PDA

View Full Version : faq #666 The truth about Video Cards **Beta**

metla
01-09-2004, 11:12 PM
The truth about Video cards

Captains log
Star date 00110010 00110100 00101110 00110000 00111000 00101110 00110010 00110000 00110000 00110100

If your looking at purchasing a video card with the purpose of playing games then this is for you. We will start off with an extremely brief recommendation and then cover the whys and how’s further down. The recommended cards are based on ability to run games and value for money.

Buyers guide in a nutshell.

2nd Hand- Nvidia Gforce 4 TI series, Expect to pay between $80 and $160,The 9500pro and 9700pro cards are also worth picking up if they can be found cheap

Budget-ATI 9600 pro, Expect to pay between $200 and $350

Midrange-ATI 9800pro,expect to pay between $400 to $600

High end-I would suggest looking at the Nvidia 6800 series but it would be wise to do a boatload of research before paying over the cash for an expensive item. Expect to pay around $800 to $1200.

Right-The Guts of the matter.

Ram-128mb vs 256mb

Many people for reasons that escape me are of the belief that the video card is defined by the amount of ram, This is a falsehood, the ram only dictates the size of the textures the video card can handle, and while a card with 256mb of ram can theoretically handle larger textures its always limited by the speed of the video chipset,
Purchase your card based on the chipset, not on the amount of ram, although the speed of the ram is a consideration as manufactures have many cunning and evil tricks up their sleeves…..but we shall cover underhanded tactics later in the piece.

AGP VS PCIe

Basically a scam, an excuse to charge more for an existing card without any extra performance.

I’ll say this once again, the speed of any video card is defined by its chipset, not in this case by the slot its plugged into, its like putting a set of Formula1 tires rated at 400mph on the old Holden and expecting her to go faster.
The current generation of cards do not and cannot make use of the bandwidth supplied by 16xPCI,this will change in the future but if I were to hazard a guess I would say not next generation but the generation after that before we see cards running faster in PCIe then AGP, and even then it will (well, maybe) only be apparent in the high end cards.
Only worth taking into consideration if you’re already looking at buying a new Motherboard

Buying a PCI card.

This is in relation to purchasing a card that runs on the old-fashioned pci slot (what’s the rate of these babies…33mhz?)
Anyhow, technology has far outpaced the capabilities of the Original pci slot, these will restrict any card to the speed of the of the pci slot, So buy the cheapest one you can, spending more money will give you zero as in a big fat nothing, ziltch, performance over a cheap model
I would suggest an Nvidia Gforce4mx, or ATI 7000.
Expensive for what they are, expect to pay 80 to 140 dollars, and don’t expect it to run games at an acceptable level.

Underhanded Tactics

Both ATI and Nvidia are guilty of some heinous marketing scams, as are the manufacturers that produce the cards.

1.Taking old model cards and re-branding them the current range, Case in point a Gforce4mx is a re-branded Gforce2, Great card……5 years ago. They have nothing in common with the gforce4ti cards they were marketed along with. ATI have done the same thing with a few different models.

2.Budget models. The manufacturer uses the name and basic specs of a card worth buying and by using cheaper components bring out a crippled a version. Usually you have to pay close attention to the spec sheet to identify them.

Steer clear of any ATI cards branded as SE or Encore, and any nVidia cars branded as XT or MX, heck, while your taking note of what to avoid you might as well steer clear of any Nvidia card in the FX range, Terrible value for money…. especially the FX5600.

Overclocking

Many cards on the market are capable of being overclocked (this means to increase the speed they run at, giving better performance). Some can only handle a marginal increase and others can be ramped up to give considerably better performance on par with a more expensive card. If your looking to purchase a card that OC’s to hell and back twice then Overclockers NZ publish often updated report on what cards on the NZ market are worth tracking down.

