PDA

View Full Version : sp2 firewall

drcspy
01-09-2004, 09:16 AM
for some reason tho i keep enabling it when i chek it always shows as not enabled.........grrrrrrrrr...........well I use zonealarm too which always worked with sp1.....however i recently got jetstream, (won a year free !) cant figure this one out.........

Jim B
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
If you are running Zonealarm would it not be better to have the SP2 firewall off to avoid conflicts.

drcspy
01-09-2004, 10:08 AM
[url=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2] Programs and sp2

my version of zone is not mentioned there.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
> my version of zone is not mentioned there.

That wasn't the inference. The point was the fact that 2 firewalls don't interact well, just as two AV programs tend not to co-exist peacefully.

It's overkill and more likely to break things.

Terry Porritt
03-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Odd, this thread and Heatons above. Two instances of the XP SP2 firewall not being on by default on booting . Then there are instances of maybe 2 soft firewalls not liking each other, whilst other people say there is no problem running 2 firewalls together.

My XP SP2 firewall is on by default, it doesn't default to off, and also, it co-exists happily with Kerio version2.1.5 without any problems so far.

drcspy
03-09-2004, 05:04 PM
GUESS I could disable zonealarm and then enable the xp firewall and see if it 'stays' enabled...........however.....if it doesnt I'm taking a bit of a risk and i HATE viruses etc..........so i'll stick with zone.......... :-)

Elephant
03-09-2004, 11:25 PM
> GUESS I could disable zonealarm and then enable the
> xp firewall and see if it 'stays'
> enabled...........however.....if it doesnt I'm taking
> a bit of a risk and i HATE viruses etc..........so
> i'll stick with zone.......... :-)

Just as a matter of interest. When I was on a dial up connection using Xtra for years I did not use, or install ever, a firewall.

My reasoning was that I would not be using a static IP address as Xtra addresses are dynamic. I might add that using the Xtra service as I was I did not get any Worms or Trojans come in through the Internet connection only through an open port.

Since then I have now gone to a broadband service and the modem I had has been removed and disconnected from my computer. This means that my computer can't dial out using my phone line like to 0900 numbers etc.

Now that I have a static IP address and an "always on" connection and my computer is running 24/7 I thought it prudent to install a firewall and have used a few of them. Currently running the firewall which came with WinXP SP2.

I have also used Norton Antivirus 2003 and that was fine on my system.

Using IE as browser and Outlook 2003 as an Email client.
For the last month or so I have used AVG free version for antivirus.

I am not suggesting for a minute that Windows ( any version ) is totally secure. Some versions are more secure than others.

Best security in my opinion is to have a lock on the door where your computer is and allow no person in there. This, unfortunately, may have to include your well meaning friends and possibly your Grandchildren even. You may even have to remove a floppy drive from your system and lock the CD Drive you have.

Even Linux users may have problems if a person has access to the computer.

In my opinion a lock on your door is better than a firewall in general terms.

wotz
04-09-2004, 09:42 PM
How do you get rid of the MS nag screens when you disable the firewall? They think we are stupid if we don't use their deficient one.

Mzee
10-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Services
Windows Firewall/Internet .......
Right click, properties
Start up type, Disable
Apply, OK

If you don't want nags at all, do the same to 'security center'.
Mine kept on telling me that mt AV was out of date when it wasn't & also kept on about auto updates being off. I know its off!!!

Miami Steve
10-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Terry,

I too installed SP2 last weekend, with the latest version of ZA Pro running, and the XP firewall was disabled automatically. The installation of SP2 also informed me that this had been done as it wasn't recommended that more than one firewall be active at one time. Don't know whether it was because it was the latest version of ZA or not, but I'm glad to say that the whole installation went perfectly - took around 10 to 15 minutes, restarted and worked immediately.

Cheers
Miami

mikebartnz
11-09-2004, 09:45 AM
>Currently running the firewall which came with WinXP SP2.
Sorry but that does not deserve to be called a firewall as it does not control any out going connections only incoming.