PDA

View Full Version : Video recording

jon71
03-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi

I am looking at setting up a video recording system in my shop and am thinking that rather than using the old school long play video technique I may foray into the possibility of recording from the analogue security camera straight onto a computer.

I believe that i'll require a graphics card with a video in socket, but does anybody know whether this is actually possible for a reasonable cost, and if so what other hard / soft ware i may require ?

Cheers

metla
03-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Depends on what you call reasonable cost.

You can get specilised capture cards that can utilise mutiple motion detector cameras.

Waste of a comp though if you ask me.

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Umm you could buy something like a TV tuner card, which has a video in port, BUT then (like this tuner. a leadtek XP 2000 deluxe), you would need a camera which has a 5 pin din plug to connect to it. This tuner has recording capabilities (for the TV side of it), with the TV tuner program it uses, to hard drive.

I can't see why it can't record to hard drive as well, when the external option is activated....

godfather
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Its quite possible, but just how are you going to archive several GB of data each day? Not to mention having enough HDD space to keep a days worth?

tweak\'e
03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
the old LP video machine is by far the cheapest option. next would be the professional video machine which is desighned for sicurity work.

a pc could do it. there is plenty of software around disigned for this setup. a basic capture card (or video card with video in) but you will need a big hardrive and someway of making backups (burn to dvd).
of course this is already advaiable off the shelf, hardrive video recorders with built in dvd burners but the're not cheap.

metla
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
For what its worth,the security products blurb claims 4 gig usage for 7 days use,based on using motion detection cameras.