Laptop Chipsets

If you want a laptop that is capable of playing games, then grab one with the 9600pro, 9700pro or 9800pro chipset. These are stripped down versions of the desktop equivalent but will enable you to play Doom3 at the kitchen table while eating tea.
Laptop chipsets will be covered in more depth in the soon to be unrestrained “guide to buying a laptop”

Final Word

Buyer beware, if you see a card for sale that is cheaper then expected then there will be a trade off in performance even if you can’t initially pick it up in the specs, The manufacturers are getting more cunning in regard to this.

Right,thats that then,rip it apart,re-write it,roll it into a ball and flush it.

..._........................_...
.(....\.................../....).
. \....\................/...../..
...\....\............./...../....
....\..../´¯.|.¯`\...../......
..../....|....|....(¯`\.|......
...|.....|....|.....\....\|......
...|.....|´¯.|´¯.|\....\......
...|......`¯ ..¯´........|.....
...|...........|............|......
....\.......... \........../.......
......\.__../....__../.........

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 11:17 PM
What about the difference between the Pro and XT etc versions of cards... Performance variations although both may be, say, a Raedon 9700?!

metla
01-09-2004, 11:20 PM
I based it on value for money to keep it as basic as possible,the xt version is the same as the pro with a slight tweak of the clockspeed,And the price difference can be as much as 200 dollars....so in regards to the difference,The Pro is much better value for money.

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 11:25 PM
So in reality (This is what Im trying to get at) the "Pro" is only second-best to the "XT" version, correct?!

And what about nVidia's naming of "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly"... ;-)

Pheonix
01-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Well done "Broom" , nice and clear with that twisted humour of yours :D

Might I add to Chill's suggestion and expand on the differences of the SE, XT ,Pro etc.. so people can get an idea of those little letter add ons, in the performance stakes, ie Lowest = SE , middle = XT , Best = Pro (and where the hell does the card performance come in if it doesn't have one of those letters after it's name.)

robsonde
01-09-2004, 11:30 PM
what is wrong with my 4Mb onboard graphics??

what the deal with DVI connectors? do i need one?

how can i connect my system to the TV?

Growly
01-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Let's not forget this common mistake:

ATI Radeons:

"Pro" cards are better than normal. "XT" cards are even better still.

(Getting better -->)
|Normal| ----------------- |Pro| ----------------- |XT|

nVidia Geforces:

"XT" cards are trash. "Pro" cards are much better.

(Getting better -->)
|XT| ----------------- |Normal| ----------------- |Pro|

(Not counting the new ones)

Rock on.

andrew93
02-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks metla, I can now make an informed buying decision without wading through all those previous graphics cards threads nor rely on overzealous sales reps or bogus (i.e. sponsored) reviews.

DDR3 - is it worth a mention? Is it all it is cracked up to be?

Good effort, keep it up, thanks again and cheers. :D

KingWave
02-09-2004, 12:29 AM
ATI Radeons:

"Pro" cards are better than normal. "XT" cards are even better still.

(Getting better -->
|Normal| ----------------- |Pro| ----------------- |XT| ----------------- |XT PE| (XT Platinum Edition)

nVidia Geforces:

"XT" cards are trash. "Ultra" cards are much better.

(Getting better -->
|MX|------------|XT| ----------------- |Normal| ----------------- |GT|---------|Ultra|----------- |Ultra Extreme|

Lmao at that logo thing.

Do you want to mention something about steering clear of 128bit versions of the 9800 pro? Bad performance and extremely bad value etc.

And I'd like to see it stickied at the front page, rather than a slow loading FAQ.

KingWave
02-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Just for the sake of post padding:

You might want to mention some cooling options if you're overclocking or refer them onto the OCNZ forums. Something like this:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=198497

Which comes with RAM sinks as well. Optional cooler required for the faster cards etc.

Do you want to mention anything about dodgy manufacturers, or the best ones for making cards?

Murray P
02-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Good stuff, good flow, well done Metla.

