PDA

View Full Version : Laptop running hot

Hotkiwi
01-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi,
recently my notebook (Packard Bell) is extremely slow in firing up applications. I also note that on the back the notebook is hotter than before. The serial port touching almost burns my finger! Can there be a relation between the two. I remember that I once saw that the temperature was displayed, do however not remember what application that was. What is acceptable temp if found?
I do not remebre whether I heard a fan in the fan, now I don't hear one.

cheers thanks for helping,
Johan

metla
01-09-2004, 01:30 PM
I would suggest you get it looked at immediately.

So immediately that I suggest you don't use it at all, Death maybe imminent.

..._........................_...
.(....\.................../....).
. \....\................/...../..
...\....\............./...../....
....\..../.|.`\...../......
..../....|....|....(`\.|......
...|.....|....|.....\....\|......
...|.....|.|.|\....\......
...|......` ..........|.....
...|...........|............|......
....\.......... \........../.......
......\.__../....__../.........

wintertide
01-09-2004, 01:30 PM
The laptop should have a fan... It may be choked with dust or have stopped working. If it's under warranty, get the laptop looked at.

As for temperature readings, get Everest Home Edition and look under Computer -> Sensor. If your laptop has a temperature probe, it will show the temperature under that section. Keep in mind though that the sensors may be inaccurate. The temperature shouldn't be above 60 degrees (anyone else correct me on this - I'm not exactly sure on the correct temperature for laptops).

If you're worried about the temperature, you can get notebook USB-powered cooling pads for around $40 or so.

andrew93
01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Another way of bringing the temperature down if you do need to use the laptop is to slightly raise it off the desk - some laptops have feet for this purpose, otherwise slide a pen under each of the 2 rear corners to lift it off the desk.

Graham L
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
If you can't see or hear a fan and it's hot go straight to someone who will know.

Don't load software to "measure" how hot it is. Don't jack it up to use convection if it needs forced air from a fan.

You might be lucky and the CPU is slowing itself down to avoid meltdown. I wouldn't rely on that.

cadifan
01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Mate, never use any computer if you can't hear the fan running, desk or laptop!

Gods-Hitman
02-09-2004, 09:02 AM
My fan on does not run most the time

Most laptops only use fan when heat gets to a point eg 60C and then will stop at 40C or somthing.