PDA

View Full Version : SP2 Firewall

heaton
01-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed. I activate the firewall but when I shut down and start up again I find it is deactivated. Also running AVG and Zone Alarm and these programmes have icons in the tray to remind me that they are active. Anybody else with SP2 installed checked this ? Otherwise no problems with it but would hate to have to manually activate the firewall everytime I start up.

johnboy
01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
this a page on the firewall for sp2 it maybe of some help?
troubleshooting Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a7628646-131d-4617-bf68-f0532d8db131&displaylang=en)
hth

tommy
01-09-2004, 01:19 PM
See this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50926) thread.

gtr676
01-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I am using the winxp sp2 firewall and the zone alarm pro firewall and norton AV 2003 all at once and so far had no probs.

Rob99
01-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Do not use two firewalls. You dont have a problem.

heaton
01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
> I am using the winxp sp2 firewall and the zone alarm
> pro firewall and norton AV 2003 all at once and so
> far had no probs.

Yes but have you checked to see if the firewall is ENABLED ? I would not have known it was not enabled until I checked it. As for the Microsoft sites describing all the ins and outs you need to be a real geek to understand it all. In all that I have read it says that the firewall is enabled by default. So why is it not enabled when I startup my computer ?

jcr1
01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I have just installed SP2; by & large it went pretty well.
I found my home network wasn't working, so I turned off SP2 firewall and now it works fine.
I am running Kerio firewall. So I guess I don't need two of them, anyway my fear would be that one would cancel the other out?

Mzee
02-09-2004, 12:49 AM
The sp2 Firewall is a waste of time, it only controls incoming traffic, not outgoing, so Bill can get his spys out :)
You can not use 2 firewalls at once.

The Sp2 was a disaster for me, when I tried to remove it my drive corrupted and had to start over. Now have XP as it should be, mean & lean, no sp1 & no sp2.

Vince
02-09-2004, 03:05 AM
Why is it that some of us have so much trouble with updates and some, thank God, have none at all? I have installed every update, first for Win98 and more recently XP for the last 4 1/2 years and never a hint of trouble. Vince

andrew93
03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
> You can not use 2 firewalls at once.

Au contraire - I'm using XP Pro SP2 with the firewall enabled as well as ZA Pro - all I had to do was add the truevector programme to my XP firewall list of exceptions and voila the 2 work in sync nicely. The blocked counts are still going up on ZA, my anti-virus and anti-spyware software are not finding any funnies and I'm able to do everything on the 'net that I used to be able to do.

heaton
03-09-2004, 11:55 AM
> Why is it that some of us have so much trouble with
> updates and some, thank God, have none at all? I have
> installed every update, first for Win98 and more
> recently XP for the last 4 1/2 years and never a hint
> of trouble. Vince

Yes this is a good question. Apart from this firewall thing which I am not worried about as Zone Alarm seems to be doing a good job, why are some people having lots of trouble and some not ?
Guess this is a question for the geeks. It would be interesting to get some statistical info from people who are having trouble i.e. what sort of programmes running etc etc.
Like Vince I have kept up with all the updates and installing SP2 from the PC World disk took about an hour but I sat patiently while it did all its thing and whats more it kept telling me what it was doing so no problems.

Mirddes
04-09-2004, 07:21 PM
windows doesnt like them;)

Vince
05-09-2004, 12:03 AM
> Why is it that some of us have so much trouble with
> updates and some, thank God, have none at all? I have
> installed every update, first for Win98 and more
> recently XP for the last 4 1/2 years and never a hint
> of trouble. Vince

Then again, it is not always the updates at fault. I installed SP2 on the first of the month, everything was fine. On the second everything was still allright. Then on the third I had lots of trouble with my computer; low RAM, everything very slow etc. etc.
I decided it was SP2 and tried to do a restore. Three restore points didn't work! I gave up for the time being. Then today everything is working well again, so I guess it wasn't SP2 after all. It may have been conflicting programs as I had several different graphics programs running and a large image file, or two. Vince