PDA

View Full Version : SATA Hard Disks

antmannz
01-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Has anyone here had problems with SATA disks falling off XP??

In the last 2 weeks I've had 2 users with Biostar mobos and Seagate SATA's completely lose the SATA drivers.

Chkdsk will not run: "File system cannot be enumerated."
Fixmbr will not run: "No boot volume located."

When trying to reinstall XP (using F6 and the correct SATA drivers), the drive takes forever to be scanned (appox. 30 minutes), then the install falls over stating that
1.) The install cannot be performed on the partiton; and
2.) the volume is unable to be repartitioned (after existing partitions have been deleted).

Any suggestions, aside from boat anchor usage, would be most welcome.

Sb0h
01-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Nope, I haven't had any trouble with my Seagate SATA drives and XP. Are you running a RAID setup? I'm running a Gigabyte board so maybe it's a biostar board BIOS problem have you checked for an update?

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Are they using 1 or 2 SATA hdd's in their computers?? You DON'T need the drivers (by pressing F6) when installing XP, if you have 1 SATA.

XP, will happily install on 1 SATA.

I use 1 120 GB Sata here as the master boot hdd. And are their SATA's onboard? (I take it they are). Or PCI cards?

It might be a setting in the BIOS thats wrong. If the SATA is onboard.

antmannz
01-09-2004, 02:08 PM
One disk and ummm ..... yes, I do need the drivers (by pressing F6). Doesn't find the HD without it.

Yes, onboard - BIOS set to SCSI.

I'm thinking it's possibly a mobo issue.

I just don't really believe too much in coincidences, particularly in the pc world and 2 in 2 weeks is a little too much for me.
With both being on dial-up, with approx. the same internet usage and auto-windows-update turned on, I had wondered if there was an update which may have caused the havoc. Of course, without being able to boot I guess I'll never know.

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 02:18 PM
I take it the power connector is connected? The cable that connects to the mobo doesnt supply the power just the data.

That maybe another reason why it cant find it, since therres no power going to it.

Graham L
01-09-2004, 03:12 PM
... "BIOS set to SCSI" . Are there other allowable settings? SATA are ATA , not SCSI, though I suppose the driver might make them emulate SCSI. Just a thought. :-)

I remember when the only way to get MS to boot a SCSI drive was to set the IDE ports to "None"; even if there were IDE drives present; the SCSI BIOS extensions didn't override the IDE.

Pete O\'Neil
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Unless the BIOS specifically allows you to boot from SATA you have to tell it to boot to SCSI, booting to SCSI mearly tells the BIOS to boot to a third party drive controller.

antmannz
01-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Yes, the power cable is connected.

I wouldn't be able to view the partition status otherwise.

antmannz
01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I think the driver emulates SCSI.
There are no other drives in the machine other than the CD and floppy.

I've set the boot process to CD then SCSI as first and second respectively with all others disabled.

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Another thing they can try is update to the latest BIOS. If they havent yet

Graham L
01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
"Yes, the power cable is connected". A very restrained response. Well done. :D

So the software is seeing the disk, but not liking what's in the partition table. It has always been possible to damage a partition table so MS will cough on it. One byte is enough. ;-)

I presume Seagate make a diagnostic routine available. That should be able to clear the first few sectors so FDISK can cope.

These modern disks are useless as boat anchors. They don't have eyebolts, anyway. RK05s, yes. 400 lb. :D

Big John
01-09-2004, 07:20 PM
> ... "BIOS set to SCSI" . Are there other allowable
> settings? SATA are ATA , not SCSI, though I suppose
> the driver might make them emulate SCSI. Just a
> thought. :-)

That is correct. You load the driver and it emulates the SCSI. Needed for RAID setups most definately.
However my MB will allow the SATA to be seen as eing on the IDE buss. Cannot have IDE drives then though.

Budda
02-09-2004, 09:50 AM
you might want to give the sata data connectors a bit of a wiggle, i have found that sometime they are "loose" and then you dont get proper dection of the drive a good push and a reboot have worked before for me.

they just dont look as sturdy as the old ide connectors :(

JJJJJ
02-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Check for a bios update. I had the same sort of trouble and the update fixed it. Also set the bios to auto.
Jack

antmannz
02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I noticed that the SATA connectors seemed very loose. Not a good thing and I don't really want to have to open the case and wiggle and jiggle stuff to make it work.

Solved the prob by swapping the hard drive out for an ATA133 under warranty.

Thanks everyone for your input.