PDA

View Full Version : I am about to biff Win XP Home ...

intelliagent
31-08-2004, 03:22 PM
in the Bin, and start with Win 98 again.

At least with 98 - when you wanted it to do something it did ... not stuff around, do nothing, then when it eventually did - it does something else.

I might try and find a user friendly version of Linux - anyone know of one?

cheers
B)

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Yoper! (http://www.yoper.com)

Ive fallen in love with Yoper!

Having been through a lot of Linux Distro's, such as Redhat/Fedora, Mandrake, Xandros, Slackware, and Gentoo, I wasnt really happy with any of them because they appeared bulky, not too fast, and came with tons of excessive applications I didnt need (All bar Gentoo Linux which simply took days to get going due to its nature).

Yoper has been great for me, and Ive also given it to two "never-used-linux-before" friends of mine.
Its fast, easy to use, good looking, and if I can simply sit and watch two of my friends install it and use it without any assistance, then anybody can do it :-)

If you have Jetstream, Connect to the JSG Realm and get it from ftp://ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz

Cheers

Chill.

CYaBro
31-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey Chill,

I'm just trying to install Yoper (just downloaded!) but it keeps saying 'No Linux Parition found'.
How do I get around this??
What partitions should I be making in qtparted?

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 04:51 PM
You want to leave your windows (If dual-booting) and make:
Ext3
Linux SWAP

The Swap partition should ideally be between 192MB and 512MB, depending on your amount of RAM. If you'll be using suspend-to-disk (Like Hibernation - Which Ive never done) then you should have twice as much SWAP as RAM.

I've always allocated 256MB, Regardless of the OS or amount of Ram etc.

Do this, and it'll proceed and ask you what you want to use as Swap. Press Spacebar on the only Swap partition and continue
It'll ask you about a /home partition. You dont have a /home partition, so cancel that (Read and re-read it if you get lost).
From there, it'll ask you for a root (/) partition, choose the Ext3 paritition you made earlier.

Next, it'll ask you what File-system type you want.
I wouldnt go with anything but Reiser4. Its now incredibly stable, and technically unbreakable! Its fast as hell, and a lot better in stability and speed over reiserfs (AKA reiser3) and Ext3.

Only thing is you'll have to use Lilo (Which is recommended anyways) and not Grub for a Boot Manager.

Chill.

CYaBro
31-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Cheers! That worked.

leonidas5
31-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Chill
Your enthusiasm is infectious so I'll try Yopper as an absolutely new Linux user.... but where in the games directories, please?

I'm using jetstream.

Thanks

Leon (dumber than Dumber on this one)

intelliagent
31-08-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure but try:

ftp://ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/dist/yoper/

that might be a good start point

cheers
B)

Jen C
31-08-2004, 08:39 PM
> I'm not sure but try:
> ftp://ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/dist/yoper/

That is correct. You want the ISO in that directory yos-i686-2.1.0-4.iso (709604 KB), plus you should grab the MD5SUMS figure to check against your downloaded ISO to make sure it is not corrupt.

leonidas5
31-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks..... but 690mb is too rich a download for my 1 gig a month plan. Does anyone have it on a cd for swap, loan, purchase, other?
I'm in Blenheim.

Thanks

Leon

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Im happy to post you a Disc if you want...
Why dont you connect to the JetStream Games Realm though and get it? It wont count as cost towards your bandwidth!

Simply connect as you normally would, but with the username:
username@jetstreamgames.co.nz
And any password will do :-)

You are limited to just connecting to Jetstreamgames.co.nz (and one or two other specific servers), but that's cool coz it means you can get Yoper at 8mbps and it wont count towards your monthly total!

Otherwise, Email me:
Chill [at] Dimension [dot] net [dot] nz

Chill.

leonidas5
31-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Chill
You have the good oil- didn't know about the free download element to the games site, not being a gamer at all.

Thanks

Will do as you suggest.

Leon

Mike
31-08-2004, 10:32 PM
> in the Bin, and start with Win 98 again.

Rather than the bin - any chance you might want to drop it in the post box? :D

Mike.

willie_M
31-08-2004, 11:21 PM
I have yoper 3.3.3 - not sure how old it is but would be willing to post it off to people for a few pennies in the way of postage.

Also, intelliagent, try windows 2000. Its like a clean stripped down fast version of XP. XP is just a 2k kernel with a big bowl of jello tipped over it...

oh yeah, if you want suse, mandrake, lycoris, xandros, or fedora core 1, i'll be happy to sell them for a measly price.

email me: edev_nz[at]hotmail[dot]com

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Yoper 3.3.3?

The latest is v2.10-4?!

whistlerspa
31-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Try Mandrake Linux 10.0 easy enough to install and configure

intelliagent
01-09-2004, 12:02 AM
> > in the Bin, and start with Win 98 again.
>
> Rather than the bin - any chance you might want to
> drop it in the post box? :D
>
> Mike.

