PDA

View Full Version : Telecom potentially of illegitimate birth.

willie_M
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else here new that the southern cross - the loop connecting new zealand with the rest of the world - is being used at only 25% of its capacity.

Why? Because if it used all of it, bandwidth would be too cheap, and greedy telecom want yet more profit....

one word.

bastards.

I would say more words, but this is a family forum :D

Graham L
01-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Do you know their mother?

If the cable is being used at 25% of capacity, it's probably being charged for at about 30% of the amount which would be charged for full capacity. And full capacity would have no reserve.

It all costs money. The price doesn't asymptotically approach zero. :D

If you want gigabytes/second to your door, that's fine. Just be prepared to pay for it.

andrew93
01-09-2004, 04:24 PM
> I was just wondering if anyone else here new that the
> southern cross - the loop connecting new zealand with
> the rest of the world - is being used at only 25% of
> its capacity.

Where did you hear this Willie? Is there an article on the web? I'm not an Engineer but I would have thought that some redundancy would have been necessary as part of a larger plan. Plus I thought Telecom didn't own all of the cable - wasn't it a joint venture with a couple of other companies and they only own half?

However, I did find some intereting articles about submarine cable loops here (http://www.reach.com/network/overview.php) and here (http://web.ptc.org/library/proceedings/fiji/papers1.htm).

antmannz
01-09-2004, 07:13 PM
It's my understanding that the Southern Cross cable has only a fraction of it's capacity as willie says.

However, the cable was designed to have spare capacity, so as to alleviate the need to immediately commence the sinking of new cable. There was a estimate of the number of years before planning for a new cable would be required - can't remember where I saw it tho.

willie_M
01-09-2004, 11:25 PM
It was in one of my lectures..

>However, the cable was designed to have spare capacity, so as to alleviate the need to immediately commence the sinking of new cable.

Yes but at the state of this countries internet, they should have whipped the rest out no prisoners by now.

greedy bunch of so and so's!!!

(notice the family content?)

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 11:29 PM
I think also that if they did immediately vamp up the speeds of every connection in the country, therefore using up more the vast majority of the cables bandwidth, they would have issues worrying about the possibility of it being overloaded, and degraded performance as a result of it.

The idea of faster National bandwidth seems appealing to me!

Earnie Moore
02-09-2004, 05:34 AM
Please don't tell us anything we have known for years, this is nothing but a time wasting thread, Please inform us all when it does change.

<PLONK>

Earnie Moore
02-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi everyone it is going to be a nice day today. and I have already cooled down.

willie_M the government of the day would not let anyone else (i.e. Telsa-clear), on the telephone copper wire, this government must be dumped next election, and get some other government that will not let a New Zealand business run as a dictatorship rip off company. So the people of New Zealand can have a real choice without been screwed.

Please everyone change the government, before you bad mouth Telecom at this forum again, and we will see what a new government will do.

Annanz
02-09-2004, 06:13 AM
You sound like a Telecon Employee. And by changing Government will not change anything in the telecom regime.

Earnie Moore
02-09-2004, 07:28 AM
&gt; You sound like a Telecon Employee. And by changing

No I am not, I work for a idiot manufacture in Gray Lynn, I did my apprenticeship in a electronics factory, and had none of the problem I get at this place, because they were professionals, in fact I was going to ask the group if anybody could use a hard working joker. They will not be disappointed.

&gt; Government will not change anything in the telecom
&gt; regime.

I disagree, unless Telecom pay the government "under the table" so to speak, in which case you will be right, nothing will ever change.

Have a nice day Annanz and everyone else and don't let other idiots around you get on top of you, because when I do, I loose out every time.

Dragonslayer
02-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Well a company that has a QUARTLEY net profit of NZ$162 million from a country of 4 Million People, ain't doin' too bad.

http://www.kiwinews.co.nz/cgi-bin/editor/print.pl?article=3077

But then again, it's easy when you have a monopoly, where else can anyone go?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
> And by changing
> Government will not change anything in the telecom
> regime.

Exactly, it wouldn't matter who was in power - basically we vote in the lesser of two evils.

Then the team we vote in cock up the same stuff the other team would've cocked up if they got into power, except the opposition sit there and say "we wouldn't have done that".

*yawn*

As much as I despise Telecom and all it's practices nothings going to change so people might as well **** about it.

That or we could set up a subforum http://telecomrants.pcworld.co.nz - it'd be a nice complement to the SP2 forum we desperately need.

antmannz
02-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Hmmm .... I didn't see Vodafone, or Telstra-Clear or any other telecommunications company in NZ offering to put money into the cable.

