PDA

View Full Version : Still have the flashing box on my desktop

av4tarnz
01-09-2004, 12:15 AM
I posted a message on July 1 about an annoying box on my desktop that flashes ( see "Annoying flashing box on desktop") and amougst some of the 'smart-arse' responses, people recomended using SpyBot and Ad-Aware, which I did, BUT THAT BOX IS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I've looked into the Startup of the System Configuration Utility and turned off some of the programs I knew for sure.
All I have running now are:

SOUNDMAN
NvCPl
nwiz
CAgent
WkUFind
avgcc32
dumprep 0 -k
qtask
evntsvc
disjmrbu
WinUpdt
msbb
bargains
msmsgs
NVMCTRAY
rundll32
ZoneAlarm

I understand that most of these are essential programs but if anyone can spot anything unwanted in this list please let me know.

Cheers
Av4tarnz

Mike
01-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Are you able to post a screenshot of this flashing box?

Mike.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
01-09-2004, 12:23 AM
> disjmrbu

No results in Google - looks dodgy

> msbb

Spyware: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/msbb/

> bargains

Spyware (woulda thought this one was obvious):
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/bargains/

Rob99
01-09-2004, 12:30 AM
If you use XP right click the desk top (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/desktop_items.jpg)
If that does not apply take a note of what is on and what is off in the startup then switch them all off, slow process but switch them back on one at a time, rebooting each time.
HTH

beama
01-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Has this flashing box got a title? normaly found in the blue bar across the top of it , what is the message within and yes as someone else asked can you provide a screen shot. Press the alt and printscreen key then paste into a ms paint, infranveiw or simular application then save as jpg. upload the image to here http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/ , dont forget to provide us a link to the image once you are done

johnboy
01-09-2004, 09:49 AM
here is your startup list a lot off it does'nt need to be running on startup plus you have a few spyware programs to get rid of.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
soundman - soundman.exe - Process Information
Process File: soundman or soundman.exe
Process Name: Avance Sound Effect Manager
Description: System tray bar application that provides support to control the Sony/Philips Digital Interface input and output. The application also allows a user to change the function of the input and output ports of a soundcard from Line-In, Line-Out, and MIC to Front, Rear, and Centre speakers.
Company: Realtek Avance Logic Inc.
System Process: No
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Filename: nvcpl.dll,nvstartup
Program Title: NvCplDaemon
Rating: 3 ( Users Choice (application need to be run at startup, but is not system critical) )
Comments: Intializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Disable if you overclock your card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nwiz - nwiz.exe - Process Information
Process File: nwiz or nwiz.exe
Process Name: NVIDIA nView Wizard
Description: Application that allows a users to have 32 virtual desktops, get a desktop larger than the viewable area of the monitor, divide the display across more than one monitor, manage applications, and many more features.
Company: NVIDIA Corporation
CAgent.exe
Program Title: CAgent
Rating: 2 ( Not Required at Startup - Application Launcher, Microsoft Office Application )
Comments: Abbyy Fine Reader OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software for scanning and converting documents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------wkufind - wkufind.exe - Process Information
Process File: wkufind or wkufind.exe
Process Name: Wkufind
Description: Update detector for Microsoft Works 2002 PictureIt. If the detector is enabled, it tries to dial your Internet service provider, connect to the Internet, and download any updates available.
Company: Microsoft Corp.

avgcc32.exe AVG_CC or avgcc32 4 AVG anti-virus control center. Also enables scheduled tests, Outlook E-mail plug-in and automatic updates

avgcc32.exe /STARTUP AVG_CC 3 AVG Anti-Virus Resident Scanner. If you are running AVG, then best to leave this alone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
qtask.exe
QTaskStartup 3 Feature of Quicken.com Brokerage to customize and display Desktop Alerts and icon. It is not required for the Quicken Program to run correctly, it is only required for the Desktop Alerts feature
evntsvc.exe
tkbell.exe TkBellExe or TkBell.Exe 2 Application Scheduler installed along with RealOne Player. Once installed, it runs independently of RealOne Player. See here for more information, including how to disable it. Also see evntsvc and Realsched. Note that eventsvc.exe no longer appears to be in a newer version. To disable "tkbell.exe" in the new version (1) Start RealOne Player (2) Tools -> Preferences (3) Automatic services in the Categories pane (4) Uncheck all options and then OK
disjmrbu
?????????
WinUpdt
Windows update?
msbb.exe
MSBB 1 Advertising spyware
turn off
bargains.exe
bargainbuddy.exe
bargains 1 Bargain Buddy - advertising spyware installed with Net2Phone & LimeWire amongst others.
msmsgs.exe
MSMSGS 2 MSN Messenger utility. If you don't use MSN Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> Programs. Go to MS Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"
NVMCTRAY.dll,
nvtaskbarinit NvMediaCenter 0 System Tray icon used to manage settings for nVidia based graphics cards. May be required for some 3D applications to recognize your card correctly - such as the game "Everquest". Otherwise, settings can be changed manually via Display Properties
could be anything
rundll32 (http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php)
hth

johnboy
01-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Looks like you need to get rid of this too. i thought it may have been windows update but it is'nt.
WinUpdt
here (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38817)
here (http://computercops.biz/postt65984.html)
Are you sure this "disjmrbu" is spelled correctly? follow the instructions in the first link and do some of the online scans to help you clear the spyware off your computer.
hth

tweak\'e
01-09-2004, 10:32 AM
is adaware/spybot both fully upto date? did you do a full system scan ?

is AVG upto date? did you do a full system scan?

you might want to try an online antivirus such as housecall in case something as damaged AVG.

before doing a scan take everything out of startup and reboot. if there is anything runing after the reboot then try to shut that process (or ctrl/alt/del it) down.

if that dosn't help you may need cwshredder and hijack this.

Mary H
01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
totally different suggestion... but have you enabled your "active desktop"??

I'm guessing that you are using XP. Try this:
right-click the desktop > properties > "desktop" tab > "customize desktop" button >
are there any items listed in the "Web Pages:" box? if so untick or "delete" them.

HTH!!