PDA

View Full Version : Back to IE. Am I Odd?

Terry Porritt
02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Well I have tried Mozilla Firefox through 2 versions, and I have to say I prefer Internet Explorer (with SP2 upgrade). I find it snappier to load than Firefox, and Firefox just wont bring up images on my favourites, in fact on some sites there isnt even any indication there is an image to view.
I also seem to have greater difficulty organising Bookmarks than the Favotites in IE.

So I will now sit back and wait for all the flame or derision to be poured on my decision :D

Terry Porritt
02-09-2004, 12:34 PM
typos.. typos
...on my favourite sites....

.....the Favorites in IE.

Murray P
02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
> Am I Odd?

Yes, very. Not sure what it has to do with IE though ;)

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix
02-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Whatever flies your kite......go with it.

After all, it is your computer, and what you do in the privacy of your own home should be your business. :D

Susan B
02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
When was the last time you fired up Opera, Terry? :-)

I find Opera to be faster loading than Firefox, especially with the "/prefetch:1" command in the shortcut.

You will find the bookmarks/favorites to be the cat's whiskers after Firefox and IE and since you like tweaking you can have Opera customised to exactly how you want it, including control over the vast number of shortcut keys. There are loads of sites with tips on how to do it, of course.

These days the adverts are far less intrusive with the new Ads By Google bar which takes up no more room than an ordinary (small) toolbar.

Have I convinced you yet? (http://www.opera.com/download/) :-)

Rob99
02-09-2004, 01:02 PM
No.
I use firefox most of the time, but still have to use IE to access some sites, I find this bloody anoying.
I like the tabed style of firefox, and if IE had this I would switch back to IE as my default as well.
If the developers could get {mozilla/netscape/firefox} to work on all websites as IE does, I could reccomend it to other people, but alias I dont.

Susan B
02-09-2004, 01:24 PM
> If the developers could get
> {mozilla/netscape/firefox} to work on all websites as
> IE does, I could reccomend it to other people, but
> alias I dont.

Why should mozilla/netscape/firefox have to make their browsers accept non-standard webpage code? They do a pretty good job of it now to a certain degree but really, it should be the webpage authors' responsibility to get their code right in the first place. They will only do that if and when enough people complain about their non-standard code.

Metla pointed out a site a couple of weeks ago that had a small amount of non-standard code and after a number of PF1 people emailed the webmaster and complained, it was corrected.
Moral: tell us know what pages you are having problems with and let us deal with it. ;-) :D

stu120404
02-09-2004, 01:32 PM
> Metla pointed out a site a couple of weeks ago that
> had a small amount of non-standard code and after a
> number of PF1 people emailed the webmaster and
> complained, it was corrected.

Example the domainz.net.nz domain name search now works with firefox ( before it did Not & I had to use IE)

Rob99
02-09-2004, 01:57 PM
http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/
The dealer area and the ability to check previous sales does not work with firefox.

http://it.seek.co.nz/index.asp
There are a whole bunch of pages that only work in IE

Lots of people have mentioned parts of Microsoft website are unavailable without using IE.

I am sure there are others, I canít remember.

I could give you loads of VB/Java scripts that only work in IE.

The way the future is heading with .net these problem will die out over time.

I do admit they have been making huge advancements over the last two years, and I now test most pages I write with both browsers, but I never use to. (half probably due to my crappy code but the other half is definitely the browsers fault)

I realise it is also the developers job to make sure things work, but this does not always happen, so I will not recommend this browser to other people(meaning people with little computer experience) because it will display the page fine but when they try to interact with it they will fail, and not knowing to much they will think it is something they are doing wrong, when clearly it isnít.

Mike
02-09-2004, 02:17 PM
> So I will now sit back and wait for all the flame or
> derision to be poured on my decision :D

I'm with you Terry :) I have tried many others, haven't really found them to my liking, and have stuck with IE. I like it, it does the job, its quick to load, and easy to understand. Plus more sites work with it than the others, so why should I need to use two browsers when I've got one already that'll load everything :D

Mike.

andrew93
02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
> I like the tabed style of firefox, and if IE had this
> I would switch back to IE as my default as well.

I agree with Rob99 there - I prefer the multiple tabs which doesn't choke up the Windows taskbar.

>Am I Odd?

Nope!

I still have to revert to IE on occasion but it's no big deal.
:)

Terry Porritt
02-09-2004, 02:25 PM
>>When was the last time you fired up Opera, Terry?

So long ago I cant remember, but it was Opera version 2.5 or something like that, with Windows 95 I think or was it Win 3.11. :)

I tell you what, I dug out my drive with Windows For Workgroups 3.11 a few weeks ago and downloaded Mosaic (you can still get it), and it still works.
WFWG runs very fast indeed on a 1.33GHz Thunderbird!

nzStan
02-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I only ever use IE if I have to.

Otherwise I'm using Firefox 99.99999%

I did visit on news site where they have an e-version applet, looks so good I was going to subcribe for it but turned out it will only run on IE so I cancelled.

