PDA

View Full Version : Files becoming undeletable!

Wilky
31-08-2004, 08:39 PM
This has been a problem for a long time now, and I've put up with it for long enough.
Randomly, for no explanation, I cannot delete certain exe files. They just make themselves unoverwriteable. This seems to be completely random, they'll be deletable, patchable (for games and such,) but for no reason, some of them just become unmodifiable! There is no special file tag set, nothing that would explain it. My UT2004 exe is an example of this. I can't patch it, if I try to delete it, it says "File is in use." It's NOT in use. Restarting doesn't fix it. It's not read only, and all permissions are set correctly. It just randomly locked itself in! What's causing this? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Spacemannz
31-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Some trojans etc (besides game exes), may use names of games if theyve somehow been installed and run in the background. And run as soon as you boot Windows up. The commands usually reside in the registry.

When you say the file is use, does that file appear under processes, in the Task Manager??

And when you try and delete certain files, are you uninstalling it first??

Before trying to delete it / the folder its in. Usually, if you try and remove any file, if it hasn't been uninstalled, it may say the file is in use.

Wilky
31-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Windows says the file is in use, but it is not appearing in the running processes list. I have up to date antivirus and I constantly scan, but I'll scan again. And it isn't an installation problem. This happened with a file which I was burning to CD as well. I couldn't delete it from the writing to CD folder, but a few weeks later, I was able to delete it. Extremely odd.

Spacemannz
31-08-2004, 09:28 PM
try this site for an online scan. See what happens

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Umm yer cant comment about XP's built in burner. I dont use it. I use DirectCD / CD Creator / Nero... Is SP1 or SP2 installed on your system??

Wilky
31-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Only SP1 ATM, I'll install SP2 once all the bugs have been found and fixed. It's been happening for months, with stuff such as the All Seeing Eye as well.

Wilky
01-09-2004, 08:35 AM
So can nobody help?

Wilky
01-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Yes! I solved it! The problem was caused by y'zdock which was loading the icon file from the EXE. I closed it and lo and behold: it works!

Rob99
01-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Glad you got your problem sorted.

Here is a tip if you cant delete a file.

This info is for XP but should apply to other versions.

-Open a Command Prompt window.

-Close any open windows.

-Close explorer.exe there are two ways
-1--start > Turn off computer, hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT and press the CANCEL button.
-2--CTRL+ALT+DEL and End task in the process tab

-Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the command prompt type del <filename>.

-Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.