Just a few suggestions:

As the others have suggested, a bit of expansion on the various iterations of the cards, you'd almost have to do a table that you/someone could update.

When mentioning the various generations can you put the ATI or nVidia in front so the newbs ans thicko's like me can get a handle on all this new info without having to scroll back to see who made what.

Will you put any more review sites in apart from OCNZ [link], I know it's abit shifty out there with sponsors skewing the field but for newbs a bit of advice for un-biased reviews would be great.

And, yes, the bit thing could deserve a mention.

I know this will make the FAQ a bit longer but I get the impression that when it comes to info on hardware, those seeking it will spend more time and effort researching it and don't mind a good meaty read, with entertainment value of course.

Cheers Murray P

metla
02-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Ok,so far we have,

A descrption of the model names and numbers from both manufacters and how they fit into the scheme of things as far as performance is concerned.

Mention of the 128bit rather then 256bit memory that has recently been used on some ATI cards

Direct links to places of interest.

such as
OCNZ
Anadtech
madonion
video card section of computermedic.co.nz

anything else?

Pete O\'Neil
02-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Could always mention that PCIe may actually offer worse preformance than AGP due to the fact that both nVidia and ATi use bridge chips, increasing the latency. Also its perhaps worth mentioning that the X600 is mearly a rebadged 9600. And could you please perhaps make a small comment at the bottom saying that a 9600 is not a good upgrade for a Ti4200, the number of times people ask me why the cant notice any difference between their old Ti4200 and their new 9600pro is unbelievable.

Pete O\'Neil
02-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Heres all the ATi and nVidia cards rated from worst to best, loosely based on the Toms Hardware VGA Chart, it would be a good idea to provide a link to the VGA chart. Yes its from Toms Hardware so it should be taken with a grain of salt, but its fairl accurate and uses bright colourful graphs that even noobs can understand

9000PRO
9100PRO
9200PRO
X300
9600SE
9550 64bit
9550 128bit
9600PRO
9800SE or 9800 128bit
9500PRO
9600XT
X600XT
9700PRO
9800PRO
9800XT
X800PRO
X800XT
x800XTPE

5200 64bit
MX440
5200 128bit
5200U
5600 EP/XT/LE
5700 EP/XT/LE
5600U
5700U
5900XT
5800u
5900u
5950U
6600GT
6800GT
6800U
6800UE

tweak\'e
02-09-2004, 11:53 AM
>Right,thats that then,rip it apart,re-write it,roll it into a ball and flush it.

ok........

firstly any advice on prices for various models is just about meaningless. in a month (even a few weeks) the prices have changed. in 6 months time when a new series is released the prices get really changed about.

>Ram-128mb vs 256mb

who cares. work out what is required at the time of purchase. in 6 months time all new cards may all be 256.

>AGP VS PCIe

again it dosn't matter to much. very few motherboards will be coming out with both (and the ones that have both the AGP is crippled). if you have AGP you buy an agp card, if you have PCIe you buy a PCIe card.

>Buying a PCI card.

the only reason anyone buys a pci card is because the have to. there is not many optoins around. there are slow and cost more than the agp/PCIe version. your simply better off trying to advoid the NEED to buy one in the first place.

>Underhanded Tactics

it dosn't really matter to much if gf4mx is based on gf2 or not. what matters is price vers performance and advailability.

the biggest dirty tactics is driver cheating, eg certain drivers make the card run really good but only in certain tests/programs. in real world sitution the card runs worse than the tests indicate :(

Nvidia and ATI are only 2 video card manafactures, there are others. some have very good budget cards. don't forget some 90% of pc's either have onboard graghics or budget cards.

>Final Word, Buyer beware

thats says it all. when it comes time to buy your card look at all the specs and check with the sites that test the cards. they often will test everything and find all the little bits the manafacture never tells you. also they can test its performance, but just check the platform they test it on is fairly close to yours otherwise it may run worse in your pc.

rember that chip makers only make the chips, the manafactures add what ram, ramdac ,other features and support parts on to suit what market they are aiming for.

also watch the advertising. it quite commen to see a card labeled ULTRA when its not even useing the ultra ver of that chip. just because the packet says pro, ultra, xt, etc dosn't mean it is.

metla
02-09-2004, 12:14 PM
hmmm.

