PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Thoughts on XP SP2

Lohsing
01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I hate it. I'm a Microsoft supporter from way back, but I hate everything this patch has done to my system.

It started ok, but after one week of having it installed on my PC, I started getting random errors.... reading up on the net, I wasn't the only person suffering from this...

It turns out it was a combination of factors:

1. Divx not playing nicely with SP2, when right clicking items it causes explorer crashes.

2. Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools virtual drives causing further random errors when used.

The end result has been a complete re-install of my system and updates to SP1.

I now refuse to install SP2 until these 3rd party software writers sort their stuff out and provide updates compliant with SP2 so that I don't end up with an unstable PC leading to a complete re-install.

Lo.

Mike
01-09-2004, 03:19 PM
>> Thoughts on XP SP2

I find it good.

>> 1. Divx not playing nicely with SP2, when right
>> clicking items it causes explorer crashes.

I've had no problems with DivX...

>> 2. Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools virtual
>> drives causing further random errors when used.

... Nor with Daemon Tools (I don't use A120%).

I'm also a MS supporter from way back, and still am. There are always teething problems with big patches like this, so it might be worth a reload to see if it works better on a cleaner install.

Mike.

Lohsing
01-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Hmmm... my last re-install was only a month ago with full patches till then following a mobo replacement.

I am talking about divx encoding with Dr Divx and SP2... there are definite issues there!

Lo.

CYaBro
01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Lo, I had the same problem with Dr DivX but there is a fix available on the website. It involves editing the registry though.
According to the website they are going to release a new version soon for SP2.

That is the only problem I have found so far.

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Ive been using old and new versions of Alcohol 120% with WinXP SP2 since the first Beta was available! No issues.

Bummer about DivX, but I cant say Ive used Dr DivX to encode.... mencoder does me nicely ;-)

Chill.

Lohsing
01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
> Lo, I had the same problem with Dr DivX but there is
> a fix available on the website. It involves editing
> the registry though.

I thought the fix was purely turning of DEP?

Lo.

Mike
01-09-2004, 03:48 PM
> Hmmm... my last re-install was only a month ago with
> full patches till then following a mobo replacement.
>
> I am talking about divx encoding with Dr Divx and
> SP2... there are definite issues there!

Ah - I don't use Dr Divx :) I have heard there's a fix though.

Mike.

Odin
01-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Post #1 Mine is doing the same and I haven't even installed it yet :D I thought that was just the normal windows operation

CYaBro
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
No you don't have to do that.

Go here in regedit and delete the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\En codeDivXExt

That should fix the right-click errors.

cadifan
01-09-2004, 07:57 PM
With so many people having problems and others none I'm begining to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just return to paper and pencil ?:|

KingWave
01-09-2004, 09:45 PM
To turn off DEP and make all your programs work again:

Go to the boot.ini file and at the end of the line that detects your OS you will see an entry that says :noexecute=xxxx

Remove the entry and replace with the word execute and all progs that are causing a crash will now work.

Also if you have a program that adds itself to the explorer shell then go to

hkey users and the directory folder and the shellx folder then to the contextmenuhandlers and remove the offending prog from there and that removes it from the right click menu and fixes a lot of problems with explorer crashing, also needs to be done to the folder menu in the registry as well.

FeuerBrennt
01-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Well I finally give it a try and I don't get any errors.B-) Maybe I'll wait for two wks and if it cause some trouble to my machine, I will gladly roll it back to SP1.

willie_M
01-09-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't how you people can be MS supporters after all the horrible bad **** they've done! DOTH THEE NOT HAVE MORALS!

I think we need a sticky thread for sp2

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 11:24 PM
> I don't how you people can be MS supporters after all
> the horrible bad **** they've done! DOTH THEE NOT
> HAVE MORALS!

What like??
I think they've done well in helping push computers into the living room of the greater part of the population!

metla
01-09-2004, 11:34 PM
I take issue with them making partnerships with companies,then intergrating there own version into windows and dropping the partner,leaving them to die a horrible death.

Its MS main tactic for advancment,The Java debacle was just one example of such a deal,its happened countless times in the past.

Also,Price structure,forcing companies to sign up to upgrade plan or face a hefty bill when they choose to upgrade.Paying for something in advance that doesn't exsist and probbaly isn't wanted would not sit well with any company,Which is why MS used commercal heft to force their hands.

MS refusing to acknowlwdge faults,Listen up Bill,A back door into someones computer is not a damn Feature,and 200 backdoors are not 200 features.

The MS and Intel relationship.

Back before AMD gave any real competion to IUntel MS and Intel colluded to release products on a schedule with each other,New OS release?,whangbam,new range of cpu on the market.

Meh,im tired so i wont continue but MS are a repulsive company in every sence of the word.

Still,WinXP is my os of choice and Office sure is slick.

willie_M
01-09-2004, 11:42 PM
puh....

sick sick sick sick and sick...

i intend to make a look-at-them-all-in-one-place list of the **** things they've done this week....

but until then heres some links, including a huge, in depth and no speculation essay.

http://www.microsuck.com/
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/IhateMS.html <<very interesting, no bs!
http://www.kmfms.com/

Dolby Digital
02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Metla,

Given your "issues" with M$, I thought you might use Linux... after all your points, I love your last comment that you prefer M$ products.

I will wait to patch my XP to SP2.

icyred
02-09-2004, 01:30 PM
MS are a
> repulsive company in every sence of the word.
>
>
>
>
> Still,WinXP is my os of choice and Office sure is
> slick.

good to see that somebody is able to separate feelings about the company from feelings about the product. Seems to be too many people who adopt such hard-line, black and white attitudes to the issues-e.g. "MS are so terrible in every respect that I wouldn't dare let any form of MS near my computer in case I am cursed by mere contact" ranging to "MS are just absolutely wonderful in everything they do and I believe Bill Gates is a messiah".

Get over it!!!- as metla has said very cogently, MS as a company may engage in some not entirely honourable conduct-doesn't mean you can't still use their products. There is middle ground (even if you may not be used to hearing about it from metla ;\)

Well said metla

cheers

icy

Lohsing
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Exactly.

Shell Oil in Nigeria springs to mind. So does Nestle.

Lo.