PDA

View Full Version : Wot - no free CD

Peter H
31-08-2004, 04:02 PM
For us sensible (non XP) users. Have fun one & all, and I'll read about your trials and tribulations.
Bye

Jen C
31-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Real handy to have though for your friends who run XP.

Seeing as the NZ PC World CD was purely for WinXP users, it must be time again for Linux users to get a dedicated CD with the magazine :p

A live CD of the latest Knoppix or even SuSE 9.1, or even better, an install CD for Yoper which is a New Zealand home grown Linux distro (even has a silver fern on the LILO boot manager) :D

Murray P
31-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Yup! Not much good to me with win2k & Linux here. I was, however thinking of copying it to a CD with some other patches and security software for some collegues but, was a little concerned at the copyright issues this may raise.

Jen, you've obviously installed Yoper (update 2.1.0 last week I believe), It was the first distro I attempted to install. It (V1) didn't like my nForce board and I didn't have the ability to fix it. How's the new one assuming your running V2?

Cheers Murray P

Peter H
31-08-2004, 04:42 PM
I do use windows - 98se - and happy with it. Have played with Linux, but it is a hassle getting periphials working. ISA modem for a start.
Bye

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I agree - I think it would be an excellent idea to talk to Andreas about bundling Yoper v2.10 one month!!

Sure, WinXP SP2 is good.... but personally I have no need for it :p
Thanks anyways, Im sure I can find somebody who is unfortunate enough to need the CD ;-)

Murray:
The new Yoper shows nothing short of excellence all around! Its great!!! Grab it from the JSG FTP (Dont forget to connect to the Realm first).

Chill.

Jen C
31-08-2004, 04:47 PM
> Jen, you've obviously installed Yoper (update 2.1.0
> last week I believe), It was the first distro I
> attempted to install. It (V1) didn't like my
> nForce board and I didn't have the ability to fix it.
> How's the new one assuming your running V2?

Yeah, I have Yoper 2.1.0-4 installed which is the latest release. Comes with the 2.6.8.1-3 kernel and KDE 3.3.3. It is lovely! :D

I have it on my older P3 machine (removable drive caddys' are great!) and it detected all my hardware first pop including my Likom monitor which normally ends up as a generic monitor with me having to edit the frequencies and syncs myself to match the specifications. It even has the nVidia driver module pre-loaded for my graphic card.

With the latest kernel and all, it is definately worth downloading off the jetstream games server and trying again. Very smooth looking - default desktop (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/yoperV2.jpg)

Dolby Digital
31-08-2004, 08:53 PM
>>it must be time again for Linux users to get a dedicated CD with the magazine
PC World should be like PC Authority or PC User ex Aussie and go to 2 disks per issue. Of course they might have to increase the price (nah :) )

Earnie Moore
31-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Yes I agree I don't have windows XP either.

as a protest I refuse to post any more jokes next month and that not all, I refuse to post any OT for the whole of next month, (or until my memory comes back or goes away or something)

And what will I do since I can not afford SKY "GETTING A LIFE"

Murray P
01-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Grabbed Yoper earlier tonight, tried to boot but Meps's Lilo got in the way and wouldn't let me boot to the CD (MD5's checked out BTW). Will have a look at Lilo to see what I can do, any suggestions are welcome. Anyone who wants a copy of Yoper or Mepis in lieu of SP2 are also welcome ;)

Cheers Murray P

JJJJJ
01-09-2004, 06:23 AM
What? I didn't think Linux needed a full disk of repair material.
Jack :^O

pulling hair out
01-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Good one Jack :^O :^O :^O

XP2 will be a headache but all that preparing that Linux users have to go through should help them understand what we are going through.

Having said that, I actually went to the Yoper Home site in the early hours.
Had a look at some screen shots and it does look good.
Esp. the blue cobbled street,hanging lantern etc.

Followed threads of an earlier post, Chilling Silence made Yoper easy to install and use. Was impressed with the fact he didn't do any fanatical "sell" on it.
I would consider trying it out if I understood dual booting and partitioning.

But would always keep windows as well because my programs wouldn't work on the open system.

Baldy
01-09-2004, 08:28 AM
> Yup! Not much good to me with win2k & Linux here. I
> was, however thinking of copying it to a CD with some
> other patches and security software for some
> collegues but, was a little concerned at the
> copyright issues this may raise.
>

You could of course get your collegues to BUY a copy of PCWorld so they can get thier own CD Murray, and support IDG who look after us by providing this wonderful forum.
I hope no-one else is making copies. That would be very naughty

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Murray:
If its not booting, set your PC to boot off CD-Rom, run through the setup, and at the end you have the option of a Boot Floppy - make one :-)

Murray P
01-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Lol Baldy, yes they should and I'll encourage it's purchase but I was also going to add a few security goodies with help files I've written, like how to install a programme ;). This will be about CD version 3 and is more in the way of a preemptive strick I know I'll need because they'll be ringing me up or sending emails soon. The laughable thing is they can't tell the difference between me and an expert, very sad.

Chill, BIOS is set to boot to floppy then CD then HDD, always is. Boot choices are: Mepis (Linux, default), failsafe, memtest & MSWin but I've figured that isn't the problem as Knoppix will boot fine. MD5's check ok for both downloaded and burnt iso's. For some reason it's just not bootable (2 discs burnt so far) will have to look at my Nero settings although, initially they look fine.

Cheers Murray P

robo
01-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Peter
I am sure you will know someone who can use it. It's going into my toolbag.
robo.

Peter H
01-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Alongside me is my other computer - XPpro - which my son uses. Keeps him off mine, but when I suggested that he install SP2, no way. Quite happy with his firewall & AVG. I'm inclined to agree with him, but then he is computer savvy and knows the traps out there. For Joe Bloggs, a different story maybe.
Bye