PDA

View Full Version : Acer Scanner No go

Ladybug
01-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Windows XP home and Acer scanner

The problem being there is no light and no action from the scanner.
Normally when the computer is turned on its starts and waits until used but today nothing. Have checked leads all still connected.

Where to next or is it a visit to the computer doctor???

Thanks Bug

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 07:29 PM
I would try reinstalling the drivers. See if that fixes it. Is it USB?? If so, unplug it and plug it in again.

Ladybug
01-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your reply spacemannz. Im not very knowledgeable about this stuff so if you could tell me in easy terms how to reinstall drivers. And also can I ask what is USB??

Thanks Bug

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 09:03 PM
USB is a way of connecting devices to a pc. Kind of like parallel (a printer connects to a parallel port), BUT USB is more recent.

How is the scanner connected? is it connected to the parallel port or a USB port?? A parallel port is longer than a USB port (it has 25 pins).

USB is thin and looks like a slot...that u plug devices into.

Depending on what the model is, of your scanner, you have to either install the drivers (from CD), or you have to go to the acer site.

Something like www.acer.com or www.acer.co.nz

Find the model of the scanner, download the drivers, then install them.

Can you remember installing drivers at all?? Or anyone installing any?

And what version of Windows are you using?

Ladybug
01-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Ok I have looked through my bag of tricks and I have in front of me a USB Scanner CD-rom driver disk. The computer place who we bought it from set it up for me.

Im using Windows XP home.

The model of scanner is SZW 4300W.

Bug :)

Ladybug
01-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Oh and I did pull the plug out of the back and put it back in still nothing so maybe the drivers then huh - ok next lesson tomorrow maybe.

Thanks for your help so far - i have definately learnt from this. Your patience is appreciated!!!

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Umm does the scanner have a power connection on the back of it?? Is this plugged in as well?? If not, this would be why its not going.

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 09:12 AM
OK u just answered this question about the power!

Another thing u can try, is go to control panel / system / hardware / device manager. Look under Scanners, see if it shows your scanner.

Does anything like a X or ! show beside it?? And double click on the entry of the scanner, if there, see if it says its working properly

And what program are you using to scan with??

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 11:24 AM
One more thing, even tho the power is in the scanner, is it actually turned ON from the power supply?

Ladybug
02-09-2004, 12:14 PM
The scanner is only ever turned off at the mains when the whole computer is turned off. I don't turned it off only. Like I said before when the computer comes on it comes on too and waits to be used. It worked fine a couple of days before and then nothing.

I have Mira scan I think but as mostly I use it to scan pictures to send in emails to family members or put in my pictures I normally just used the one in windows XP.

About to go and have a look under control panel.

Bug :)

Ladybug
02-09-2004, 12:54 PM
I had a look under control panel but couldnt see it on there - but then that might be just me not knowing some of the fancy names. Also tried some of the troubleshooting ideas but still no go. I think that the scanner is dead so it might be easier to take to the shop for someone to look at.

Thanks anyway Spacemannz - :) Bug

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 12:56 PM
No worries Bug :) HTH unless the entry is under USB in device manager??

Under USB if something or even USB isnt working, it may have no entry , a ! or X or ? beside it.

Ladybug
02-09-2004, 01:39 PM
I had another look and nothing under USB has a cross. The only thing in the list that does is - Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC and what that is lol I have no idea.

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Thats your network card the Fast Ethernet NIC. Umm how are you scanning?? Are you opening the program first, then going to a menu or acquire scanner or something? Then scanning?

Ladybug
02-09-2004, 01:55 PM
I normally click on my pictures and under picture tasks it gives you the option to get pictures from scanner.

Gosh Im starting to look like a right noddy arnt I lol

Spacemannz
02-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Open the program u use. There should be an option

--- import - twain and acquire and select scanner.

Your program may have these in different places. Find select scanner if its there. Does the scanner show in there? If so, select it, then find acquire, select it then put something in the scanner and select acquire.

See what happens.

Ladybug
03-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi Spacemannz

When I go into Mirascan it just brings up the front page with on it just has a picture and it says finding scanner, then it brings up a box which says Scanctrl Scanner is not found, please check if scanner power is on or cable is firmly connected.

This is why I think the scanner has died and gone to scan land.

If I take it in and need to get a new one is there one you recommend??

Thanks Bug

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Umm You could try reinstalling the drivers. See if it makes any diff (if u haven't yet). And if u have the driver CD for it.

You sure SZW 4300W is the model? Google or Yahoo find nothing relating to this! If no go I wouldn't bother getting it fixed. It could cost more to repair it than if u brought a new one!

Canon are good scanners. I use one here. It depends on whether u want a normal flatbed scanner, or one that deals with films (negatives).

And how much u want to spend.

You could try Dick Smith (if there's one where u r).

http://www.dse.co.nz

Search for usb scanners. See which one u like.

godfather
03-09-2004, 02:14 PM
If the drivers had gone AWOL, then I would have expected XP to still recognise that the scanner had been connected and it would at least ask for a driver.

I therefore also suspect the scanner has failed, although its also possible its only the power pack that has failed, without testing it you can't easily tell.

Ladybug
03-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Thank you both

I have come to the conclusion - not that I really have a clue - but in my mind I feel it is the scanner failing.

I guess if I took it into the place I bought it ( a computer shop) that they might tell me before they fixed it if in fact it was worth fixing or maybe buy another. I will look at the DSE site as we do have one in our town.

Thanks again to you both

:) Bug

Spacemannz
03-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Well if its still under warranty (under a year) take it back with the receipt. Ask for another one or a refund.

J ZEP
04-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Ladybug, as a side note to what Spacemanz and GF have said. I have had similar scanner probs with my Acer S2W 4300U, eventually getting it replaced.
I believe, however, my probs with it stemmed from a puny wee power supply cord, which were causing probs, as well as the shop said there was a problem with the glass top. Anyway if you have the same kind of cord you will know if thats the problem, as you won't get power, but if you move the cord around a bit (mine was very flimsy, so it was easy to see why it would cause faults, {thats my opinion anyway} :)), you will get power again. Anyway I would try a new power pack/cord first as suggested perhaps :-)

Ladybug
04-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi J Zep

I will have a fiddle with the cords. I have taken it out of the back at put back in but not actually out the back of the scanner. I have talked to someone today they said it was possibly something lol I cant remember what he said it was called but would be about $65 for the part and of course labour on top of that or maybe its the bulb. He didnt actually look at the machine he is just going by what I told him happened.

I am still in 2 minds as to if I take to the shop to have someone look at or just go ahead and purchase another.

Can I be nosy and ask what you replaced yours with???

Thanks Bug :)

J ZEP
04-09-2004, 11:13 PM
>Can I be nosy and ask what you replaced yours with???

Of course you can :-). Actually i should have been a bit clearer... My original scanner was the same model and after a year plus of problems i.e in and out of shop, supposedly being repaired, it was still acting up. It was under warranty though and they ended up giving me a replacement, which is what i have now, the same Model: Acer S2W 4300U. I haven't had any problems with this one, however i don't use it a heck of a lot really, but notice on the odd occasion i will have to move the power cord or plug it in again, presumably cause its packed away in between use now and the cord can easily get misshapen (once again it has the very thin/flimsy power cord), which i personally feel is the problem...

Vince
05-09-2004, 02:04 AM
> Gosh Im starting to look like a right noddy arnt I
> lol

Don't wory, everyone on this forum does that at least once. Vince