>>firstly any advice on prices for various models is just about meaningless

I disagree,its a buyers guide and some ballpark figure of prices have to be mentioned,The faq will have to be updated 3 or 6 monthly to stop it becoming irrilivent but that was always the plan anyhow.

>Ram-128mb vs 256mb-who cares

Hmm...Don't quite follow your attitude in relation to this,Its a topic that comes up often,Most have a misconception about it,it affects performance and budget.

So do you suggest if someone asked about the difference between cards with different ram the best reply would be who cares?

>AGP VS PCIe-again it dosn't matter to much

I believe it does,especially to someone who may have been contemplating retiring a card like a g4ti and buying a new motherboard with PCIe and a card such as the pcie X600.They would have wasted a boatload of money.Pitfalls can't be avoided unless someone points them out.

>Buying a PCI card.-the only reason anyone buys a pci card is because the have to. there is not many optoins around

They range in price from 25 to 200 dollars,plus the question of PCI cards is raised quite often so the issue had to be covered.

>Underhanded Tactics-it dosn't really matter to much if gf4mx is based on gf2 or not. what matters is price vers performance and advailability.

Aye?....Its an example of the tactics used by the big companies,its perhaps the most relivent point in the entire article.Old tech rebadged and marketed as part of the current(at the time anyway) range.

>Nvidia and ATI are only 2 video card manafactures, there are others. some have very good budget cards. don't forget some 90% of pc's either have onboard graghics or budget cards.

Notice the first line?...it mentions video cards from a gamers view,I know of no other manufactuer that makes a product that comes within any distance of Nvidia or ATI,Similary onboard graphics and video chipsets not capable of playing games are ignored.

metla
02-09-2004, 12:16 PM
>>rember that chip makers only make the chips, the manafactures add what ram, ramdac ,other features and support parts on to suit what market they are aiming for.

Thats a falsehood,Both have been farming out production of the chipsets,Plus any card released to the market has to have its specs aproved by the company whose chipset design they use.Ultimatly ATI and Nvidia are responcible for whatever makes its way to the shelves.

Mike
02-09-2004, 12:26 PM
> Notice the first line?...it mentions video cards from
> a gamers view,I know of no other manufactuer that
> makes a product that comes within any distance of
> Nvidia or ATI,Similary onboard graphics and video
> chipsets not capable of playing games are ignored.

It might be wrong to exclude all onboard graphics as there are some now that are quite capable of playing the latest games.

Mike.

Murray P
02-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Metla, would it be worth mentioning the various mobo chipsets, cpu's and system ram that are available, if only a heads up that some cards will perform in some environments better than others and that it will need to be researched at time of purchase to avoid possible disappointment. I know it's all getting a bit complex but, complexity is inherent in the subject which is why this FAQ will be such a valuable resource. I suspect there's going to be a well trodden path to it as well.

As you've taken some suggestions on board and no doubt will add some more along with your own refinements, may I also suggest that you split it up into more specifically defined sections (contents) for easy access to specific info and easier updating in the future.

Cheers Murray P

Pete O\'Neil
02-09-2004, 12:41 PM
> It might be wrong to exclude all onboard
> graphics as there are some now that are quite capable
> of playing the latest games.
>
> Mike.

Such as........ the fastest onboard graphics ive seen is the 9100 IGP, i'd like to see you play DOOM3 on that. Some of the latest laptop graphics are capable of DOOM3 etc, but there not widely used in desktop PC's. The grapics chips used in these laptops are mearly mobile versions of their desktop counterparts the only difference is that they arent removable(granted Dell do make some of theirs removable).

metla
02-09-2004, 12:58 PM
aaaarrrrrgggghhh......i've created a demon....

as to covering cpu,motherboards,and ram,they could all just about have their own faq,once you delve into those subjects there is a lot of info to cover to do it properly.

