PDA

View Full Version : what browser ?

icyred
02-09-2004, 11:20 PM
apologise in advance for covering old ground, but can somebody plaese give me an honest, balanced opinion on which of the following browsers to use. Like somebody else on this forum, I switched to MYIE2(AKA Maxthon) recently, on the basis of what now transpires to be a flawed recommendation (but we won't go there !). Have got very used to the tabbed browsing concept with MyIE, so this won't be any new ground for me-just want the better security I've heard all about. Got all the following browsers on a CD, so it's just a matter of picking:

Avant Browser 9.02.026, Deepnet Explorer 1.1, Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1,
Opera 7.5, Slim Browser 3.99 build 004, UltraBrowser 9.022.

Please don't point me to something with a big learning curve-I haven't got the time or patience. No 1 requirement is ease of transition !!!

cheers

icy

tweak\'e
02-09-2004, 11:35 PM
if memory serves me correctly avant, slim, ultra browser and proberly deepnet are all IE based like maxthon.

choices are ...

mozilla (open source)
netscape (based on mozilla)
firefox (cut down ver of mozilla)
opera (paid or ad supported)

my preference is for opera :-) small, customisable, quick and has every feature i need (so far) (voice operated ver is in beta).

Jen C
02-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Mozilla Firefox all the way! :D

Easy to install and use, and will import all your IE bookmarks etc. Much more secure than browser which look different but still use the IE engine (such as MyIE and Avant).

Try and download the latest version which is now 0.9.3

beama
02-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Im with Jen and I've used IE 4 through to 6, Netscape when it was the dominate browser of choice, browsers that use the IE engine and the best I have found and use now Firefox.

Raymondo
02-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Hi Icy
Like you I am on MyIE2. I have been there and done that with Mozilla and Opera but I kept migrating back to IE6 because I know it and it's easy to use. I like Maxthon because it has extras that I like (tabbed browsing etc) it works with my address book and, most importantly, I don't have to learn new tricks.

I accept that IE6 is supposed to be a security risk but I have my hardware and software firewalls and nothing (touch wood) nasty has happened to me so I will stay the course.

My needs are simple. Maxthon is a friendly face and I'm just too lazy to try to come to grips with a new browser.

Ray

wpmoore
02-09-2004, 11:59 PM
As other have said I am sticking with Firefox.
Great browser.

Warrick

beetle
03-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Firefox .

any questions we always here, good luck with the install.

beetle

TonyF
03-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Please don't point me to something with a big learning curve-I haven't got the time or patience.
Maybe, but some effort is always needed. Opera is easy, and it is entirely up to you. Get stuck in..
Cheers T

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-09-2004, 12:36 AM
FireFox > Lynx > * > IE

Murray P
03-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Firefox & Mozilla.

Firefox is a little more work to customise, if you really want to, after all it is supposed to be a slimmed down browser which you can add just what you need to.

Cheers Murray P

Nigel Thomson
03-09-2004, 09:08 AM
I use firefox,

it does everything I want, and it has numerous plugins to bulk it up, I have found it to be a lot quicker than the ordainary mozilla, and there are regular updates, etc

hope this helps

bazmeister
03-09-2004, 10:06 AM
I asked the same question a month ago - went to Firefox and haven't looked back. Apart from the security aspects, it's certainly faster and easy to use. I was pointed to an add-on that gives you immediate access to IE for those few programs that still insist on it.

An auto download the other day started up my IE without me noticing until I wondered why it was so b...... slow.

Alse swapped my email to Thunderbird and several problems that seemed to be unfixable came right immediately. Happy customer...........