PDA

View Full Version : mp3

veterannz
02-09-2004, 09:00 AM
I have an old mpman mp3 player which communicates thru the printer port to my PC. (28 pin) . Is it possible that this connectin could be replaced with a USB connection as it means I have to disconnect printer to tranfer data to the mp3 player. Or is there such a thing as a 2 in 1 printer port plug

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
You could buy a PCI parallel port and install an extra one.

BUT a parallel port only has 25 pins, not 28. I dont know how the mp3 player's connection is going to fit. (or is 28 a typo)?

veterannz
02-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Sorry. Should read 25 to 18 paraalel cord.There is a facility for expanding the memory by adding a 32M SMC. Do you think it would supprt a 64M SMC. It has a 32mb inbuilt memory

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh so the mp3 player supports Smartmedia cards? Is that what SMC stands for?

Umm, if the player has a slot for a card, if you did get an extra card for the slot, IT SHOULD extend whats on that card with the builtin memory.

ie: If you got a 64mb card or 128 mb card, that SHOULD give u 96mb or 160mb to play with. An easier way besides the parallel port connection would be, if you got something like a USB card reader....eg: like these.

http://dse.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid=4136420802ee3fe6273fc0a87f990 688&site=&w=card+reader

Either internal or external, if your computer has USB ports on it. A lot easier to transfer mp3's etc backwards and forwards to the player.

What's the brand and the model of the player you have?? You would have to go to the manufacturer's site (if theyre still around), and check how much that slot can take...

veterannz
02-09-2004, 10:48 AM
http://www.mpman.com/sites/english/p_f20.asp

Thats the manufactures site.It suggests that 32 M is the biggest SMC you can add. I just wondered if a 64m SMC was the same physical size, would it work?

Mike
02-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Having a look on that site - it shows a USB cable as one of the accessories, so you should be able to get a USB cable that plus into the device. However whether its stocked in NZ or not is another matter.

Mike.

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 11:01 AM
I dont think so. You're right the slot can only take 8,16, or a 32mb SMC card. That SHOULD take into account the onboard memory, which SHOULD take it to 64mb..

Any higher, I dont think the mpman would read it.

yingxuan
02-09-2004, 12:36 PM
I have a parallel to usb cable.I haven't tried it yet.Its design for my printer.My dad tried it and it didn't work.It came with drivers.You would be betta off buying a new mp3 plyaer

Mike
02-09-2004, 12:37 PM
>> I have a parallel to usb cable.

A parallel to usb cable would not be suitable. He needs a 18pin to USB cable (specific to the MP3 player).

Mike.

Graham L
02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
You can get an (not cheap ... this is a clever device) adaptor which plugs into USB and provides a 36pin "Centronics" printer connector. That might or might not work if you could find the adapter to convert back to the DB25S connector your MP3 player uses.
It's quite likely that it wouldn't work. Your MP3 player isn't a printer. :D

You have three options:

You can get a switch which will let you choose between the printer and the MP3. (This might require rebooting on each change --- printers aren't "hot-swappable".)

You can install another printer port. This is probably cheaper than ...

Buy a new, USB, MP3 player.