Perhaps a seperate faq for each and one that ties them them alltogether,a system faq.

Murray P
02-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Then perhaps a brief explanation of the limitations of onboard would be warranted? eg, shared memory

Cheers Murray P

metla
02-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Yep,thats a definite add-in.

tweak\'e
02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
>The faq will have to be updated 3 or 6 monthly to stop it becoming irrilivent

try monthy if not weekly. it easier (for an FAQ) just to leave the prices out of it.

>>Ram-128mb vs 256mb-who cares
>Hmm...Don't quite follow your attitude in relation to this

because its only dealing with a current issue which won't really be relevent later on and performance vers cost takes care of it anyway.

>So do you suggest if someone asked about the difference between cards with different ram the best reply would be who cares?

i tell em .who cares......go buy whatever one that is the best performing for the $$ that is currently advailable.

>>AGP VS PCIe-again it dosn't matter to much
>I believe it does,especially to someone who may have been >contemplating retiring a card like a g4ti and buying a new motherboard

and exactly how many PCIe borads are advailable (single cpu) ?

>Aye?....Its an example of the tactics used by the big companies,its perhaps the most relivent point in the entire article.Old tech rebadged and marketed as part of the current(at the time anyway) range.

nothing wrong with old tech. they may be slow but they fill the budget market very well.

>Notice the first line?...it mentions video cards from a gamers view

The recommended cards are based on ability to run games and [b]value for money[b].

there isn't a card manafactured that can't run games no matter what manafacture.

>>rember that chip makers only make the chips, the manafactures add >>what ram, ramdac ,other features and support parts on to suit what >>market they are aiming for.

>Thats a falsehood,Both have been farming out production of the >chipsets,Plus any card released to the market has to have its specs >aproved by the company whose chipset design they use.Ultimatly ATI >and Nvidia are responcible for whatever makes its way to the shelves.

nope. nvidia, ati,via,sis all make reference designs to whiich most manafactures base their products on. they don't HAVE to stick to the reference design. nvidia etc don't have to approve each design, the simple matter of cost of designing your own board means most don't alter the reference design to much. the no boot nforce2 mobos are a classic example of what happens when you shortcut the reference design.

metla
02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
and perhaps a section on system bottlenecks.

metla
02-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Tweak,you have missed the point of the faq,to cover the questions that arise in these forums,"who cares" is not an answer.

>there isn't a card manafactured that can't run games no matter what manafacture.

Excuse me?,Please load up prince of persia Sands of time on any non-dx9 card and get back to me.

>>nope. nvidia, ati,via,sis all make reference designs to whiich most manafactures base their products on. they don't HAVE to stick to the reference design. nvidia etc don't have to approve each design, the simple matter of cost of designing your own board means most don't alter the reference design to much. the no boot nforce2 mobos are a classic example of what happens when you shortcut the reference design.

Drop it,your wrong,Many pernerships have been cancelled due to Nvidia and ATI refusing to let manufactueres make changes to the reference design to early in the product cycle.They dont buy a lisence then just have the right to produce anything they want and slap a name on it.

Do you really think any lisencing agrement works that way?....The companies are not allowed to devalue a brand name whenever they feel like it.

Murray P
02-09-2004, 01:15 PM
> aaaarrrrrgggghhh......i've created a demon....

A monstrous demon :_|

> Perhaps a seperate faq for each and one that ties
> them them alltogether,a system faq.