Cptn Hotshot
02-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Since moving to Firefox, I have configured it to look exactly like IE6. The home users hadn't noticed the change until I pointed it out to them.

I much prefer Firefox, particularly having the configuration flexibility and the ability of blocking popups, the plugins that can be used (sorting bookmarks alphabetically, addblocking etc) and the multiple tabs.

It is much less resource hungry than IE and is not susceptible to the security issues of IE.

I havent had any cause to go back to IE and havent come across any site requiring the use of IE in preference to Firefox.

Murray P
02-09-2004, 02:47 PM
It's just plain wrong that when a popular browser does not work with a (standards) non-compliant site it is the browsers fault. Proprietary code is a different kettle of fish for which if, you stretch it, could be blamed on the browser but, there is no reason on earth for any modern browser not to work on any site except for shear bloody ignorance/sloppiness or intentionally. Don't forget there is Java then there is Java and as for ActiveX, one of the worst things foisted on innocent users ever. I am of the opinion that despite it's functionality IE is one of the crappiest tricks in the book no matter what is tipped on top of it to cover up it's faults Grrrrrrr. Ahhh, I feel much better now thanks.

TP, you use what you like for whatever reason and that goes for anyone.

Cheers Murray P

Rob99
02-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Another reason I use IE from time to time is the google toolbar, I use it to vote for a site to increase it's search engine ranking.
Does anyone know if these extra buttons can be added to firefox?

rodb
02-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Having been bombarded everywhere with the merits of Firefox I decided to install it. What do you know? The second site I visited with it (internet banking) correctly displayed a printable PDF layout, but Firefox refused to do so. I have since found that it will not handle PDF printing from other sites.
Also, I can not find a way to set up multiple ISP accounts, and the program always uses whatever ISP is set as the IE default at the time.
So........
The above, and other minor irritations, have sent me back to trusty IE.

TonyF
02-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Odd ? No more than those of us who stick to Win 98, OE6 etc etc. Everyone to their own needs ...
(But do try the current Opera ..)

Cheers T

Murray P
02-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Google Bar (http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=33)

Google Bar with Page Rank (http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=193&vid=492)

Firefox Extensions (http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?category=All)

Cheers Murray P

Cheers Murray P

nzStan
02-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Weird - I've been printing PDF on Firefox since day one without any problem. And I print a lot of PDFs.

TonyF
02-09-2004, 03:47 PM
See http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117550,00.asp for reasons to consider dropping IE....

D. McG
02-09-2004, 04:50 PM
> Moral: tell us know what pages you are having problems with and let us deal with it.

Here's one: The "View Voters' Comments" page underneath the poll on the main page of the PC World website. Or does Firefox need some special plug-in?

(In case some of you don't have Firefox to try it out, the comments are completely missing in Firefox & earlier versions of Mozilla, but visible in IE.)

Terry Porritt
02-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Well. I must be odd then, as I can't see viewers comments with either Firefox or IE ?:|

TonyF
02-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Show up in my IE, which is rusty from non-use.....

caffy
02-09-2004, 06:52 PM
A query: does Opera have tabbing, like firefox does?

TonyF
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
> A query: does Opera have tabbing, like firefox does?
Caffy, where have you been ? Tabbing discussions have been all opver this forum..
"Opera includes pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, integrated searches, password manager, zooming, easy customization, detailed privacy and security options, integrated mail, news, chat and newsfeeds functionality, and much much more.."
Go have a look, and try it !
Cheers Tony

Susan B
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
> Here's one: The "View Voters' Comments" page
> underneath the poll on the main page of the PC World
> website. Or does Firefox need some special plug-in?
>
> (In case some of you don't have Firefox to try it
> out, the comments are completely missing in Firefox &
> earlier versions of Mozilla, but visible in IE.)

I have never seen those comments before! :O

All I have ever seen is the question and the results percentage. Opera doesn't display them either but IE does. :-(

On PC World's website, of all places - shame !!!!! :D

Dolby Digital
02-09-2004, 08:11 PM
>>IE is one of the crappiest tricks in the book
Thats another black mark - Bill G ;)

I always remember an interview I had with an IT manager who had the attitude that as 95% of users used IE, then thats what they would code for. The others were not worth worrying about.

And no, I didn't get the job.

TonyF
02-09-2004, 08:22 PM
> All I have ever seen is the question and the results
> percentage. Opera doesn't display them either but IE
> does. :-(
My Opera shows the response from Elisabeth Evans OK, or are you looking for something more ?
T

TonyF
02-09-2004, 08:23 PM
My last one nonsense - I was misreading the screen. Oops ..
T

mikebartnz
03-09-2004, 12:52 AM
>any indication there is an image to view.
Well that is not a browser fault but crappy coders who don't use Alt tags, so once again they are not adhering to the standards.
If a site only works in IE I will never get to see it and do you think I care.

mikebartnz
03-09-2004, 12:55 AM
>And no, I didn't get the job.
You were probably better off without it.

Rob99
03-09-2004, 01:04 AM
http://www.alttags.org/about.php
Another page that does not display properly in firefox, these guys definitely should know better.