9/Product/View/XH6799

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Arrrrghh!!

Go to http://www.dse.co.nz.

type in sata to ide the first one on the right

The stupid URLS I posted stuff up.

Jase1
03-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks alot, so if I buy a SATA HDD, all I have to do is plug it in (which includes other stuff), change a few things in Bios and WinXp then its all good...right?

Thanks ^^

Jen C
04-09-2004, 12:34 AM
> The stupid URLS I posted stuff up.

Spacemannz>
A well known tip for posting links to DSE pages. If you click on the "e-mail page link", your email client will open up with a link in it. Copy and use that link in your post. It is a direct link to the item without all your browser session details in it.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6799

Alternatively, just remove all the details after the dse.storefront/ and add en/product/{put the product number in} to the URL. :)

Sorry for the side-tracking of the original post :)

And yes, I realise for some whacky reason half my post has turned into a link ... :_|

Spacemannz
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Correct, BUT SATA does needs power too. The cable that connects to the motherboard , doesnt normally supply the power, well mine doesn't)

I use a 120gb SATA as the main bootdisk here with XP.

That should be it. In the BIOS, you may have something like SATA/PATA
or similar and Enhanced mode. Put it on Enhanced mode (For satas), if there's an option. (If not, just put 2nd master/slave on AUTO) in the BIOS

Depending on whether u get 1 or 2 SATA's.

NOTE: Sata's don't use Master or Slave jumpers. Just plug them in, on the mobo, get the power adapter put it in the back of the sata.
BIOS should detect it, and just format once XP has loaded, as per my previous post.

Just hopefully your power supply has enough power connections, and has enough watts to deal with what u have installed. Otherwise, you'll have to buy another power supply.

Spacemannz
04-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanx for the tip Jen LOL. I'll remember that for next time

Cya

Jase1
04-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Sorry to post a reply so late. From your posts it sounds like SATA drives uses quite a amount of power...I have a 300W PSU, right now its running a P42.4Ghz HT, a R9000Pro video card 2 IDE HDD and 2 IDE drives plus 2 80mm fans...would I still have enough power to have an extra SATA or 2 extra SATA drives?

And also I may be upgrading my video card to R9800Pro, one of the min spec for that card is a 300W PSU, would I need to a need new PSU if I want to upgrade to that card?

Thanks

Jase Sen

Spacemannz
04-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Umm no. You also have to take into account, the other devices that are in the case now (besides the SATA/s you're going to install).

(The 2 hdd's, the fans, the cd burners/DVD's and USB ports), also consume power from your power supply (maybe not as much if the USB devices u have (if any) are going thru a powered USB hub.

BUT I would say with all these devices, I would get maybe a 400 or even 500 watt, so the power supply will be able to handle everything in the case. In my opinion 300W is a bit low, with what you've got installed now.

One way you would notice (if u do use a lot of USB devices, without a hub), is if you're trying to get a USB device to run/work. It wont, due to lack of power to power the USB port/device. I would also get some power adapters/extensions, whatever they're called as well. I have a feeling with all of these devices, you won't have any connections! to power the hdd's the cd's the sata's and the floppy if u use floppy.

Jase1
05-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks alot, I guess my next upgrade will be a new PSU.

Thanks for both you guys help ^^

Jase Sen

Pete O\'Neil
06-09-2004, 09:46 AM
When buying a new PSU its more important to take into account the current rather than the wattage. Alot of cheap PSU have around 12A on the 12v rail(the one that powers HDD etc) where as a good PSU will have upwards of 20A. The greater the amps the more drives that can be connected. A low quality 500w PSU is worse than a high quality 320w PSU. Good brands include Enermex, Antec, Thermaltake, the PSU's in iCute cases arent bad for a cheapie and Hyena are absolutely dreadful. The 320w Enermex are normally more than enough for the average user but if you want a lil extra juice a 420w Antec or Enermex will see you right

Jase1
06-09-2004, 10:29 PM
I must say this is competely NEWS to me...I never knew you had to watch out for the Amps on PSU, always thought the higher the watt the better...>_<.

Thanks for the tip ^^