PDA

View Full Version : What's the way to go???

JJJJJ
31-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Time to think about a new computer.
Firstly I don't need one. A 486/100 would do everything I need, just about as fast as my P4.
I just want one!
I will stick with Pentium. How close is a P5?
With the P4's comming with different numbers of pins, which m/board and cpu. Which chipset? I have 865 springdale (?) at the moment.
And what about ram. I was reading about DDR-2. Is it any better?
I am not overly technocally minded. I'm inclined to believe what I read in magazines. (Silly)
Secondly what is the diff between a PC and what is advertised as a server?
Jack

intelliagent
31-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Just get a Celeron 4 - fast enough fr most home users (or a second hand P3)

A Server is designed for business networks and is a bit of overkill in a home situation - like using a jack-hammer to crack a nut

cheers
B)

R2x1
31-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Hello there-
To work out the way to go, establish where you are, ascertain where you want to be, and go in the appropriate direction. Sounds like a new case, better screen and a light dusting of the present hardware before putting it in the new case would do just fine.
Do you still frequent the aero-club?
R2

Graham L
31-08-2004, 03:32 PM
A server is (or should be) designed for reliabilty.
Real servers often have hot-swappable disks and power supplies. They cost real money.

Most "PC"s are not quite as good. They will often be faster. But not necessarily for longer. :D

Jen C
31-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Seeing as your current *old* computer is a
Asus M/B, P4 3000 cpu. Sata HDD , 120 mb. 1024 megs DDR 400 ram you might want to hang on a bit for the new PCI Express boards so that there is a bigger range to pick from. Your CPU is already pretty much up there, so as you are not interested in a performance pick up but more of a *must have the lastest*, you could go for a P4 3.6 GHz for $$.

Have a read of the computer magazines to get an idea about the PCI Express which is being introduced.

Sb0h
31-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Servers are actually designed to run 24/7. In a server you will typically find high quality SCSI HDD's and ECC RAM (error correcting). They are designed to be stable in a workplace or corporate environment.

JJJJJ
31-08-2004, 04:30 PM
R2-x1. Haven't been to aero club for twenty years.Too old and decrepit to hold a license anymore.
Jack

R2x1
01-09-2004, 01:09 PM
20 years, might be a bit rusty then.
That's not so good (except for the wallett)
I could probably HOLD a license ok, (in either hand). Reading it might be another story.
Cheers
R2,
(Keith Wright)

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I would be inclined to go for the Hyperthreading Extreme Edition P4 if you really like Intel, otherwise I'd personally get a 64-bit AMD Chip :-)

Pentium 5? Why? Its about Clock-speeds.. they dont need to redesign the architectural layout of the chip. Increasing the FSB speeds etc is adding performance, the number on the end of the word Pentium matters little. Ive seen a P3 900Mhz overclocked to a whopping 4.1Ghz. There are similar reviews online about CPU's etc and overclocking them, as well as their _real_ speeds.

If your PC is slow, ever thought about:
Formatting
Trying another OS?

Your PC should fly! Ive got a P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB Ram and it rockets compared to anything Ive ever seen! Im running Yoper v2.10 :-)

Chill.

Murray P
01-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Just one comment on the Extreme Edition, it's Extremely Expensive for the benefits it returns which is not much, or so I've heard.

Cheers Murray P

Pete O\'Neil
01-09-2004, 07:28 PM
> Ive seen a P3 900Mhz overclocked to a whopping 4.1Ghz.
Care to provide proof?

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah.. I'll see if I can Google for the Article.

Basically they did a variety of CPU's from 486's to the latest P4 HT CPU's.
It was on a website similar to Toms Hardware....

I'll see if I can find it...