Hmm... demonic spawn, Metla's brood. They can be tricky sods to birth though, backwards, sideways, upsidedown, but never straight forwards. You'll need someone to man (or woman) the forceps pal and administer the pain killers (best advice I can give here is copious quantities of alcohol). Then of course you will have to mother your clutch into respectable demonhood, any hint of the father contributing BTW ;\

Cheers Murray P

Pete O\'Neil
02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
>>nope. nvidia, ati,via,sis all make reference designs to whiich most >>manafactures base their products on.
Cant forget the beast that was XGI Volari ;)

tweak\'e
02-09-2004, 01:51 PM
and i even forgot "Intel , the current market leader in the graphics chip business" ....arggghhhhhh ;-)

icyred
02-09-2004, 01:59 PM
> Perhaps a seperate faq for each and one that ties
> them them alltogether,a system faq.

one faq to rule them all, one faq to find them ?

cheers

icy

J ZEP
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi Metla :-) - keep up the good work ;-), as i can only imagine the huge undertaking a FAQ entails, with all the variables taken into account ;-).
Its looking good:-).
My small 2 cents worth... (would be more of a footnote, end tip...).
I think it may be valueable to add something i have picked up recently from some of your postings... i.e The importance of removing (completely) old vid card drivers, in paticular, if you are "changing brands" (ATI to Nvidia vica vsa) - as this appears to be a common cause of problems (not removing old drivers completely) when upgrading and changing cards. I found your reference to the "Drivercleaner" program very helpful and used it recently;-)

Drivercleaner (http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/)

metla
02-09-2004, 02:33 PM
doh.....Thats another issue i meant to cover and some how missed out.

Drivercleaner well definitly be included in the next revision.

Susan B
02-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Nice one, Metla, well done. :-)

The others have made some very good suggestions to include. Don't worry about the FAQ becoming too large - if you stick to the current layout with the summary at the top and the more detailed info below for those who want/need it that will keep everybody happy. Just as long as we have got all the info in one place to save people having to dig out the graphics card threads and to save you guys from answering the same old questions all the time.

By the way, you can't have FAQ #666, that was taken (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22868&message=67363&q=faq+666#67363) long ago. ;-) :D

Rob99
02-09-2004, 03:36 PM
This will be fantastic when finished, cant wait, well done metla.
As I know stuff all about this topic I would generally pick the card with the bigger number thinking it is better. Its good to know you can save a couple of hundie and get a card that will perform nearly as well as much more expensive one.
I dont think it will need to be updated monthly/weekly as sugested, as the people spending craploads on cards should do a little more research as well as checking this faq.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Yes, well done Metla.

Huge task, but you've been doing great with it so far, dont let the size of it put you off :-)
Some really good information in there, Ive learned one or two things myself so far, so thankyou!

Keep it up!

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
> By the way, you can't have FAQ #666, that was
> taken (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=22868&message=67363&q=faq+666#67363)
> long ago. ;-) :D

The subject says it all...

the highlander
02-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Excellent job Metla. With a few additions on onboard video chipsets it will be a valuable and overdue resource. Lot of work for you though but appreciated.

drb1
04-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Metla,

Have you considered a brief section outlining what sort of application usage really requires what sort of display adaptor. I.e. if you only wish to run net and some W/P a 4 Meg SIS is more than adequate (if you can still get one).

Adapters suited for fine CAD do not perform as well in fast game environments and V/V.

That there is at last a publicly acknowledged split in the industry between the requirements of high end game, and the normal user.

That this also applies to CPU and Board requirements to a certain extent.

metla
04-09-2004, 03:40 AM
I was hoping the faq description would cover that issue,that it was from a game playing perspective,ill think i shall make note that being able to run doom3 and be a dx9 card are the basis required specs.....

I'll add it into the list.

sam m
04-09-2004, 07:27 AM
> This will be fantastic when finished, cant wait, well
> done metla.
> As I know stuff all about this topic I would
> generally pick the card with the bigger number
> thinking it is better. Its good to know you can save
> a couple of hundie and get a card that will perform
> nearly as well as much more expensive one.
> I dont think it will need to be updated
> monthly/weekly as sugested, as the people spending
> craploads on cards should do a little more research
> as well as checking this faq.

