PDA

View Full Version : Installed sp2 & all hell broke loose!

Mzee
02-09-2004, 12:36 AM
I should have known better, but curiosity got the better of me.
I installed sp2 in my reliable XP Pro. All the arrogance of Microsoft came back, Zone alarm had a fit but had to have the Windows firewall deactivated because it only works one way. Kept on nagging me about my antivirus which was up to date. Anyway I decided to restore it and it promptly corrupted the drive, so badly that it would no respond to formatting. I had to overwrite the primary partition, and then start from scratch.
It is now working well without sp1 or sp2, is fast, shuts down quickly and boots quickly.
I will take my own advice in future and leave updates alone ;)

Rob99
02-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey thats bad luck your having.

Murray P
02-09-2004, 01:48 AM
I guess it isn't anywhere near ready for some setups, maybe not for another few weeks at least. Hard way to find out :(

I'd be a little wary without at least the Blaster patch on it Mzee if your going on the net or connected to a network of any kind that does.

Good luck :)

Cheers Murray P

zqwerty
02-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Look here:

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1157744

Vince
02-09-2004, 02:52 AM
> I should have known better, but curiosity got the
> better of me.
> I installed sp2 in my reliable XP Pro. All the
> arrogance of Microsoft came back, Zone alarm had a
> fit but had to have the Windows firewall deactivated
> because it only works one way.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but you should not blame MS if you tried to run two firewalls at the same time. They do warn against doing that in the 'Security Center'.

Kept on nagging me
> about my antivirus which was up to date. Anyway I
> decided to restore it and it promptly corrupted the
> drive, so badly that it would no respond to
> formatting.

It might have been better to wait a day or two seeing as your virus definitions were up to date.

I had to overwrite the primary partition,
> and then start from scratch.
> It is now working well without sp1 or sp2, is fast,
> shuts down quickly and boots quickly.
> I will take my own advice in future and leave updates
> alone ;)

It must have been hell. Vince

FeuerBrennt
02-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Well SP2 affects 1 in 10 WinXP computers. As reported here (http://theinquirer.net/?article=18203)

Terry Porritt
02-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Your experience does show the importance of having another drive to clone your existing setup to.
Then if anything does go wrong you can revert and/or investigate exactly what is causing the update problem.

I know ZA is popular, but it is very invasive, and it takes a lot of removing. A simple uninstall leaves a lot of baggage behind.

I didnt have, and dont have any problems with Kerio Personal Firewall running together with the XP firewall.

None of that helps you, but what I'd suggest is that if you now have a clean basic XP install, then try SP2 again.

mark.p
02-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I like this bit-"This was probably due to the fact that they were more likely to use older software which can't handle SP2." hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now when was SP2 released? I have forgotten already, it was that long ago.

Mzee
04-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Most of the security risks seem to stem from "Internet Explorer".
I don't use IE on the net, it is blocked by the Firewall, it is kept for other programs, editors etc which use it as a Gui.

IE can be removed by running "XP Lite", as can most of the other accessories.
In fact you can whittle XP down to NT, but I like my XP as it is :)

Its only a matter of time before the other Browsers are attacked.