PDA

View Full Version : SP2 Warning! Backup Backup Backup

jend
30-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Last week I installed SP2 on my computer. It has a firewall and AV (updated daily) and automatic updates have always been on. My computer is about a year old and has never given me any problems...until SP2.

After installing SP2 the computer would not reboot and gave me the error message that the biosinfo.inf file was missing or corrupted. I had created a system restore point prior to installing the service pack, but this was no use as i couldn't boot the computer to do a system restore. I spent over 2 hrs on the phone to microsoft's helpdesk and this has at least got windows running (although the registry has been cleared and all my programs need reloading) which has allowed me to rescue my files. I have now had to format the hard drive and reinstall windows and all of my programs.

The technician at Microsoft was very helpful, and even mentioned that I was not the first to have experience this problems upon loading SP2. Personally.... I wish I'd never laid eyes on it!!

I will install SP2 again as I understand the security benefits and need for it to allow downloading of future patches, but what a hassle it has been so far!

Word of advice.... do a good backup of your disk - not just a system restore point before installing SP2.

Big John
31-08-2004, 12:12 AM
You should always do backups regulary regardless of what you are doing. A disk crash will take out a restore point just as good as anything.

Note the some boot managers do not work with SP2 release and you will have problems with them. BootXP is one I am told by someone who just installed it. He had to remove it to get it to boot properly. Maybe this was your problem as well.

Oxie
31-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Jend

You sure have had a terrible time lately. I am pleased the help desk people you dealt with at Microsoft were helpful, and so they should be. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

By the way did Microsoft actually say you need SP2 in order to download future critical updates or was he referring specifically to patches in order to patch SP2?

Oxie (Lyn)