PDA

View Full Version : Audio Cable - Master v Slave

dougsnr
02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
I have just installed a DVD writer. I removed the CD writer [set up as a slave] that it replaced and put the power and IDE cables from the CD writer into the back of the DVD writer.

The instructions said to put the audio cable into the back of the DVD writer as well.

Here is the query. The CD rom [set up as master] has the only audio cable plugged into the back of it.

I have removed it and placed in in the back of the DVD player.

Both devices play CD music okay.

Should I leave the audio cable in the DVD player? Should the DVD player be made the master device?

Or should the audio cable go back to the CD rom? Will this have any effect when using the DVD player for writing?

Thanks Doug Snr

tweak\'e
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
dosn't matter which one the audio cable is in. by the sounds of it your music program is useing the drives digitaly so it has no need for the audio cable.

>Should the DVD player be made the master device?

normall makes no difference, however sometimes a device likes to be master/slave. leave it, if any problems you can try swapping them around.

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Most modern CD's/DVD's dont need the audio cable. Most supply sound thru the data / ide cable.

The sound cable is totally different from how CD's/DVD's are physically connected to the IDE connection on the motherboard.

Just as long as the CD / DVD are on the primary ide connection and 1 is set as the master and one as the slave. (if u still want to use BOTH the CD writer, and the DVD writer).

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Oops that should say on the secondary IDE connection. for CD's/DVD's

tweak\'e
02-09-2004, 09:02 PM
>just as long as the CD / DVD are on the primary ide connection

other way around. normally its hardrives on primary IDE tho these day most bios can handle it both ways.

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Yup a typo :/ has been corrected

dougsnr
03-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Spacemannz and Tweak'e

Your replies are appreciated.

All the reviews for the DVD writer said it was easy to install, especially replacing the the CD writer with a DVD writer.

But that audio cable had m stumped and worried me a bit.

Thanks for the reassurance and technical advise.

Doug Snr

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 10:32 AM
No worries Doug. Happy burning!