PDA

View Full Version : Converting Word files to pdf

Joe Davies
31-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a MS Word plug-in that will convert Word docs to pdfs?

I'm told there's one on Adobe's website, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where to look?

I do have Acrobat Distiller 5.0, so I can make Pagemaker files into pdfs, but I can't make the conversion from Word files to pdfs without going to that website that only lets you do five before you have to start paying.

Any help much appreciated.

Joe Davies

TideMan
31-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Open Office does this, and it's free (see July CD from PC World), but it doesn't convert encapsulated postscript (i.e. .eps) figures :-(

beama
31-08-2004, 11:47 PM
not a word plugin and can be a pain to setup under xp but check it out if you wish freepdf (http://www.geocities.com/thompso_m1/)

Growly
31-08-2004, 11:53 PM
I installed Acrobat 6.0 Pro and it popped up on my toolbar...

andrew93
01-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Hi Tideman, thanks for the tip on converting text documents to pdf using Open Office - I never saw that until now. Who needs Adobe Pro when Open Office is free?

Rob99
01-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Try going File > Print > select your pdf printer from the drop-down box at the top, where you would normaly see the default printer.

Murray P
01-09-2004, 01:43 AM
CutePDF (freeware version) is another usefull tool. No water marks or extraneous text added. You'll need to install Ghostscipt for it to work but there are good instructions, as mentioned you select CutePDF in the Print dialogue instead of your usual printer then slect a file name and output location, easy peasy.

I use it when in windows and OO when in Linux. I've found PDF is a great way to archive files including burning to CD as it seems to be less corruptible than Word doc's.

Cheers Murray P

Dolby Digital
01-09-2004, 09:53 AM
>>as it seems to be less corruptible than Word doc's.
Your card is marked - Bill G

FeuerBrennt
01-09-2004, 10:53 AM
I think I saw a program on a netguide cd that would do this....I think its called primopdf, but its good to check your netguide cds...

Joe Davies
01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi!

Thanks for the tip - CutePDF works a treat. Real easy and really fast. It picked up a Word doc with some pretty tricky formatting and rendered it perfectly - and almost instantly.

I found it at cutepdf.com if anyone else wants it.

Thanks heaps. You people are marvellous!

Joe Davies

merlin-nz
01-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for that FeuerBrennt looks damn good, the only thing is its 10MB big.

A bit large to download on dailup.

Anyone seen it on the PC World CD's.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

cadifan
01-09-2004, 08:50 PM
I use PDF995 (http://www.pdf995.com/)