PDA

View Full Version : WLAN MAX.DISTANCE

Gion
02-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Hello there

I want to setup a wireless LAN in my house. The unknown quantity is ; what is the maximal distance and how difficult is it, if there are at least three walls and one floor (upstairs) between the two computers.
Has anyone experience with that?
Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Gion

godfather
02-09-2004, 09:32 PM
No easy answer. What works for one location has little relevance to another location. I have success on the same level through 5 walls in one direction but only 3 in the other. Wooden walls, no metallic insulation.

Construction methods differ so much as well, and you usually cannot tell just what the method is anyway (foil insulation, reinforcing etc)

Only way is to try and see.

Gion
02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for that?
Can you tell me the hardware I need for that. There are 2 computers and 1 Printer plus internet access.
Thanks
gion

fairway
02-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Well mine does 3 walls and a floor .. about 22 meters and good reception .. seems wood is "see Through".. :-)
Foil was used in the late 70's for wall insulation but didn't pick up enough "R" values, so was scrapped for batts and great fire hazard polystyrene. Now, foil should only be used in subfloor to ground situations.
But my unit is an old 802.11b unit I got on ebay for $25.00, the new models will go further and faster according to the reviews. up to 100 meters!

godfather
02-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Do not believe the reviews.

The distance will always be less than you think.

The review for my Belkin AirPoint says 1200 feet. More like 120 feet in reality.

What do you need?
Insufficient info really.

Are the PCs desktops, or laptops ??
Is the Internet access ADSL, Woosh, Cable, Dial-up?
Is the printer network capable? Will it work on a print server if not?
Do you presently have a wired network?
What version of Windows on each PC.
What is the specs of each PC?

Gion
02-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Hello

The machines are two Desktop PC's.
Dial-up internet access, and as for the printer: it is a Canon s6300.
At present I don't have a network but there are network cards installed on both computers. Both computers are on Win2000Pro. One is a AMD 1.8GH with 256 MB ram the other is a Pentium4 with a 1.5 GB ram.

I guess ;if I have the cards installed that a cable network would be more suitable(costs). Just a pain having to run them through a new house which is not the most easy task.

Regards
Gion

Berryb
02-09-2004, 10:56 PM
If you don't intend to add more computers to your network in the near future all you need is two Wireless Ethernet Adapter, 54Mbps, 802.11a/b, PCI cards. These vary in price but cheaper is not better. With these you can have a wireless network running in ad-hoc mode, share your internet connection, printer and files the same as any network. The other option is to buy a wireless access point and hard wire this to one PC and use a Wireless Ethernet Adapter, 54Mbps, 802.11a/b, PCI card on the other PC. This will give you options for the future. If you plan to go to Jetstream in future then you could look at a all in one access point, router, 4 port switch and adsl modem like the Linksys WAG54G.

Gion
03-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Berryb-Thanks very much for your input,greatly appreciated!!!!
Let's see what I can do.

Regards

Gion

Berryb
04-09-2004, 02:14 AM
The PCI card I mentioned didn't have the G standard stated. Should have been 802.11a/b/g.