I agree. I was always under the impression that bigger was better, makes sense when we think in terms of bigger hard drive, faster processors, bigger screens etc.

I got lost reading all the suggestions after your original post metla as it is just gobbledegook to me. I wonder in your writing of the final version consideration should be made as to who your final audience will be. To most of the knowledgeable types here the techno jargon that gets used makes sense to them but then if they know this jargon then they probably know already what video card they would buy anyway.

As a FAQ the wording should be to those less nounce with techno jargon (me) but not at newbie level (my brother) as they wouldnt even know what a video card was. To me, the FAQ in this case would be pitched at someone who knows what a video card is, would like to replace/upgrade it themselves (or with pro help) but would like some input in what card to buy. I just fear that the monster I see unfolding here may well scare off those you intend it to help.

sam m

tweak\'e
04-09-2004, 12:22 PM
>,ill think i shall make note that being able to run doom3 and be a dx9 card are the basis required specs.....

just somehow i thought it would turn into that ;-)

you might as well just make it a "what you need to run DOOM3" faq....o wait theres about a dozen of these over the net already.......

metla
04-09-2004, 12:47 PM
It was alwalys the general area the faq was coming from,its not however doom specific,just current.

tweak\'e
04-09-2004, 01:23 PM
> It was alwalys the general area the faq was coming
> from,its not however doom specific,just current.
>

that still sounds goobltygook. a lot of current games don't require DX9 and there are still a lot that don't even require a 3d card let alone the latest and greatest hardware currently advailable.

your trying to make an faq on a set idea without saying what it is. eg faq on what hardware will run first person shooters made in the last 2 years.

metla
04-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Tweak,you missed the entire point of the faq the first time around,now your trying to define the point of the faq to me?

The year is 2004,the landscape is doom3 and dx9,and the faq is as much as a buyers guide as it is a general coverall of the video card market.

Get it?

shall i try again?

The faq is to cover the options for someone looking to purchase a video card either now or in the next six months for the purpose of playing games.

Go down the store and look whats on the shelves as far as games are concerned,we want to be able to run them,all of them.

I know exactly what i'm trying to do,what are your motives?

tweak\'e
04-09-2004, 02:41 PM
>shall i try again?

yes ;-)

>the faq is to cover the options for someone looking to purchase a video >card either now or in the next six months for the purpose of playing >games.
>Go down the store and look whats on the shelves as far as games are >concerned,we want to be able to run them,all of them.

thats is exactly what should have been writen in your first post.

tweak\'e
04-09-2004, 03:08 PM
sorry i forgot to add......

>know exactly what i'm trying to do,what are your motives?

to "rip it apart,re-write it,roll it into a ball and flush it" just as you asked ]:)

andrew93
04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
If #666 is already taken and this is becoming a monster FAQ then why not use #668 which is the neighbour of the beast?
:D

metla
04-09-2004, 07:00 PM
When Susan requested i compile the faq she advised what number to assign to it so it would fit in with the order she had in mind.

I immediatly forgot it,and now its buried deep in my backup of emails,The finel copy im sure will be numbered correctly.

metla
19-10-2004, 10:18 PM
About to write up a second "beta" video card faq,if anyone has another 2 cents to add then nows the time.

Thats not an invition for the righteously deluded folk to start complaining about how weak they are either.

alphazulusixeightniner
19-10-2004, 10:58 PM
You need a good brand (Enermax etc etc) and wattage PSU to run those 6800~s -has that been mentioned?

metla
19-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Good point,

Murray P
19-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Fire it off met's, we can always have another wee pick, can't we?

Cheers Murray P

spaceman8815
20-01-2007, 04:06 PM
what are your opinions on this graphics card?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45b1842a0066002e273fc0a87f330677/Product/View/XH8385

Dannz
20-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Strongly suggest you make a new post, as not many people are going to bother going through the whole thread to find your post.

Jen
20-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Thread closed by request due to information now out of date.