PDA

View Full Version : Delete a drive letter

tedheath
31-08-2004, 11:39 AM
After 3 months of trying to instal my Secure Digital memory card and USB reader I have given up. I smashed the memory card and the reader with the 2lb steel mallet I use in my hydraulic van for splitting hose ferrules. Cheap communist chinese junk, it flew to peices. It didnt like W98SE.
I have uninstalled the stupid software but in explorer there it is still showing drive letter D (removable drive).
I bought a 2 yr old memory stick from Trademe for $9.00 (made in Nationalist China) and it works choice. It is shown as drive G.
How do I wax drive D and will it change the memory stick drive. I have W98SE.

Thanks
tedheath

Spacemannz
31-08-2004, 11:50 AM
If you installed drivers for the old reader, did it add an entry in add/remove programs?? If so, remove it, it might remove the letter.

Or is the old reader still showing under device manager? If so, delete it.

tedheath
31-08-2004, 03:39 PM
The device is not showing in device manager.
It is just showing in explorer.

tedheath

Spacemannz
31-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Was the old reader external or internal? (connected to a USB header on the motherboard)? Was it a mass storage device? It may have been if it was something like a 6 or 7-1 card reader

And what about any entry relating to the old driver in Add/remove programs? Also look under device manager under USB/USB Mass storage. See how many times it appears under this if its there.

tedheath
31-08-2004, 06:32 PM
The card reader just plugged into usb port.
It does not show in add remove programs because I unistalled the software which come with it.
There is nothing in device manager under usb mass storage or anything.
Its just in explorer .
I just want to get rid of the drive letter.
Funny thing the Nationalist Chinese memory stick only shows up as a drive letter when the stick is plugged in.
The dumb communist chinese one never worked and the drive letter is there all the time.

thanks tedheath

tedheath
01-09-2004, 02:23 PM
bump

Can anyone help otherwise I will have to format c and start again.
thanks

tedheath

Spacemannz
01-09-2004, 02:33 PM
I cant think of anything else that'll fix it. If you had XP maybe it would be easier to remove. How many slots has this new card reader got for memory cards? More than 1?? If so, it'll usually give more than 1 removable disk in Windows Explorer. I use an Apacer 7-1 internal USB2 card reader here. And it shows 4 removable disks (j,k,l, and m).

These are for CF/MD/MS/MSPro/SD/MMC and Smartmedia cards.