Telecom's OK by me, and I can't see the point in people moaning and groaning about things they can't change. :| </rant>

barmypom
02-09-2004, 10:08 PM
> Telecom's OK by me, and I can't see the point in
> people moaning and groaning about things they can't
> change. :| </rant>

If no-one ever moaned and groaned about anything then you can be damn sure NOTHING will ever change!

The more rants, protests, boycotts and pressure put on govt and telecom the better. If nothing still happens then at least the swines will have had a hard time.

Telescum's days are running out (tho not for a while i hate to say) and the greedy pigs at the top are trying to milk as much as they can before it all goes to pot.

I suggest switching to wireless if and when it becomes available over the next few years.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
02-09-2004, 10:52 PM
> Hmmm .... I didn't see Vodafone,

Yeah, a data link to the states would go great guns for a cellphone company.

robo
02-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Can we please limit things to stating one's opinions without needlessly insulting corporations or people?
robo.

metla
02-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Are we no longer allowed to experss an opinion on Telecom?

metla
02-09-2004, 11:25 PM
wait,i get ya now,i just noticed the thread title.

_barmypom_
02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
"Are we no longer allowed to experss an opinion on Telecom?"

No, we must succumb to the nazi regime. Hail Bruce!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hitlermusso.jpg)

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Jen>
I win - I told you he'd be back ;-)

metla
03-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Your way out of line calling anyone a nazi for banning you,You deserved it.

Hell,if i get banned i can garrentee i would have deserved it.

stu120404
03-09-2004, 12:05 AM
> Jen>
> I win - I told you he'd be back ;-)

?:|

andrew93
03-09-2004, 12:14 AM
This (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=9768) guy (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=10573) is obviously a sucker for punishment, so here's something to help you Bruce :

[quote] (http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/pulp.shtml)

JULES :
There's a passage I got memorized, seems appropriate for this situation: Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

[end quote]

BANG!

:D

Greg S
03-09-2004, 12:14 AM
> or we could set up a subforum
> http://telecomrants.pcworld.co.nz - it'd be a nice
> complement to the SP2 forum we desperately need.

:^O :^O

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-09-2004, 12:31 AM
> [quote] (http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/pulp.sht
> l)

So many excellent excellent quotes from that film... might have to *acquire* it again.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Incidentally it'd be appreciated if people could stop frequenting this thread.

There are currently people working around the clock on attempting to get the entire front page to be nothing but reposted SP2 threads - it'd be appreciated if you could all do your bit to assist their efforts.

Greg S
03-09-2004, 12:45 AM
> Incidentally it'd be appreciated if people could stop
> frequenting this thread.
>
> There are currently people working around the clock
> on attempting to get the entire front page to be
> nothing but reposted SP2 threads - it'd be
> appreciated if you could all do your bit to assist
> their efforts.

And you're not perpetuating the trend???

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-09-2004, 12:56 AM
> And you're not perpetuating the trend???

Unfortunately I had to for the announcement.

(and now this response)

*Warning: Original post may have been in jest.

Greg S
03-09-2004, 01:02 AM
> > And you're not perpetuating the trend???
>
> Unfortunately I had to for the announcement.
>
> (and now this response)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *Warning: Original post may have been in jest.

OK I promise not to respond anymore
>

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2004, 01:04 AM
C'mon guys, let it go and go to sleep....

;-)

zqwerty
03-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/09/01/wireless.cities.ap/index.html

Murray P
03-09-2004, 01:14 AM
That was really off, I heard on good authority that Bruce shaved off his mustache years ago.

Cheers Murray P

Earnie Moore
03-09-2004, 01:55 AM
&gt; Are we no longer allowed to experss an opinion on
&gt; Telecom?

We could, but what is the point?
It seems we either love them or hate them, but what ever nothing we say at this web site will change them.

Quite frankly I hate people who have xtra email address, but at the end of the day it just means I'm all screwed up. I been with Clear since day one, first I put tolls though clear, then started Internet with them. I pay my telecom bill a couple of days before it is due and pay no more than I have it, My last month bill I paid clear one month internet use in advance.

Unless we could form a club to get back on Telecom somehow that will change things, I just find this topic pointless on a computer fix forum.

metla
03-09-2004, 02:05 AM
You hate people who have an xtra account?

And people have the nerve to call me grumpy and negative.

Vince
03-09-2004, 02:52 AM
When the cable was first announced Telecom said that was planned to accommodate our needs for the next 10 to 20 years. That is why it is running so far below capacity. Vince

robo
03-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Are you guys not getting enough fibre or what?
Case closed.
robo.
(not Bruce, and yet I agree with him, so do I need to polish my jackboots too?)
PS Name calling and invective is not the same as stating legitimate grievances about an event, company, person, or Coronation St episode.