Nah mate - after my experiences ... wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy's

B)

Mike
01-09-2004, 12:25 AM
> > > in the Bin, and start with Win 98 again.
> >
> > Rather than the bin - any chance you might want to
> > drop it in the post box? :D
> >
> > Mike.
>
> Nah mate - after my experiences ... wouldn't wish it
> on my worst enemy's

Ah - so you're not really binning it then ;) clever excuse :p

Mike.

willie_M
01-09-2004, 12:49 AM
hmm, lemme go check..

oh my bad... the cds labeled YOS_20040419

where teh hell did i get 3.3.3 from i wonder...

MartynC
01-09-2004, 12:15 PM
> Simply connect as you normally would, but with the
> username:
> username@jetstreamgames.co.nz
> And any password will do :-)
>
> You are limited to just connecting to
> Jetstreamgames.co.nz (and one or two other specific
> servers), but that's cool coz it means you can get
> Yoper at 8mbps and it wont count towards your monthly
> total!

Did this & downloaded Americas Army in 15 Minutes!!!, better than the 13 hrs + i was looking at in 128K Jetstream!.

Is there any site i can go to while connected to see the speed i am on with the Jetstreamgames login? ie iam i at 2, 4 or 8 mbps etc etc :D

nzStan
01-09-2004, 12:25 PM
> Did this & downloaded Americas Army in 15 Minutes!!!,
> better than the 13 hrs + i was looking at in 128K
> Jetstream!.

Ooooo AAO. Make sure you check in at the JSG forum (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=573) where the NZ AAO'ers gather.

And to see who from NZ are playing see this page (http://aaotracker.4players.de/worldwar.php?sortby=status&order=DESC&sid=3a3eb4a388621caa9cd83437932bbdc9&country=NewZealand&send=send&x=7&y=14).

Murray P
01-09-2004, 12:37 PM
> where teh hell did i get 3.3.3 from i wonder

KDE ?

To get your speed just look at the download rate, if it's given in Kilo Bytes multiply by 8 to get the bit rate eg, 16KB x 8 = 128kb (kilo bits), 32KB x 8 = 256kb and so on.

The JSG (router) logon also works on Paradise Games and ftp.

Cheers Murray P

MartynC
01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
But I didn't get a speed indication when transffering from the FTP to my local drive, jsut a copying dialog like in WinXP

> To get your speed just look at the download rate, if
> it's given in Kilo Bytes multiply by 8 to get the bit
> rate eg, 16KB x 8 = 128kb (kilo bits), 32KB x 8 =
> 256kb and so on.

What the paradise games address?

> The JSG (router) logon also works on Paradise Games
> and ftp.
>
> Cheers Murray P

Thanks
B-)

Murray P
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Firefox or Mozilla have download managers with a progress bar and dialogue not sure what IE does these days.

http://gamers.paradise.net.nz/ servers and files down at the bottom of the page.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 02:35 PM
You're right Murray - Firefox, Opera, Konqueror... Anything other than IE would be better ;-)

IE turns into its "explorer-like" interface when doing FTP Transactions, and so it looks like you're browsing your HDD. It then only tells you the time remaining for the transfer but not the actual speed.

I was reaching 680KB/s while on JSG. I grabbed Fedora Core 2 while I was there ;-)

intelliagent
01-09-2004, 02:38 PM
> Ah - so you're not really binning it then ;) clever
> excuse :p
>
> Mike.

B-)

Although, I like whistlerspa's idea
"Try Mandrake Linux 10.0 easy enough to install and configure"

very B-)

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Ive not used the latest Mandrake so I cant compare... Last time I used Mandrake (8.0, 9.0, 9.1) I had nothing but issues, so I went for Slackware ;-)

Whatever floats your boat, if it works for you.... Then why not :-)

intelliagent
01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
> Ive not used the latest Mandrake so I cant compare...
> Last time I used Mandrake (8.0, 9.0, 9.1) I had
> nothing but issues, so I went for Slackware ;-)
>
> Whatever floats your boat, if it works for you....
> Then why not :-)

Q.1. - what is slackware?

Q.2. - what issues did you have with Mandrake?

I have not yet tried linux - I might be tempted after all the cr@p that XP-home dishes up on a regular basis ... I will definately be going back to Win-98, and give XP to the kids computer (they want their own specific logins and userspace) ... I can't see that XP is a major uplift to the home user, it just gives th OS total control and the user has to suck on it.

thanks for all of the linux info though - I might get brave enough and have a go one day soon

cheer
B)

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Slackware is the longest standing Linux Distro. More designed for those who've used Linux for a while and are comfortable with the command-line.

Mandrake never liked my Graphics Card / Monitor, Networking was hard to configure.

Yoper is a nice fast OS that really puts you in control :-)

Cheers

Chill.