PDA

View Full Version : OEM software

bk T
01-09-2004, 11:14 AM
On what condition can we buy 'OEM' software like Windows XP Home, for example? Do we have to purchase the complete system hardware (CPU, MB, display card, etc. ) together with the OEM software?

I've heard someone told me that one can actually just buy a mouse pad (hardware) together with the OEM XP Home. Is it true?

Cheers

Rob99
01-09-2004, 11:15 AM
I think you have to buy at least 3 items

metla
01-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Mousepad wont cut it,it has to be an internal component.

Like an ide cable........

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Yup anything that relates to hardware, as in a mouse / hard drive / monitor etc. Don't know about a mouse pad. I wouldn't count that as hardware.

If you brought a complete system, the OEM software would most probably be installed. You wouldn't have to buy XP Home or Pro...

When I brought one of my hdd's I got the OEM XP Home for the price, it was going at, at the time.

nzStan
01-09-2004, 11:47 AM
I spoke to one of my vendors at length about this. The definition is actually quite vague but mentioned OEM can be sold with computer components.

In one particular case OEM OS were sold with $10 power cord (but that could be an urban myth though :D ).

One legit way is to purchase a new OEM s/w with a hard drive (as in upgrading your PC).

bk T
01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
What are the differences between an OEM XP Home and Retail XP Home?

Cheers

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 11:54 AM
OEM you haveta buy something hardware based before u can buy it.

Retail u can buy it by itself. There's no other diff. They have both the same thing on them. OEM may also be cheaper than a retail version.

nzStan
01-09-2004, 11:57 AM
In very simple term,

"OEM is not transferable between PCs nor upgradable from the machine it was installed on or bought with."

Retail can be transferred from machine to machine, and in some cases can be upgraded (that was, until that damn Software Assurance was created by some harebrained Micro$0ft executive).

tommy
01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
OEM versions of Windows are supposed to be tied to the computer it was purchased for whereas a retail version can be transferred to another computer as long as it has been removed from the original PC. If the computer that you bought the OEM version for is no longer required or sold you cannot transfer the OEM version to another computer even if you have removed it from the original. Those differences are reflected in the price - OEM software is much cheaper.

metla
01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
By purchasing and installing oem software you take on the role of system builder and are responcible for providing customer assistence,This is why HP,Dell and the others have their own helplines.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/english/default.mspx

So if it goes balls up you can't (in theory anyway) ring up MS and expect help, Its not their responsibility.

bk T
01-09-2004, 12:09 PM
So, am I right to say that if I purchase a one Video Card, one HDD, and a Sound card, then, I can purchase 3 copies of the OEM OS?

metla
01-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Depends on your vendor.

bk T
01-09-2004, 12:26 PM
To conclude, there isn't any clear definition of the term 'OEM'. It's just a matter of interpretation. And, if you know your vendor well enough, he can even sell it to you without any other purchases.

It sounds like a joke.

CYaBro
01-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Once when trying to sell one of my clients a few Windows XP Pro Upgrades that they needed for a few Win98 PC's I quoted them the Windows XP Pro Upgrade Retail box as you should.
Then I found out a couple of days later that another company had sold them OEM copies, at a much cheaper rate obviously, and they did not have to buy any hardware/components!
I spoke to my Microsoft contact about this and they said they know it happens but they don't really worry about it as long as the OEM software is a legal copy because they are too busy chasing people selling pirated copies.
Now, if I'ed known that then I could have made the sale :(

bk T
01-09-2004, 01:08 PM
> ...
> Now, if I'ed known that then I could have made the
> sale :(

Well, it's never too late to learn