PDA

View Full Version : How do you decompress a drivespace file

Davesdad
31-08-2004, 04:56 PM
A friend has upgraded his PC from Win95 to 98se. The HDD was FAT16 and compressed using drvspace. He backed up the contents of the drive to a FAT 32 formatted drive. He wants to restore his files but they are ina file called Drvspace.000.

How can he decompress the file and restore his data.

Davesdad

Graham L
31-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Probably by installing W95. :D

It might not be that bad. I would try using a W95 boot floppy. I think that loads the DRVSPACE driver, and that would give access. Then a bit of xcopying might bring back a smile to your faces. A W95 recovery disk would "almost certainly" do it. You might be able to load the DRVSPACE during the W98 boot, but the floppy way would be safer.

Microsoft have a consistent record of making one version's Backup/Restore not handle files produced by the previous ones. X-( I shudder to think what they might have done with compressed hard disks.

Davesdad
31-08-2004, 05:50 PM
> Probably by installing W95. :D

I found the answer on Google. Connect the second drive as slave. Run Disk compression utility under System tools and mount the compressed file then copy the files as required. :) :) :)

Graham L
31-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Heads will roll at Microsoft. An easy way to transfer files from one version to another? :O