PDA

View Full Version : Could someone who has Woosh help us out please

PressF1 User
31-08-2004, 05:14 PM
We currently have DSL which is quite expensive for us. We've know that Woosh is not good for online gaming because of the high ping times - but how bad is it really?
(1) Could someone who has Woosh connect to a Steam (CS) game server and tell us what sort of ping times you are getting please.
(2) What is Woosh like for voice, such as MSN Messenger or Skype - are the lag times very great?
(3) What about recieving video streams or rado stations?
If you use a boost antenna I'd be interested to know what the service is like for you too.
Thanks to whoever can help us out with this info - cheers.

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 05:20 PM
How close are you to your nearest tower??
We are right on the edge of the limit and get 180ms pings on average.
I know people who are right under the tower who get 30ms pings to certain places :-)

> (1) Could someone who has Woosh connect to a Steam
> (CS) game server and tell us what sort of ping times
> you are getting please.
How close are you to the tower and server affects this. Booster Antennae will help too!

> (2) What is Woosh like for voice, such as MSN
> Messenger or Skype - are the lag times very great?
Skype rocks :-)

> (3) What about recieving video streams or rado
> stations?
Yeah no worries!

> If you use a boost antenna I'd be interested to know
> what the service is like for you too.
Yes, I do at work, it wont work for us without it :p

Chill.

PressF1 User
31-08-2004, 05:38 PM
A ping of 180 on the edge of reception is actually much better than I though it would be - we could live with that for sure.

How stable are the ping times - does it jump up and down much - and do you notice much interference from outside sources? They tell us that weather is not really a problem.

R2x1
31-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi there,
I don't get ping times as good as that very often, 300 is quick, over 1 sec is not unheard of. Skype was not too good - aside from the "parasite activity" factor. Since I usually am only interested in up and down loading, the speed is great for me, as long as I stick to low activity times, like the early AM hours, I get download speeds way in excess of the advertised rates, upload speeds the same, I don't mind that a bit. :) Weather makes no difference here, and I do use the external antenna. I find the data cap (A pretty nebulous figure) to be quite acceptable, if I wish to download 3 or 4 cd's worth of Linux, I just do it.
Ping times are the only snag, and not even that worries me for my usage pattern. I use Linux 90 % of the time, and Win XP for the rest, both are via the ethernet cable. (more expense.)
Cheers,
R2

Graham L
31-08-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm curious. I don't know whether I'm in the coverage area yet, but I'm sort of tempted. :D Is the $199 for the receiver with a USB interface? Is the ethernet cable a non-standard one --- because I would want to use Linux?

PressF1 User
31-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi Graham - this will tell you if you're in the coverage area - type your street, number, and town (on the left) - and then click 'Check'

http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Homepage/Home.aspx

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 06:35 PM
The LAN cable works fine in Linux with rp-pppoe, but the cable is an extra $35 IIRC over and above the $199 for the modem.

Chill.

R2x1
31-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Standard Modem set-up is with the USB cable (Supplied). The ethernet cable is a special to suit the rather novel connector to the modem, and there is a "lump" in the cable toward the modem end, with a LED to indicate connection. This is for the earlier modem, I am only assuming the current unit may be somewhat similar.
Even in Windoze, I find the ethernet connection better overall (not quite so simple to set up, but still just a "do what it says in the order it says" process).
R2

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Mind me asking why you prefer the Ethernet cable?

R2x1
31-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Performance in jet car when doing multi-part downloads seems to be "sweeter" and faster. blowed if I could put numbers to it though. Also, it means I don't have to swap cables when going between XP and a real O/S. :O
(Ducks)
R2